Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day FRI 01 AUG 14
Nix the patterns and go for solid colors when you choose pants--they make your hips and backside look smaller.
  • Good House Keeping
    The July issue is our Makeover Special! Be inspired by the weight-loss successes of The Biggest Loser’s Kayen Lazaro and Osie Nebreja, who entered the reality TV show simply wanting to lose weight but ended up gaining whole new (healthier!) lives.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Jumpstart your best body today with this month’s best foods special. Women’s Health shares over 100 of the best packaged foods for women, sourced from leading supermarkets, specialty stores, and delivery services.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: The Locks and Keys of Effective Prayer  (Read 4022 times)

babyjapnurse01

• a fulltime HeadTurner & BigSpender
  • Super GirlTalker
  • the gawjus RN! :)
    • The Pink Thought Bubble
The Locks and Keys of Effective Prayer
« on: July 07, 2011, 02:59:09 PM »
I wanna be straightforwardly honest with this, I rarely go to church, I dont really like going to church because I see that it lacks substance, I got irked when the last time i went to church, the Priest kept including the RH Bill in his sermon, I feel that its not the perfect way for me to talk to God.

Most people pray because they need to ask God for something, suffice it to say, some prayers are superficial. Thats why over time, Ive been wondering what a prayer needs for it to be effective and I came across 10 things from a book Hun and I finished reading together.

These 10 locks and keys helped my prayers to be more effective, it also made my relationship with God deeper than how it used to be.

10 Locks (Things that Hinder Prayers from Being Effective) :

1. Praying without Knowing God through Jesus

John 14:6 Jesus said to  him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

2. Praying from an Unrepentant Heart

Psalm 66:18 19 NIV If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened; but God has surely listened and heard my voice in prayer.

3. Praying for Show

Matthew 6:5 When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men.  Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

4. Praying Repetitive, Empty Words

Matthew 6:7-8 And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.  So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.

5. Prayers Not Prayed

James 4:2 You do not have because you do not ask.

6. Praying with a Lustful Heart

James 4:3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures.

7. Praying while Mistreating Your Spouse

1 Peter 3:7 You husbands in the same way, live with your wives in an understanding wayand show her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life, so that your prayers will not be hindered.

8. Praying while Ignoring the Poor

Proverbs 21:13 He who shuts his ear to the cry of the poor will also cry himself and not be answered.

9. Praying with Bitterness in Your Heart toward Someone

Mark 11:25-26 Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father who is in heaven will also forgive you your transgressions.  But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father who is in heaven forgive your transgressions.

10.     Praying with a Faithless Heart

James 1:6-8 But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one you doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind.  For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

10 Keys (Things That Make Prayer Effective)

1. Pray by Asking, Seeking and Knocking

Matthew 7:7-8,11 -- " Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives and he who seeks, finds and to him who knocks, it will be opened.. If you then, being evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him?"

2. Praying in Faith

Mark 11:24 -- "Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them and they will be granted to you"

3. Praying in Secret

Matthew 6:6 -- "But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you."

4. Pray according to God's Will

1 John 5:14 -- "This is the confidence we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He will hear us."

5. Praying in Jesus' Name

John 14:13-14 -- "Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it."

6. Praying in Agreement with Other Believers

Matthew 18:19-20 -- "Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."

7. Prayer while Fasting

Acts 14:23 -- "When they had appointed elders for them in every church, having prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord in whom they had believed."

8. Praying from an Obedient Life

1 John 3:21-22 -- "Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence before God, and whatever we ask, we receive from Him because we keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight."

9. Praying while Abiding in Christ and His Word

John 15:7 -- "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you."

10. Praying while Delighting in the Lord

Psalm 37:4 -- "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."

The Summary of the Locks and Keys of a Good Prayer :

1. You must be in the right relationship with God.

2. You must be in a right relationship with other people.

3. Your heart must be right.

This article was taken from the Book -- The Love Dare.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:08:32 PM by babyjapnurse01 »
Free speech carries with it some freedom to listen.

http://twitter.com/BabyJapDoll
The Pink Thought Bubble

BACKREAD!! NO Excuses!
[textspeak!] = MODiFY your post!

cecily

• GirlTalker
    • cecily
Re: The Locks and Keys of Effective Prayer
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 08:55:55 AM »
thanks for sharing, sis

sexy_maldita0089

• Little Miss Programmer and
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • malditang b****
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 09:58:09 AM »
Thank you po fir sharing :)

serendipity02

• nagpupumiglas na...
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • happiness.. positivity.. Love, love, love!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:07:57 AM »
thank you so much for sharing this sis..  ;D
Pray Hope and Dont worry -Father Pio

Juricks

• Love never fails.... (1 Corinthians 13:1-8a and 13)
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • Live, laugh, love. ;)
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »

sis babyjap, eto yung book sa fireproof noh? Love that movie.. Buti I came across this thread, nakalimutan ko na kasi na may book din.
Life isn't about waiting
for the storm to pass..
It's about learning to
DANCE in the RAIN...

babyjapnurse01

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 08:58:20 PM »
^ yes it is! :) kaaliw that movie no? sa sobrang love ko sa movie na yun i got 2 dvd backups na hindi ko pa binubuksan just in case masira yung current dvd na nakabukas. :D

plus the book, i also have a back-up, its something na pwede ko ipamana sa magiging anak ko, ang ganda din kasi nung values na iniinstill for each day, parang it doesnt only apply to your partner it can also improve your relationship with other. i super love this book, ang downside lang, Powerbooks rarely have stocks of it.

The Pink Thought Bubble

BACKREAD!! NO Excuses!

Juricks

• Love never fails.... (1 Corinthians 13:1-8a and 13)
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • Live, laugh, love. ;)
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 12:42:41 PM »
^ ang alam ko sis merong stocks sa may basement sa may megamall.. nakalimutan ko na lang kung anong kiosk..

thanks sis for sharing these. :)
Life isn't about waiting
for the storm to pass..
It's about learning to
DANCE in the RAIN...

Frozen Toes

• Baby Beast &
  • Super GirlTalker
    • Gym Sweetheart
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 05:07:12 PM »
I solemnly agree with your post, Jap. I hope that when people read the above, they realize na meron tayong ibang mga traditions that go against the bible. I want to highlight 1 & 4 under 10 Locks.

1. Praying without Knowing God through Jesus
John 14:6 Jesus said to  him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

4. Praying Repetitive, Empty Words
Matthew 6:7-8 And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.  So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him."

Thanks for sharing! :)

littlemissspoiledbrat

• GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 02:40:29 PM »
this is so helpful. thank you for sharing :)

buchi

• GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 06:31:25 PM »
wow! i love this thread! thank you for sharing! im printing one now! hehe

yani090479

• Junior GirlTalker
  • Work Hard for the Family
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 02:28:06 AM »
hello mga sis, after we watched the movie fireproof...i kept on surfing the net if there is a book...meron pala! san ba nakaka-buy and how much? wala ba free sa net that we can download?

yani

babyjapnurse01

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 02:26:47 PM »
^ the book is a great investment. seriously, yung akin nga iniingatan ko coz i know its something na pwede ko ipamana sa magiging anak ko. the book is worth buying. merong blogged copies in the net, pero I wont patronize that since the book is for a good cause naman. :) I have the book and you can request powerbooks to get one for you, its around Php1k sa kanila. Sa ebay ako nakabili before eh, 500 lang yung book even yung counseling version, 450 lang.

Yung weekend booksale din sa greenhills christian fellowship meron nyan, around 500 lang rin sya.

The Pink Thought Bubble

BACKREAD!! NO Excuses!

Yalli

• A loving God is in control.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 03:26:04 PM »
I love your post! It answered questions na bumabagabag sa akin like: (kanino ba talaga ako magpray sa god the father or jesus christ?) It is also an instant eye-opener to ask for forgiveness and to forgive as well.  :) :)
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what they say.

ennaer

• GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 10:19:42 PM »
Thanks for that reminder sis! ^_^

purple_tips

• GirlTalker
  • part time student/full time beauty junkie
    • Vain and Pleasure
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »
hi sis, thanks for highlighting some key points. These are also the points most frequently misunderstood by non-catholics and catholics as well.

Jesus is the sole mediator, when we ask for help from saints, it is because we believe that the saints still worship and pray to God even after their death. After all, we glorify God for all eternity, it doesn't stop just because we lose our physical bodies. So as friends, as One Church (dead and living, everyone worships God forever) we ask all our brothers and sisters to pray for us, to pray with us. Parang prayer gathering or when we ask our friends 'ui pasama naman ako sa prayers mo', we ask the saints to do the same, to include us in their prayers. That's why Catholics say 'St. _, pray for us' meaning sinasabi natin na isama nila tayo sa dasal nila. i don't force non-catholics to accept, pero eto po talaga ang turo ng Catholic Church, hindi po ginagawang diyos ang saint, dasal ang hinihingi sa kanila as friends. I don't know if sa ibang religion they ask their friends to pray with them, to pray for them, sa Catholic po kasi pwede. if you see a Catholic na sa saint po deretso humingi ng favor or sumamba, that is a non-catholic teaching. Probably misunderstood niya ang Catholic way. Kulang sa information, etc. Kaya pag may hindi ako naintindihan research and ask para maintindihan. (websites like EWTN are informative for catholics)

As regards repetitive prayers, most Catholics are guilty of 'lip-synching' parang kanta. Memorized yet without meaning. because siguro nun bata pa nauna ituro yun prayer before meditation. It's difficult but i try my best na when i pray a memorized prayer, pray from the heart.. just like songs, hindi porket minemorize mo at iba ang composer, hindi ka na makaka-relate. Sometimes we hear a song, swak satin diba, theme song level. Ganun din sa memorized prayers or prayers na iba ang gumawa at nilagay sa prayerbook, parang 'song hits' it's your choice kung anong prayer ang pinaka-ok sa situation mo.. kaya if you don't mean it, better pray with own words na lang.

krimania

• GirlTalker
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 09:22:01 AM »
Thanks sa prayers insigth mo sis,

extraordinarymee

• CONTROL YOUR MIND OR YOUR MIND WILL CONTROL YOU
    • Welcome
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 04:23:14 PM »
thanks for sharing sis..;) i agree to everything you posted..;)
==CONTROL YOUR MIND OR YOUR MIND WILL CONTROL YOU==

cutesmile_1728

• Blessed Wifey and Mommy
  • GirlTalker
  • Simple Pinay!
    • Claychelicious
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 12:06:42 AM »
Hi. May I know the name of the book? Thanks!
I Love You Bosing. Thank you so much.

greys03

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 06:49:02 AM »
sis anong book ito? TIA

hanshellite

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 02:06:03 PM »
Thank God binili ko yung fireproof na book sa booksale -P145 lang and in very good condition pa. I watched the movie and naiyak ako. Di ko pa nabasa yung book and happy ako kasi according to sis jap, worth buying nga daw yung book =) yey...

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.