Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day WED 23 APR 14
Research has shown that drinking an ice slushie before exercise can extend runner's endurance--by around 10 minutes, on average.
  • Good House Keeping
    Find your bliss this summer! GH's guide to a calmer, luckier, and happier you. On stands now for only P120.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Real Living
    Real Living’s April 2014 issue is a thing of beauty, literally! The magazine’s Beautiful Homes issue features 43 pages which will inspire you to rethink your own space.
    Real Living
  • Women's Health
    Everything you need to score your hottest, sexiest summer EVER is in the Women’s Health March issue!
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Miriam vs. Assumption Makati vs. Poveda  (Read 9058 times)

ladyexquisite

• Probationary
Miriam vs. Assumption Makati vs. Poveda
« on: June 07, 2011, 04:28:26 AM »
Hello ladies,

I am from the US and we're moving to the Philippines May 2012. From what I've heard and from what I've gotten from my research, it is extremely essential for the parents to extensively look into what school they choose for their children. This is very unlikely here in the US. We pretty much don't have a choice on what school we want our child to go too unless we decide to put them in a private school. The only thing we weigh in in choosing a private school is the distance and the cost.

Anyways, I've narrowed down my list to 3 schools, which is Miriam, Assumption Makati, and Poveda.
Would anyone please give me a feedback about anything with each of these schools? I just want to get a general idea on these schools. I strongly believe, first impressions last. =]

Also, what factors do you consider when choosing a school?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:03:11 AM by ladyexquisite »

arte_girl

Re: Miriam vs. Assumption Makati vs. Poveda
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 03:40:36 PM »
I think you also have to consider the area where you live.  It has to be convenient for you and your daughter. 

I live in the East but i send my daughter to AC Makati because my husband and I both work in the Makati area.  It's convenient for us to bring our daughter to school and attend some of her school activities,  I like Assumption's curriculum and they are teaching the kids to be independent and responsible.  The co-parents in my batch are all very helpful too.

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 05:45:22 PM »
All these schools mentioned are very good.  It really depends on your priorities or constraints. 
I would caution you though against pinning your choice on "first impressions".   

Everybody as in everybody from my grandmother and grandaunts all the way down to my nieces and daughter... all went and/or go to Assumption.  Assumption Herran for the older generations; then Assumption SLV (San Lorenzo Village, Makati; never to Assumption Antipolo.)  The same picture holds true mostly for the family and relatives of my husband.
Regardless of where we reside, we all go to AC San Lo.  (We reside in Greenhills East, and the head office of oru business is in Tektite; so Poveda is just a matter of crossing EDSA;  & ICA, a few blocks down Madison/Wilson... so AC San Lo is a stretch.. but there, our daughter goes off everyday.)

Why are we such die-hards?  We believe in the values taught at Assumption; and the way the HS grads turn out.  Plus,  we have great faith that once High School is done with ... we will easily get into any college here or abroad, whatever we choose.  (That is another thing, nobody goes to Assumption - College Dept.  :D)     

rockstarmama

• GirlTalker
  • mom of three
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 12:55:05 PM »
I agree with sis arte_girl,

Location is important. Not only for convenience but for emergency situations as well. Miriam, Assumption and Poveda are all good schools naman and offer quality education. :D
Right where I wanna be!

blackberryqueen

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 03:18:28 PM »
All things being equal, I will put more weight on the location, i.e., the school nearest to our place of residence will be my top choice. If assuming all these 3 schools have the same level of academic excellence, I would choose the one whereby my child is within easy reach for me and my husband.

Now, quality of education wise, that's another matter. You have to read up other threads in this category which compares all these schools you've mentioned. Marami kasi factors to be considered, no one can just claim that one is superior than the others. So just research some more sis, at im sure madami ka matutunan.  ;) :D

When God closes a door, He opens a window.. and knocks down the wall :)

ichelie

• The Handy Mommy
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • I'm a Handy Mommy!
    • Handy Mommy, handy thoughts on on the journey as a wife, a mom, a counselor, and my own person.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 03:08:04 PM »
I am not an alumna but have worked in 2 schools you mentioned at a sister school of the other one.  I agree with moms here that these are all good schools.  Location is one consideration.  Next is that, get feedback on the schools thrust and how the school is living it/ teaching it to ther  students.  Knowing this, you may check if their objective is consistent to what you want for your child.  In the end, it is just not about the school.  The family and parents plays a big role on how th child is formed. :)

CHeck this post: http://handymommy.wordpress.com/2010/11/25/the-best-school-for-our-children/  then PM me if you have questions.
The best life valuing the essentials - family, relationships, faith, & being my own person!
Parenting, Relationships, Mommy Wellness, Expert tips at: http://handymommy.wordpress.com

ullala

• GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 01:36:36 PM »
I'm facing the following dilemma:

I went to Assumption San Lo and liked it there a lot (well minus the bullying that you'd encounter I would assume in any all-girl school, or any other school for that matter). Now that my little daughter's turning 3 next year, I've started thinking about where to send her to school. Assumption seems to be the obvious choice, but given that we live in San Juan it's very far from our house. It'd be another story if I had an extra car (and money to pay for a driver for that car) but as a single mom that is simply out of the question. For now Poveda seems so much more convenient. But after all the Poveda bashing that I've done thru my AC days and occasional snide remarks after I graduated from HS it's a bit odd for me to send my daughter there.

If anyone here could give a more unbiased perspective, I'd be really REALLY glad. Has anyone here sent their daughter/s to Poveda for the toddler's program?
Girls who behave don't make history

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 04:46:55 PM »
My vote is still with AC San Lo. 

The academics may not be perfect -- but, IMO, sufficiently good. Wala pa naman sa amin - the ga-barangay relatives - got rejected at colleges of our choice  - here and abroad.  No school is perfect -- given the fast pace of new knowledge, etc.. parents must expose kids to more outside the schools' curriculum. 

I like the values and the social graces and confidence of AC girls.... Nope, I was not a bully.  hehe

ullala

• GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
Hi aquacharly, thanks for your input.

Did your girls start their schooling in AC? Or did you send them to a neighborhood nursery/preschool first? I could probably drop her off in San Lo in the morning but my problem is how she'd get home, I'm not comfortable with letting her take a cab home with the yaya. If I were to send her to AC, I would seriously have to think about moving out on my own.

I remember when I was still studying in AC. I really envied my classmates who lived in San Lo, cause all they had to do was walk home, I on the other hand had to endure the Makati traffic.
Girls who behave don't make history

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 10:29:24 AM »
Sent my kid 1st to Phil.Montessori in White Plains. This is the 1st real Montessori school in the Phils. My siblings and I went there too, you can imagine how old and established that  preschool is.

I will discourage  cabbing it with a yaya -- too risky.   Plus,   SLV is strict still with security and all -- once the guards find out the yaya in the cab is going in for pick-up, they divert the cab to the Amorsolo gate.  Then there is the challenging pick-up, the vehicle just can't park or be idling by till the kid is ready to get in. So the car goes round and round some  authorized streets till the kid is there beside the guard -- yes, as you experienced before  -- the guards still check very well who is picking up the kid. 

If you are San Juan based -- Poveda appears to be more workable.  You will have a lot of bus service options too.

eleynba

• Soon To Be SAHM...
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 10:00:33 AM »
Hello ladies,

I am from the US and we're moving to the Philippines May 2012. From what I've heard and from what I've gotten from my research, it is extremely essential for the parents to extensively look into what school they choose for their children. This is very unlikely here in the US. We pretty much don't have a choice on what school we want our child to go too unless we decide to put them in a private school. The only thing we weigh in in choosing a private school is the distance and the cost.

Anyways, I've narrowed down my list to 3 schools, which is Miriam, Assumption Makati, and Poveda.
Would anyone please give me a feedback about anything with each of these schools? I just want to get a general idea on these schools. I strongly believe, first impressions last. =]

Also, what factors do you consider when choosing a school?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi ladyexquisite, may I know which school you chose eventually?
We are in a quite similar situation though our probable location will be Alabang or Sta Rosa area.
We are looking at moving our 2 girls back to Philippines. They are currently studying in an exclusive school for girls.
I am what I am and I live my life the way I see fit...

SnowySofia

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 04:27:19 PM »
Though I personally like MC for my daughter bec of a bigger campus amd she also passed her entrance exam..
Hubby and I decided to enroll our daughter to Poveda.I just paid her slot I just felt my daughter is very lucky since there are only limited slots for kinder 2 in Poveda felt like she's really meant to be on that school besides that's the nearest from our house.

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
10 Ways to Wear Shorts in Your 30s
Why should twentysomethings have all the fun?
10 Signs You Need a Diet Makeover
When your body talks, you need to listen.
Be The Fairest of Them All: 5 Ways You Can Get Whiter Underarms
Discover the power of these whitening solutions for yourself!
5 Surprising Facts about Masturbation
There's more to it than the sex toys. No, really.