Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day WED 22 OCT 14
Invest in closet classics like one little black dress, a white polo shirt, and a pair of slacks. After you have them all, you can splurge
  • Good House Keeping
    Judy Ann Santos-Agoncillo returns to our cover this September issue and gets candid about money, marriage, and motherhood.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Drop two sizes fast—with simple exercises you can do at home! This month's ultimate weight-loss special shows you how. Plus, real women share how you, too, can shed and keep off excess weight for good.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Books by Filipino Authors  (Read 13186 times)

HeyThereDelilah

• Eat Your Heart Out
Books by Filipino Authors
« on: April 05, 2011, 03:06:25 PM »
Hello ladies.

I think it's about time we give light to the unsung artists of our time, our Filipino authors. Anyone here reading or has read books by Filipino authors? Say something about it here. It would be nice to get book recommendations, too. :)

Kapag nagutom, kumain.

Heatherette

• Super GirlTalker
Re: Books by Filipino Authors
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 03:09:33 PM »
Ang mga nababasa ko lang yung sa Summit Media haha Pero I have Bob Ong's books, di ko palang nababasa kahit ganun kanipis lang yun.

realmofadreamer

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 03:32:58 PM »
meron akong books ni Bob Ong and Bo Sanchez.

Bob Ong - sobrang nakakatawa (pampatanggal ng stress) pero totoo din ang mga sinasabi nya.

Bo Sanchez - marami akong natutunan from his books na inaapply ko sa buhay ko.
死马当活马医
千里之行,始于足下

tamarind26

• Super GirlTalker
    • Virtual Thoughts
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 03:37:01 PM »
Hubby has a collection of Jessica Zafra's books.
M * A * Y * A * N * G * K * Y

pandaching92000

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:28:51 PM »
I only have read Bob Ong's books.

aien

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 01:19:24 PM »
Konti lang nabasa ko na libro ng Filipino authors

Lualhati Bautista - Bata, Bata and Gapo
Andres Cristobal Cruz - Ang Tundo Man May Langit Din

babasahin pa lang
Bob Ong - Ang Paboritong Libro ni Hudas at Bakit Baliktad Magbasa ng Libro ang Pinoy
And so it seems that we have met before,
And laughed before and loved before
But who knows where or when

ksv

• GirlTalker
    • Shop US sites
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:00:22 AM »
I've only read works of 2 Filipino authors and they were both amazing writers. Very easy to read and enjoyable too.

Grace Chong - Gifts of Grace

- These are short stories in her life that were very inspiring. She has books 2 & 3 as well but I haven't read them. She also writes children's books. I've given this as gifts to friends as well.

Rodolfo Ibanez - Bayanihan

- A story about how Unilab came to be. Also an inspirational story. Dr. Ibanez was my mentor and boss and his books were great reads.

Both can be found in National Bookstore i believe :)

mooncake and leaves

• Super GirlTalker
    • Clickity
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 08:05:43 AM »
I liked Ricky Lee's Para Kay B. :) I also read Bob Ong. Pantanggal stress eh ;D

HeyThereDelilah

• Eat Your Heart Out
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 09:52:55 PM »
Ladies, you may like this one. It's called Angelica's Daughters and it's by Cecilia Brainard, Erma Cuizon, Susan Evangelista, Veronica Montes, and Nadine Sarreal.

Angelica's Daughters is a collaborative novel by five established Filipina writers, called a "dugtungan." A dugtungan is a genre of Tagalog novel popular early in the 20th century, in which each writer creates a chapter and hands it off to the next, who writes another chapter without direction. The result, in this case, is an ensemble performance that contains something of the exhilaration of theatrical improv. -From Goodreads.com

Kapag nagutom, kumain.

byutijunkie

• Senior GirlTalker
  • lover of all things fab!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 11:08:31 PM »

i love arlene chai's "eating fire, drinking water" and "the last time i saw mother." 
“The best color in the whole world, is the one that looks good, on you!”
                   --Coco Chanel

a_y_e_n

• I'm on PMS (Purchasing More Shoes) mode. i love being a newbie mommy and a
  • Super GirlTalker
  • a girl can never have too many shoes!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »
konti lang mga books ko from filipino authors. halos lahat kay bob ong tapos the rest yung mga chic lit from summit media.
there once was a little girl who never knew love until a boy broke her HEART
http://kerenkeng.blogspot.com/
http://mylomolove.blogspot.com/

antuten

• GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 12:20:42 PM »
Konti pa lang nababasa ko na works ng Filipino authors, nakakahiya mang aminin. Ang hirap naman kasi magbasa ng Tagalog! :P

Tondo Man May Langit Din - hiram ko lang to back in HS

Bob Ong books (pero di ko natatapos)
The Last Time I Saw Mother
Para Kay B

blackshirt13

• Late bloomer
  • Senior GirlTalker
    • Who is blackshirt13?
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 01:43:22 AM »
i love arlene chai's "eating fire, drinking water" and "the last time i saw mother."

same here, i like eating fire and drinking water too. :D

sa graphic novels naman, the best ang trese comics series nina budjette tan at kajo baldisimo. as in two thumbs up! 8)
I'm on Blogger and WordPress

yaelski18

• Super Praning
  • GirlTalker
    • Yaelski at Twitter
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 02:35:39 PM »
For some serious literary list, I will recommend my favorites:

Feast and Famine: Stories of Negros by Rosario Cruz Lucero. This is a collection of five short stories, all of them taking place in Negros island. Her language is contemporary and flowing so even though her stories are a mix of realism and magic realism, it is easy to read and it appears seamless.

the Likhaan literary journals by UP's Institue of Creative Writing. You'll read some of the best short stories, poems, critiques, and essays done by Filipino writers in English and Filipino.

The Best Philippine Short Stories of the 20th Century, Edited by Isagani Cruz. Another outstanding collection of Filipino short stories in English. Stories run the whole gamut, from those written in the 1920s up to early 2000 including works by nearly all the best writers in the country from Paz Marquez Benitez to Jessica Zafra to Charlson Ong.

To The Young Writer and Other Essays by F. Sionil Jose. Perfect for those who are seeking inspiration about writing, language, nationalism, and Philippine literature.

Utos ng Hari at Iba Pang Kuwento by Jun Cruz Reyes. The title story "Utos ng Hari" is a personal favorite of mine. His stories are a mirror of our lives then and now told in the language of the "ordinary" Pinoy.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:43:41 PM by yaelski18 »
It is not a bad idea to get in the habit of writing down one's thoughts. It saves one having to bother anyone else with them. ~ Isabel Colegate

iwannabeasupermodel

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 07:44:42 PM »
cave and shadows by nick joaquin
#cantbuyclass

beachgirl

• Junior GirlTalker
    • Almost Fit
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 08:09:48 PM »
nabasa ko na yung Para Kay B ni Ricky Lee. ang galing, parang nai-imagine ko yung scene habang nagbabasa ako. isa pang nagustuhan ko yung Desaparesidos ni Lualhati Bautista. mabigat pero nakakamulat ng mata.
"Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first." - Ernestine Ulmer

clumsish

• Junior GirlTalker
  • Never stop showing how much you care
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 09:41:04 AM »
Glad to know marami pa ring nagbabasa ng mga books written by our local authors..

Most of the books na binabasa ko based from real life stories like:

Youngblood. I remember the first time that I was hooked up with this book, I was in 2nd year college. I saw my housemate reading this sa madaling araw.. Naintrigued ako na hindi pwedeng hindi sya makapagbasa ng story from this book kahit pagod na sya.. Since i know hindi sya nagpapahiram ng books nya. Kinaibigan ko yung sister nya.. Haha.. And everyday din tumatambay ako sa room nila pag wala sya para makapagbasa. Nauna pa ako matapos sa kanya kasi natuwa ako sa mga stories ng mga youths and how good they are sa pagsulat.
Magmula noon pag tinatanong ako kung anong gusto kong gift, I always asked
for youngblood books.. :)

I have read Jessica Zafras witty books as well.

@pear Hi Sis, May nabasa na rin akong Ambeth's book way back in college. Yung Looking Back and Rizal Without the Overcoat. He was my Prof in History's fave author. And I was my prof's fave kaya he'd encouraged me to read His books..

Salamat sa mga nishare nyo, I'll find ways to check yang mga books na nabasa nyo na. ;)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:44:31 AM by clumsish »
I ♥ you eich..I ♥ you eich..I ♥ you eich..I ♥ you eich..I ♥ you eich..I ♥ you eich..I ♥ you eich..

angel_eyes_2nite

• Living the Happily Ever After
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Carpe de Diem!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 10:56:47 PM »
I have read quite a few books by Filipino authors some of which were books by:
Bo Sanchez - inspirational but light read siya. I like the way he teaches lessons in life na di masyadong preachy ang dating but parang kwentuhang barkada lang
Bob Ong - nakakatawa pero may nilalaman (re:filipino culture)
Books by the following authors na binasa ko which was triggered nang pagiging "iskolar ng bayan" -
Lualhati Bautista
Nick Joaquin
F. Sionil Jose
at ang fave komiks sa tambayan - Pugad Baboy series
Life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away!

italiandoll

• If I Fall, I Will Rise Again.
  • GirlTalker
  • Vivi Bene, Ridi Spesso, Ama Molto!;)
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 08:41:49 AM »
I recommend F. Sionil Jose's 5 volume Rosales Saga, truly remarkable:

Po-on
Tree
My Brother, My Executioner
The Pretenders
Mass

and Jessica Zafra's Twisted books.  I like Twisted Travels.  ;)

Quit Your Job.  Buy A Ticket.  Get A Tan.  Fall In Love.  Never Return. ;)

fashion_addict

• Is putting her make-up on while busy being a
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • I'm noxious...
    • The Beauty Junkee
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 01:54:21 AM »
Jessica Zafra's books are awesome. I also like Para Kay B by Ricky Lee. And my favorite of all time, CUBAO MIDNIGHT EXPRESS by Tony Perez. He captured the Filipino essence in this book. All at the dangerous, mystical, yet beautiful Cubao.

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.