Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day SUN 27 JUL 14
Give your car (and wallet) a rest and commute to work this week--it helps you get exercise too!
  • Good House Keeping
    The July issue is our Makeover Special! Be inspired by the weight-loss successes of The Biggest Loser’s Kayen Lazaro and Osie Nebreja, who entered the reality TV show simply wanting to lose weight but ended up gaining whole new (healthier!) lives.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Jumpstart your best body today with this month’s best foods special. Women’s Health shares over 100 of the best packaged foods for women, sourced from leading supermarkets, specialty stores, and delivery services.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Promotions  (Read 5305 times)

babykat

• Senior GirlTalker
Promotions
« on: March 19, 2011, 06:51:38 PM »
I've always thought that promotions and pay increases should be based on merit, on those who work really hard and do their job well.  Sadly, I just got a rude awakening recently. The way things are going, promotions are given to people na close at friends with our boss.  It doesn't matter if those people are always late, often absent, on two-hour lunchbreaks, or cause the company to lose resources.  The line-up for promotion this year was cut so that only those people are promoted, and what's worse, mukhang lalagpasan pa nila yung mga mas deserving.  Wow talaga.  Ibang klase.

As consolation, I was told it really doesn't matter naman whether you're promoted or not.  What's important is how much they increase your pay and how much bonus they'll give you.  I disagree, it's equally important that you feel all that hard work you put in your job is acknowledged naman.

Just my two cents.

Tea97

• GirlTalker
Re: Promotions
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 06:42:34 PM »
babykat, meron talagang ganon nangyayari. pero eventually yun nag promote and yun napromote would suffer, lalo na kung hindi makapag deliver. a friend consulted with me on this, and although i said promote the person who's more capable, talented and mas matyaga, she stuck with the other friendly, goodlooking (two-faced!) lass, who in the end, back-stabbed her. buti na lang at hindi natauhan yun na-promote at nag resign on her own, otherwise she would have ended up with a lawsuit.

jp_jameop

• major major adik na
  • Super GirlTalker
  • happily married!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:39:13 AM »
may word palang PROMOTION! di kasi uso sa boss ko yan! kalowka! kahit million effort, no credit at all! :( >:( :'(
God is great! :)

pretty_lexie

• wOrking m0m!!!!
  • GirlTalker
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 09:52:30 AM »
I've always thought that promotions and pay increases should be based on merit, on those who work really hard and do their job well.  Sadly, I just got a rude awakening recently. The way things are going, promotions are given to people na close at friends with our boss.  It doesn't matter if those people are always late, often absent, on two-hour lunchbreaks, or cause the company to lose resources.  The line-up for promotion this year was cut so that only those people are promoted, and what's worse, mukhang lalagpasan pa nila yung mga mas deserving.  Wow talaga.  Ibang klase.

As consolation, I was told it really doesn't matter naman whether you're promoted or not.  What's important is how much they increase your pay and how much bonus they'll give you.  I disagree, it's equally important that you feel all that hard work you put in your job is acknowledged naman.

Naku sis san ka ba nagwo-work di kaya isang company lang tayo hehe. in here naman same lang din those who worked hard were not given that acknowledgement promotion dito is based sa kung pano mo ilalaban na dapat kang ma promote may isang manager nga dito na promote lang kasi iniyakan niya yung gen. manager kesyo sa batch daw nila siya nalang ang di na popromote nakakababa daw ng self esteem, pero di siya nababaan sa sarili niya sa ginawa niya.

regarding the increase same situation  pag type ka nila bigyan mataas na increae they will but not because you deserve it or what.& worst parang utang na loob mo pa hays...

Myealexis21

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 06:09:35 PM »
Experienced that a long time ago..nakakasama talaga ng loob.

What I did? Applied for a different position. If I'm not happy with my situation, I move on... no sense of me staying and waiting for that promotion if I know it's not possible.
Trapped in between yesterday and forever

maye2k

• GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 09:22:18 AM »
Sis, promotion plays a major role in our working career. An increase of pay wouldn't give enough merit to your credentials but instead it puts you more stagnant in your present position.

It would also depends on your objective, if your purpose for working so hard is to only receive an increase, that's probably not a problem. But seems you're not really into it and prefer to get promoted then basically the whole thing is not for you. Anyway IMO, give yourself another chance to prove your worth, if its first time to happen then take it as a challenge and a good motivation to work harder on your job. Makiramdam ka, if time given is enough and seems that everything is still the same, IMO you should start looking for another job. You'll never grow up in this company if you'll stay longer. As we aged, we need to be more competent  at mangyayari lang yan kung nasa magandang posisyon kana with of course the true gained skills.

mbeeyap

• Junior GirlTalker
  • ♥ Life is simple, it's just not easy ♥
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 03:33:20 PM »
kitang-kita ko yan dito sa workplace ko. yung mga talagang deserving ay hindi napopromote, at yung mga close friends lang ng boss ang nakakapag level-up kahit madami pang mas magagaling sa kanila. haist. tapos kapag napromote na yung mga nag aastang magaling, aba, power tripping agad, kala mo kung sino. eh hindi naman nila makukuha yung posisyon nila if wala silang koneksyon.  tsk3. kaloka.
The purpose of life is a life of purpose.

kiz_me1109

• Super GirlTalker
  • happy_mom_of_aidan
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 06:19:50 AM »
Super true. Ganyan din sa office namin. Nakakaloka. What's worse it kapag na promote ka e it doesnt mean na tataas na agad ang sweldo mo. Kasi dadaan ka muna as OIC.(no increase but additional work loads, OT TY, since you are not the one who is controlling your stats mahirap magka incentive, etc) Then, you have to make friends with all the bosses. Kailangan mo makipag plastic. Then, kapag nagustuhan ka gagawin kang trainee. Additional allowance lang.

Kalokohan talaga.

mbeeyap

• Junior GirlTalker
  • ♥ Life is simple, it's just not easy ♥
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 04:22:58 PM »
^ magka officemate ba tayo sis?!?! hahahaha!  ;D
The purpose of life is a life of purpose.

byutijunkie

• Senior GirlTalker
  • lover of all things fab!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 12:48:02 AM »
kailan ba makakarma ang mga boss na madamot??? hmp.
“The best color in the whole world, is the one that looks good, on you!”
                   --Coco Chanel

inluvewithmikewesten

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 07:48:42 AM »
I've always thought that promotions and pay increases should be based on merit, on those who work really hard and do their job well.  Sadly, I just got a rude awakening recently. The way things are going, promotions are given to people na close at friends with our boss.  It doesn't matter if those people are always late, often absent, on two-hour lunchbreaks, or cause the company to lose resources. 

This is so so true. Where I work, you don't get promoted if you don't kiss ass. But for me, hindi bale na lang.

billy

• billy's got a gun but she's a good girl and a
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 08:26:03 AM »
There are people talaga who may not be right for the promotion, but they are in the right place and the right time, they get the breaks. It's a sad reality. Kahit saan naman yata. Minsan kahit may "criteria for judging," you ask yourself, eh bakit yung iba parang hindi naman qualified, sinusuwerte lang talaga hehe Minsan naman may nakikita ang boss na hindi natin nakikita. But there are people who really deserve/d the promotion. Dati nun, my former officemates and I have this matrix:

1. Right person, right place, right time
2. Wrong person, right place, right time
3. Right person, wrong place, wrong time
4. Wrong person, wrong place, wrong time
don't feed the troll!

carmichael18

• nagmamatamis na...
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • Mrs. Vidallon na!!!
    • RJ and Karmie
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 08:32:41 AM »
my h2b is having an issue with promotions these days.. ganto rin ngyari.. hindi namin ma-gets kung bakit yung isa ang na promote imbes na siya or yung isa pa niyang kasama.. sa company where my h2b works may level na tinatawag, at depende yun sa skill mo, na determined during recruitment pa lang...

two months ago, h2b was interviewed with 3 others na para sa promotion.. all 3 of them are in let's say level 2...  unfortunately h2b was not chosen, so he gave it another try kasi may promotion daw ulit sa sunod na bwan, so naghintay siya.. hindi pa rin siya napili... tapos recently may napromote na naman.. suprised sila kasi yung guy was not "pre-qualified" or hindi kasama dun sa mga naunang ma-interview... at sa policy ng company regarding tenure and level, mas mababa si guy kumpara kay h2b at dun sa isa pang na-interview...

ang nakakainis pa, super close ni h2b yung guy, kaya alam ko based sa kwento ni h2b kung ano ang work ethics nitong na-promote.. laging absent - kaya super reklamo si h2b sa OT kasi sinasalo niya work nitong other guy.. at hindi pa valid reasons niya.. kaya siya hindi nakakapasok dahil ng-o-over night siya sa motmot kasama ang kung sino man.. h2b knows kasi nga close sila at sa kanya sinasabi ng guy yun..tapos, palage siyang ask kay h2b regarding processes.. I know kasi office mates kami dati at pag pinupuntahan ko sa station si h2b, lage siyang andun nagtatanong.. kaya sobrang sama ng loob niya at nung isa pa nilang friend, na yun ang napromote... kinusap niya yung sup niya and he asked what's wrong with him, sabi ng sup niya, hindi pa raw siya ready, well, sa kalidad ba ng napili nila, yun ba ang definition nila ng ready? kahit ako napipikon na sa kanila...

nung bago pa lang ang account, at wala pang [textspeak!], pinag extra work nila si h2b as [textspeak!] na walang extra pay, pero nag OOT para gawin yun.. tapos nung may kailangang i-train na mga bago, pinagawa din nila kay h2b ng walang extrang bayad.. tapos ngayon, parang na-insulto siya na nilampasan pa yung level nila at kumuha ng mas mababa pa sa kanila para sa supervisory position... tapos sa sama ng loob ni h2b nag try siya mag-apply sa ibang projects sa company, na hindi rin nila pinayagan.. hindi ko alam kung anong galit nila sa kanya.. pag may pabor sila sa work ginagawa naman ni h2b kahit mag OT pa ng weekends, tapos ganon nila pahirapan ngayon...

ngayon h2b is thinking of resigning.. kasi nga sobrang bad trip niya.. malamang pulitika, nilipat pa siya sa ibang account, na alam naman nilang hindi gusto ni h2b..
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 08:37:26 AM by carmichael18 »

schizo_me

• GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »
may word palang PROMOTION! di kasi uso sa boss ko yan! kalowka! kahit million effort, no credit at all! :( >:( :'(

natawa ako dito

>> same here

pink_blush01

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 04:29:52 PM »
hi mga sis share ko lang..

I'm in an IT company, for 4 yrs already, before nasa small company lang ako, then even how hard you've tried, even how much effort you've exerted wala lang sa kanila, hindi ka nila papansinin at wala kang voice dahil hindi kayo "friends" oh well, i get tired of that, resigned and worked in a big company and yes, well known company. After 6 months, na promote ako, after 1 year i got my increase. Hindi ko "close friend" and boss ko ah, pero im much more pro active this time. kahit konting bagay na nagawa ko im telling my boss, reporting for duty ika nga. lolz. at lahat ng gusto ko ino open up ko. siguro dedication? or swerte lang ako sa boss ko ngayon?
♥  God listens ♥

phadportal

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 11:19:57 PM »
i worked for a start up company so i was probably at the right place at the right time.  i was given a lot of opportunities but then after years of dedication and loyalty, when the company grew things changed.  importance seem to be given more to those who just joined the management team and i was put on the side na lang.  although my boss says im doing a great job, the salary difference between a homegrown manager and a new comer is still quite high - 40-50% lang naman.  its quite sad for me since they arent really doing a better job, they just happened to have a higher price tag when they joined the company.  and as an idealist, given the good relationship i have with our boss, i was expecting that he will level it somehow but that never happened. he gave me a higher increase but not enough pa din to bridge the gap.  it's not really about the money but the somehow it represents how the company values your loyalty.

tsokolat

• no regrets
  • Super GirlTalker
  • when in doubt, dont!
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 08:19:41 PM »
swertehan lang din siguro sa boss, yung boss ko ngayon grabe hindi nagpopromote ng staff nya! lahat ng mga naging staff nya either nagpalipat ng department or nagresign. yung ibang swinerte yung area head pa ang nagpromote
do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go-Joshua 1:9

sweetsorrow

• a wife, an engineer and certified
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 08:44:25 PM »
in our company, yearly may increase, at ang promotions, hindi mahirap makuha basta performing ka at matunog pangalan mo kasi may nagagawa kang maganda sa company. And every 2years aangat talaga position sa amin :)
Blah blah blah!

tsokolat

• no regrets
  • Super GirlTalker
  • when in doubt, dont!
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 12:49:26 PM »
^ganda naman ng company nyo :)
do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go-Joshua 1:9

schizo_me

• GirlTalker
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 09:23:40 AM »
in our company, yearly may increase, at ang promotions, hindi mahirap makuha basta performing ka at matunog pangalan mo kasi may nagagawa kang maganda sa company. And every 2years aangat talaga position sa amin :)

Ano company mo sis?

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.