Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day WED 30 JUL 14
Keep your brain and body active--read while on the treadmill or stationary bike. If you find it difficult, listen to an audiobook.
  • Good House Keeping
    The July issue is our Makeover Special! Be inspired by the weight-loss successes of The Biggest Loser’s Kayen Lazaro and Osie Nebreja, who entered the reality TV show simply wanting to lose weight but ended up gaining whole new (healthier!) lives.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Jumpstart your best body today with this month’s best foods special. Women’s Health shares over 100 of the best packaged foods for women, sourced from leading supermarkets, specialty stores, and delivery services.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: is pneumonia contagious?  (Read 5744 times)

darna88

• Senior GirlTalker
is pneumonia contagious?
« on: March 01, 2011, 01:56:01 AM »
is pneumonia contagious??  one of our helper has it.. pero not naman living in out house hndi sya stay in medyo may edad na.. na diagnose na may penumonina recently pero wala nman daw sya cough but the xray revealed na may pneumonia nga sya.. my worry is that i have 5 month old son and a toddler nakakahawa ba yun sa mga anak ko? although hndi namna sila close contact but still there was some instances in the afternoon na kinakausap nya toddler ko you know yun  tipong"taba taba naman ni botchog" [textspeak!] mga 10 min. na nakakatabi nya anak ko kasi sympre nga samin sya work pero dun sa labas ng house namin na open air naman..  kasi afternoon kasi lumalabas mga anak ko di namna pwedeng nasa loob lang sila ng hauz the whole day ..thanks mga sises sa inputs,,
take note mga sis hndi ako nagpapasweldo dun in-laws ko and matagal na sa knila yun nagwowork..kaya if ever parang nakakahiya sabihin na pwede pa pahingain muna yun habang may penumonia pa baka sabihin kasi OA ako ,,

muahmuahmuah

• There is no price for Awesomeness! Amp'd Up
  • Super GirlTalker
  • dam it your clothes! punk the devil
Re: is pneumonia contagious?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 04:02:50 AM »
you can't catch pneumonia that easily but you contract the virus or bacteria and it may  show up as the flu or be feverish and have a cold. mas prone if your baby is asthmatic or sakitin and kung mahina resistensya.  saying it lang from experience, since i was a born my usual sakit is bronchitis (which easily leads to pneumonia) pag may isang may sakit or yung umuubo na alam ko it's pneumonia i don't go near the person talaga or go stay in the same room na kulob kasi madali ako mahawa. if its open air ok lang basta di sya kinikiss or feed on the same spoon that kind of thing (you know how sneaky some are)  extra precaution with vitamins etc. and basta di nya ubuhan the baby. i think may shots rin for that.

you should be more concerned if the helper isn't taking anything antibiotic to get rid of it or baka mamaya she has TB yun definitely nakakawaha.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 04:06:02 AM by muahmuahmuah »
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection. The Lovers, the Dreamers, and Me.

I am a catch, and I am not going to be the one to get away.

You should never settle for who you are.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

DV

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 03:53:50 PM »
Yes, it is contagious.  Pina-PCV mo ba ang mga anak mo?  Please ask your in laws na sabihan yung maid na wag munang lumapit sa mga bata.  Hay, OA na kung OA.  Kawawa ang bata pag nagkasakit.
"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."    --Dr Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!

gquind_rn

• GirlTalker
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 04:32:09 PM »
curable naman ang pneumonia so maganda mag-gamot na din si helper. yes contagious sya pag na-inhale ni baby droplets nya. also depende din yan sa immune system ng tao.  when i contracted one before, nahawa mom ko sa akin coz she was taking care of me that time. nagmemedication na ako noon (bata pa ko non). but my nephew didn't get it even though i was carrying him and kissing him (makulit ako noon eh). he was 3 months old but he didn't get  sick. so para sure, wag  na muna palapitin kids mo kay sick helper.

delisyus

• Lactivist Mom
  • Senior GirlTalker
    • Crazy, Happy Arevalos
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 04:34:52 PM »
pneumonia is not contagious
cold virus is, and it's what causes colds and flu, which can result in pneumonia if not dealt with properly

the first thing your helper should be doing is to get lots of rest
then take her meds
then make sure to wash her hands when handling things in your house
and cover her mouth if she's coughing or sneezy

gquind_rn

• GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »
upon researching i read this article, 

Is pneumonia contagious?

For healthy persons, the answer is NO.

In theory, pneumonia may be contagious. In practice, it hardly ever happens that a healthy person "catches" pneumonia from someone else.  But for those already weak from illness, especially those staying in hospitals and other medical care facilities, then the answer is one big YES.

http://www.flu-treatments.com/is-pneumonia-contagious.html

gorgeous_mommie

• Senior GirlTalker
  • If you're not sure if someone wants to be in your
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 01:24:14 AM »
my answer is YES.. tru saliva.. or maubuhan ka.. or any close contact sa person infected..
"Dont get mad when a girl cares too much. Worry when she starts not to care at all"

iwannabeasupermodel

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 02:15:10 AM »
but of course dear! your kids are more at risk than you because their immune systems aren't fully developed yet...and you have a 5 month old baby. but pneumonia is usually curable naman. pneumonia can be bacterial or viral but the most common causative agents are bacteria. i guess you should send your househelper to a doctor so he can give the proper treatment, firing her seemed to harsh for me. i dont know ah, kasi kami dati may katulong na marang buni/an-an and mayroon pa ngang epilepsy, what we did was cure her. my parents naman kasi are both doctors so aiun. haha. anyway padala mo siya sa doctor ah, that way not only your family will be safe but also others na makahalubilo niya sa future.

pneumonia is not as contagious as tuberculosis. nontheless, contagious.
#cantbuyclass

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.