Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day MON 28 JUL 14
Skip drinking at the bar and go on a day trip with your barkada--it's the healthier and more adventurous option!
  • Good House Keeping
    The July issue is our Makeover Special! Be inspired by the weight-loss successes of The Biggest Loser’s Kayen Lazaro and Osie Nebreja, who entered the reality TV show simply wanting to lose weight but ended up gaining whole new (healthier!) lives.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Jumpstart your best body today with this month’s best foods special. Women’s Health shares over 100 of the best packaged foods for women, sourced from leading supermarkets, specialty stores, and delivery services.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Italy Travel Guide  (Read 51153 times)

bankrun

• GirlTalker
Italy Travel Guide
« on: February 27, 2011, 07:54:12 AM »
Need some travel tips.... Ty

portugalbear

• GirlTalker
Re: Anyone been to venice?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 05:23:05 PM »
sis - what exactly do you need?  hotel, plane, water taxi ?

wengerts

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 05:48:04 PM »
i love venice :D

^ same question :)

lemonade

• Super GirlTalker
  • ich liebe meine tochter!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 09:08:39 AM »
when you do get to venice, i suggest you watch the glass-blowing activities in one of the stores. really amazing!

gumdrops26

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 09:25:19 AM »
been there and also watched the glass blowing demonstration

I liked one of the chandeliers sa store, ang gandaaaa but of course ang mahal rin lol
Although your secret stalking is on the psychotic side, I can't help but feel flattered. My life is awesome! :P :D :P

While you're talking behind my back, feel free to bend down and KISS my ass!

mama squeak!

• Board Moderator
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 10:51:41 AM »
when you do get to venice, i suggest you watch the glass-blowing activities in one of the stores. really amazing!

Would this be in Murano? Do you have to pay to watch?

:)

portugalbear

• GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:15:17 AM »
Yes it's in Murano.  you don't have to pay to watch.  I also love venice.  one of my favorite cities.

mama squeak!

• Board Moderator
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 11:53:44 AM »
^Great, thanks! Any time of the day naman ito 'no? I'm planning na kasi our itinerary for next year pa naman. Another DIY trip!   :)

wengerts

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 01:31:55 PM »
got nice murano earrings there too! :) wish i could go back...

krishakulit

• GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 03:11:38 PM »
loved venice..have not expected to love this city..but i do.. akala ko gondola ride lang meron dito..have not expected it to be a nice city..
bought murano earings, ring at choker..nice na pasalubong din kc unique at di bulky dalhin..

bankrun

• GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 09:55:20 AM »
is murano accessible? how do we get there from st marks?

also, since we will be there just for a day, what are the top 3 things to do there?

lastly, whats best way to go to the airport from st marks? thanks!

portugalbear

• GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 04:07:54 PM »
murano is another island.  you will need to take a water taxi going there.  you can ask your hotel how to get to the airport.  from st marks, you might need to hire a water taxi.

bankrun

• GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 09:23:04 AM »
thanks! but the water taxis are too expensive!!!

lemonade

• Super GirlTalker
  • ich liebe meine tochter!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 09:30:50 AM »

i didn't have to go to murano. it's just in one of the stores around st. mark's basilica. there are several of them. :) i bought a murano watch from one of the souvenir shops. :)

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 01:09:58 PM »
is murano accessible? how do we get there from st marks?

also, since we will be there just for a day, what are the top 3 things to do there?

lastly, whats best way to go to the airport from st marks? thanks!

There are free water rides - small motorboats - to bring you back and forth.  You can also have stuff packed and shipped off  to the Phils.  You get it here in 2 months.

The Duomo/San Marco,  dinner at  the piazza in front of San Marco,  museum, walk around - it is an enchanting place, watch the sun set -

From the airport  - by train.   Then you move around via the big water taxis.   Be prepped to do a lotta walking

What  else?  Mosquito repellant! 
Do not go during the rainy season there - the dirty water reaches almost to your knees around the piazza area. 

Dance on the piazza - there are at least 4 piano & strings groups playing around the San Marco piazza at night. 

No pay but thy will lean on you to buy something.  hehe

i didn't have to go to murano. it's just in one of the stores around st. mark's basilica. there are several of them. :) i bought a murano watch from one of the souvenir shops. :)

If you are not interested in big items like chandeliers - you can skip the island and glass blowing.  Lots of small shops ringing the piazza, and in the small streets.

We never did an airport to VENICE thing.
From Milan to Venice, Florence and Pisa, then onto Rome. 
All by train.  :)

To clarify - the free small water taxis belong to the bigger companies on Murano.  You are fetched at the small pier of your hotel, then land on the company's private pier.  Arrange with  your hotel.  should you deide o roam round more on Murano island, you can take the bigger water taxis tht operate like buses - several stops along a route.

There is no way you will get around Venice - a group of small islands - without going on these public  water taxis  - yes, you pay.  gondolas will cost you more. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:31:38 PM by FNMod_Nelly »

little_princess

• Shopaholic Princess
  • Super GirlTalker
    • Princess in a teacup
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 01:40:50 PM »
since it's an island, its either really warm or really chilly. when we were there, the mainland felt a few degrees cooler and i was ok with just a shirt in venice :)

re murano, there are a lot of shops near st. mark's that do demonstrations and then you can go to their showrooms to buy. they also offer option to ship to your home country so you don't have to bring them around. some of our tourmates did it but my mom opted to hand carry what we got :)

also, don't forget to feed the doves! haha tourist moment.. and walk around the shops, it can get confusing but their stuff are really pretty

gumdrops26

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 01:46:38 PM »
we were there in the middle of winter - froze our butts off ;D

nag gondola pa.. grabe kulang na lang I turn blue na lol
Although your secret stalking is on the psychotic side, I can't help but feel flattered. My life is awesome! :P :D :P

While you're talking behind my back, feel free to bend down and KISS my ass!

little_princess

• Shopaholic Princess
  • Super GirlTalker
    • Princess in a teacup
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 02:22:49 PM »
^ sis, we were warned about that too! we were there early spring and i was in layers and layers of clothes scared of how cold it will be.

oh, lots of umm actors in costumes, kaya lang you have to pay to take a picture

forsix10

• GirlTalker
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 10:14:10 AM »
this is one of the place na gusto ko marating.

ako rin sana mag ask ng itinerary how to get here from ROME-this is our point of entry.
kaya ba na balikan lang byahe from Rome to Venice or we need to stay there. we only have seven days to tour Rome/Venice & possible pa kaya ang Milan by land lang din. we have kids so most of the time na tour namin eh limited lang lagi. usually DIY lang kami lagi.

wala pa rin akong napipiling hotel na pwede kami mgstay. baka kasi sa Rome lang kami mgstay ng kids at si husband eh me training sa Modena w/c is malayo pa rin daw sa Rome.

If you could give me some tips sana at itinerary na rin pano pagsusunud sunurin ang pasyal namin like in detailed from Day 1-7.

St Peter Basilica gusto ko makita sa Rome then sa Venice naman, I want to experience the Gondola ride. so ano pa ba ang meron don na pwede ring mag enjoy kids ko don. pati sana transpo. thanks for any advices, tips.

mama squeak!

• Board Moderator
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 10:46:49 AM »
^sis, I'm also into DIY travel. Kasama sa mga places to see namin next year both Rome and Venice on top of other Italian cities. Venice can be easily reached by train from Rome. It's just a 3 and a half hour train ride. If you have 7 days to spend around the area might as well do Florence/Firenze na rin. Madadaanan ng train yan from Rome to Venice. You can have an itinerary like this:

Day 1-3   Two nights Rome
Day 3-5   Two nights Florence (From Rome travel by train 1H35M to Florence)
Day 5-6   Overnight in Venice (From Florence travel by train 2H to Venice)
Day 6-7   Back to Rome (From Venice travel by train 3H35M to Rome)

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.