Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day SAT 23 AUG 14
Skip the chips! Instead, dip carrots or celery sticks in low-fat dressing for your afternoon snack.
  • Good House Keeping
    Forever young Cheska Garcia-Kramer talks about her stay-gorgeous secrets, mommy bliss, and the surprising success of #TeamKramer in the August issue a.k.a. the Anti-Aging Special of Good Housekeeping!
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Build the confidence to strut in a pair of jeans with our 28-day pound-shedding, lean muscle-building workout, and learn the best cuts for your body type with our easy style guide.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Travelling (by air) during pregnancy  (Read 13691 times)

Mai

• Super GirlTalker
Travelling (by air) during pregnancy
« on: January 09, 2011, 02:33:45 AM »
Hello
It is gonna be my 1st time to travel by plane during a pregnancy. I will be 20 weeks by then.
What are some things to avoid that can be harmful to pregnancy? Like the scanners/the one where we step up the stool with parang door frame...is that safe?
Please share your experiences and tips. Thanks

bluegintonic

• I am loved and now a
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • I am the cat's MEOW.
    • Ana Banana
Re: Travelling (by air) during pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:31:35 PM »
Once you get the greenlight from your OB, ok naman lahat gawin with pregnancy.Don't worry about the metal detectors/scanners, very low (if any) radiation yun...depending on the airlines you're flying with, some require for you to sign a waiver that you're ok to travel.Most airlines until 36 weeks lang pwede mag travel.Depends on how many hours your flight will be, try walking around the cabin para hindi mag pool ang blood sa legs and hips mo (specially anything above 3 hours!) have a Happy & Safe Flight sis ;)
It is our choices that show what we truly are,far more than our abilities

twelvth_goddess

• A certified ZOE-holic and a true blue
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 09:49:29 PM »
Hi Mai! I went to the States when I was 26 weeks pregnant. PAL has a form called EMIS that I signed and my OB filled out in triplicate. It's basically a clearance form na you're fit to travel. They dont allow anyone who's 35 weeks and above to travel anymore though cus high risk na yon.

Some of the things that I can share:
- Scanners arre not really dangerous naman daw according to my OB.
- Travel wearing light clothing and comfy shoes.
- Request for an aisle seat or a an empty row if it's not a full flight. You'll be so grateful for the extra space and the ease whenever you need to go to the washroom.

My trip to San Francisco was 12 hours on each way. Thank goodness naman because non-stop flight yon. Mejo naimbyerna lang ako with one of the cabin crew on my way back kase nakita na ngang buntis ako at nahihirapan ilagay yung hand carry ko sa cabin, deadma lang si bruha kung hinde ko pa tinawag. My feet swelled like crazy on my way back cus I was really exhausted and fell asleep as soon as I sat down kaya hinde ko masyado naigalaw feet ko. When it was time to get off the plane, hinde na kasya yung feet ko sa shoes ko dahil sa manas hehe.
Whatever I want, I get. If I can't, I don't stop TRYING.

HeartHeart

• PEACE in your heart, SUCCESS in your path, and ANSWERS to your prayers
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • Live life with a joyful heart!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 01:26:16 AM »
i'm a frequent traveller.

1st and 2nd flights (two-way), i don't know na i'm pregnant na that time.

3rd and 4th flights (two-way), i know already na pregnant na ako pero hindi pa naman halata baby bump ko so hindi na ako binigyan ni ob ng medical certificate to give sa airline pero fit to travel naman daw ako.

5th and 6th flights (two-way), safe naman daw sa pregnant yung body scanner... nakasulat pa dun sa taas ng scanner.  i gave the medical certificate sa airline then may papa-fill-up na waiver form.

nagpa-cas ako to see if okay baby ko... and i thank God, normal naman lahat.   :-*
Me: PCOS                    HSG: Patent Tubes
DH: Normal                  IUI#1: BFN

Puregon: BFP               Now a MOM  :)

Mai

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 05:59:49 AM »
Thank you for sharing mga sis.
Also, are those face masks (disposable ones) can be of help to prevent catching virus and diseases when inside the aircraft? Or useless lang  yun?

prettymom

• the best is yet to come...
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • i am a wife and a mom, but i am also my own woman!
    • jingmt.multiply
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 08:32:43 AM »
it is true, consult your OB first. i also traveled for more or less 16  hours going to the states when i was on my 5th-6th month pregnant. the journey was very stressful since our 2 kids (ages 7 and 4) were also with us. and almost a day talaga kasama na mga waiting time sa airports including stopovers. so far all went well. ohhh.. btw, one drawback was the swelling on my feet/toes which lasted for a day or two..and i got dizzy pala..
2025 is when we expect to experience WATER SHORTAGE...how young will our children then be? ACT NOW! PLS. TAKE CARE OUR EARTH, WE ONLY HAVE 1!

reese**

• ProfessionalGoofer/
  • Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 10:47:51 AM »
i travelled twice during pregnancy

on my 4th and 6th mo. malapit lang naman Sg-Ph but I made sure i have my OB cert that its safe for me to travel. and im always on the aisle seat para madali maglakad pa punta sa restroom.

my final travel will be on my 34th week kasi i'll give birth sa 'pinas.

bluegintonic

• I am loved and now a
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • I am the cat's MEOW.
    • Ana Banana
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 09:29:41 AM »
^aisle seat are an expectant mom's best friend during flights talaga! I agree with you.Ako din may possibility na s Pinas manganak, pero with SG Airlines ok  ako to travel til 36th week,provided may letter from my OB Gyne.
It is our choices that show what we truly are,far more than our abilities

loveavenue

• GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 01:59:30 AM »
masama po ba magbuhat ng mabigat na bagahe ang buntis?

Mai

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 10:08:56 AM »
^I think so. Kase pag me laman na tummy natin me effect na sa back, it can be aggravated pag nagbuhat ka pa? Use na lang mga stroller shopping bags imbes na magbitbit ka sis when travelling/shopping. I got mine sa friend kong doctor na madaming MedRep na giveaways.

loveavenue

• GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 03:35:19 AM »
^I think so. Kase pag me laman na tummy natin me effect na sa back, it can be aggravated pag nagbuhat ka pa? Use na lang mga stroller shopping bags imbes na magbitbit ka sis when travelling/shopping. I got mine sa friend kong doctor na madaming MedRep na giveaways.

thanks for the advice.

advsiable din ba mag-travel by air na mag-isa? paano kung 6 months na? pwede pa kaya?

HeartHeart

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 12:28:34 PM »
^ pwede hanggang 32nd week of pregnancy.   :-*

this_is_me

• GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 01:17:08 AM »
had anyone tried flying with cebu pac while pregnant? wala kais silang form na like sa PAL yun EMIS. magpapa-certify nalang ako?

HeartHeart

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 09:22:40 AM »
^ meron silang form.  humingi ako sa ticketing office nila nung andun ako sa naia3.  pero hindi ko din nagamit kasi hindi na ako nagpurchase ng ticket.   :-*

Mai

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 02:47:28 PM »
^^This is Me: They have a form, you can print from the website. Or if not, the airline counter will issue a form for you to sign. Pag mga 24weeks and up(if I remember it right) lang sila humihingi ng doc's certificate. I travelled when i was 20weeks pregnant, waiver form lang pwede na,  no need for a medical cert.

a_y_e_n

• I'm on PMS (Purchasing More Shoes) mode. i love being a newbie mommy and a
  • Super GirlTalker
  • a girl can never have too many shoes!
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 04:19:06 PM »
had anyone tried flying with cebu pac while pregnant? wala kais silang form na like sa PAL yun EMIS. magpapa-certify nalang ako?

2x ako nagtravel by plane ngayong pregnant ako (5 weeks tsaka 16 weeks), yun nga lang during 1st trimester ko pa lang kaya i din't fill up any waiver or consent form.
there once was a little girl who never knew love until a boy broke her HEART
http://kerenkeng.blogspot.com/
http://mylomolove.blogspot.com/

smm_0411

• loving wife, mom and a
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • My life..... "Honey, Kristine and Kathleen"
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 06:32:58 PM »
am planning to give birth there in the Philippines.  Hindi ba delikado na magtravel by 35 weeks... nagtanong kasi ako sa airlines and they told me na upto 36weeks nag accept sila basta may form na pinirmahan ng OB ko at need ko din magpunta sa airline doctor nila to verify lahat ng information na nakalagay sa form.... do you think it's safe to travel.. nagdalawang isip kasi ako manganak dito dahil walang mag-aalaga sa akin at CS pa ako... only me and hubby ang magkasama ngayon... hayysss hirap ng malayo sa parents....  :(
It's not easy loving someone from a DISTANCE but the PAIN of being far draws the love closer, the longing to see THE ONE you love reaffirms in the heart that the love is FOR REAL...

this_is_me

• GirlTalker
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 02:48:45 AM »
ok thanks thanks

iyahkin

• GirlTalker
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 05:31:24 PM »
i travelled to SG when i was on my 32nd week for a 2week vacay sa dad and mom ko .. i signed a waiver and got a clearance sa PAL that time .. but when i travelled to Johor Bahru and back to SG for a day .. dun ako nahold for an hour .. even if may letter ako from my OB and PAL .. on my 34th week .. nahold din ako sa immigration kasi i need to get a separate letter from an OB sa SG .. nakakainis lang .. sobrang hassle ..

carmel

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 06:51:12 PM »
On my recent pregnancy I travelled by plane 2 times. On my 5th month to Coron and my 6th month to HK. I got all the OB clearance and all but super hassle. Buti na Lang I didn't look pregnant so I didn't have to go through the waiver process on my way home from HK.

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.