Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day THU 23 OCT 14
Accidentally get super glue on your skin while finishing a home project? Soak it in acetone and wash with soap afterward.
  • Good House Keeping
    Judy Ann Santos-Agoncillo returns to our cover this September issue and gets candid about money, marriage, and motherhood.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Drop two sizes fast—with simple exercises you can do at home! This month's ultimate weight-loss special shows you how. Plus, real women share how you, too, can shed and keep off excess weight for good.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: The UK and Ireland  (Read 30154 times)

polymath2012

• Super GirlTalker
Re: The UK and Ireland
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2012, 12:12:59 AM »
^^bihira naman mag-below zero deg during daytime, but you're right depende rin kung may snow or kung windy, hard to say really kasi very unpredictable ang UK weather, one minute its sunny then next minute umuulan na...kaya nga i hate the weather here, esp now lapit nanaman winter :(

How much you'll save is depende rin sa bibilin mo. Say you buy an item worth 20 pwede mo tawaran to 15-18, depende rin sa seller. Shempre, the more you buy, the more discount you get :)
Ignorance is bliss.

riksy07

• GirlTalker
    • Bubble of Blah
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2012, 11:22:42 AM »
Sisses, I'm thinking of adding a visit to Highclere Castle in my itinerary. Fan kasi ako ng Downton Abbey na series and doon siya shinooshooting. May nakapunta na ba sa inyo doon? Is it worth it? I've been reading mixed reviews kasi sa net eh.

little_princess

• Shopaholic Princess
  • Super GirlTalker
    • Princess in a teacup
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2012, 10:04:16 AM »
^^ yeah, i hate the weather sa UK. we were there last summer and umuulan! tapos this march insted na malamig, mainit. so hopefully, we can get some sunshine or hindi super lamig or else we'll just stay home most of the time.

stupid question, how do you make tawad sa flea markets?

mom_G

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2013, 02:54:47 AM »
Has anyone tried to fly out of london using budget airlines (easyjet/ryanair)?  Ang dami palang airports sa london and I have no idea which one to choose.

foxymom

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2013, 09:02:14 AM »
^i think the smaller airports (gatwick/ london city) are the ones who cater to the european budget airlines :)

mama squeak!

• Board Moderator
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2013, 09:57:14 AM »
^^There are four airports that are easily accessible to central London (an hour to less travel time via train). London Heathrow is the largest followed by London Gatwick. Most of the international and premium airlines are based here. Then there's Stansted and Luton where mostly low-budget and Mediterranean carriers are based.

Easyjet and Ryanair flies from all airports except Heathrow.

:)

shegie_285

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2013, 04:24:39 AM »
mom_G I've flown in and out of London via Gatwick, ryanair. My hubby naman have flown to stansted too. Both airports are fine, easily accessible via train to/from central London.  I am not sure if easy jet flies to London city, i think that's the closest from central london.

mom_G

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2013, 06:10:53 AM »
I'm trying to get tickets from London to Barcelona.  It looks like Easyjet has more flights from Gatwick.  Thanks, foxymom, shegie_285 and mama squeak! 

shegie_285

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2013, 07:42:14 AM »
Hi Girls - has anyone been to Edinburgh, any recommendations to see aside from these spots: Edinburgh Castle, St. Giles church, Princes st., camera obscura, museums and ang cafe na sinulatan ni JK Rowling? Anyone tried going to Arthur Seat - is it a tiring hike? I have been to Edinburgh before for three days, so i've done thoe stuff i've mentioned.  I am going again for three days this weekend, now with a friend who hasn't been there, so I am thinking i'll do some of those stuff again plus maybe something different.

The highlands - we're not particularly keen because we live in Ireland and I think Ireland's countryside is very similar.

Thanks in advance! :)

little_princess

• Shopaholic Princess
  • Super GirlTalker
    • Princess in a teacup
« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2013, 04:13:04 PM »
She, how was your edinburg trip? :) just got back here in manila after spending 5 weeks in england. Hoping to go to wales and ireland soon!

If anyone is needing hitel recos, try holiday inn bloomsbury. Literally a block from russel sq station and is a few stops away from knightsbridge and oxford :)

shegie_285

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2013, 06:52:27 AM »
Hi Kim! It was good! :) ang lamig nagkasakit ako pagbalik ko dito sa ireland. Bigla naman kasing lumamig last weekend, hindi pa naman ako ready tapos we were always out.  I saw something new, the official residence of the queen sa edinburgh plus ang dungeon tour nila. :)

how was your trip, aside from the restos?

I saw nga your FB status. Ah sana matuloy ka dito. :) I'll go to London in May for a weekend with my mother and sisters in law. Girls weekend. :) I'll remember your hotel recommendation. :)

little_princess

• Shopaholic Princess
  • Super GirlTalker
    • Princess in a teacup
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2013, 03:19:11 PM »
May should be good daw sa England but you bever know! March kasi was super nice, even Feb. though last day namin there it literally snowed and we were in Greenwich so super lamig to the bone. Feeling ko if we were out in the snow for days magkakasakit din ako!

4 days lang kami sa London to meet friends but we went to the British museum which is walking distance sa hotel and Greenwich tapos shopping in knightsbrige, oxford and covent garden. Also went to a friend's gig in cumming street and super fun! Cornwall was nice and aside from the food, puro picturesque seaside towns, my favorite was fowey :)

Will be in london mostly next month but will be in paris for 4 days before going to cornwall for 10 days haha baka magkasalubing tayo sa london!

caterpillar-girl

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2013, 01:06:51 PM »
How much should we budget for a 2 week stay  in UK? We're planning to be based in London lang, but we'd like to go around day trips or overnight trips around London. We're not backpackers hehe but we'll be fine with any type of room as long as it's clean and it has en suite bathroom. Plus we can cook, so if renting apartments is cheaper, we can also do that. Kasya na ba 1,000 pounds or bitin?
"Like a bird on the wire / Like a drunk in a midnight choir / I have tried in my way to be free."

little_princess

• Shopaholic Princess
  • Super GirlTalker
    • Princess in a teacup
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2013, 01:18:39 PM »
^ it depends when you are going kasi during winter time, mas mura but the price doubles or triples during summer which is the peak.

just to give you an idea, we will be in london for 3 weeks this april-may. we got a self catering apartment in the city center in the bloomsbury area near euston tube. a week's rent is GBP700 but the kitchen is fully equipped, there is a washer/dryer and wifi na. you can get cheaper places at GBP400 per week but mas malayo na sa zone 1 or long walk from the tube station.

if you would like to go on overnight trips, a typical b&b would cost GBP60-100 and the more reasonable hotels would be premier inn and holiday inn pero nasa GBP80-150 per night na yan.

for eating out, medyo tipid mode kami ni hubby and we would budget GBP10-15 per person but sometimes we splash out and budget GBP20-25 per person. iba pa yung michelin star restaurant eating.

caterpillar-girl

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2013, 01:33:24 PM »
^^Thanks little_princess. I think GBP1,000 is bitin nga. Sa hotel/apartment palang pala ubos na money namin. Maybe we'll try those Air BnB apartments. We're planning to go around May or June next year. We'll aim for GBP2,000. Ulp good luck to us!
"Like a bird on the wire / Like a drunk in a midnight choir / I have tried in my way to be free."

little_princess

• Shopaholic Princess
  • Super GirlTalker
    • Princess in a teacup
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2013, 01:52:37 PM »
^ we booked our apartment from airbnb, mahal talaga sa london compared to other cities. our friends who are living in london told us that if we find an apartment within zone 1 or 2 that is about GBP500 per week, ok na daw yun! don't mind zone 3 as long as you are minutes away from the tube.

caterpillar-girl

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2013, 11:28:46 AM »
little_princess, we found out that my fiance has an aunt pala in London! We can stay with her during our trip for free. Her place is near the train station lang. So with accommodation fees out of the way, can we survive 2 weeks in London with less than GBP1,500? Or stretch it pa to be safe? We're not super picky eaters, we can buy food and cook at home but we do want to see the sights and go around a bit :)

little_princess

• Shopaholic Princess
  • Super GirlTalker
    • Princess in a teacup
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2013, 03:42:40 PM »
^ oh wow, that's great! do you know which train station?

i think pag GBP1500, medyo tipid mode kasi lumalabas GBP107 per day for the both of you. say you have breakfast at pret a manger, nasa GBP7 na then lunch and dinner total would be GBP50. then you have to cost in GBP20 each per week for tube rides. parang the rest of your money would be for attraction costs na but free naman musuems in london.

shegie_285

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2013, 06:37:28 AM »
Hi Kim! Ngaun lang at super busy sa work. :( no time for internet.  Hopefully it'll be nice in May but yeah you never know. Im tired of the gloomy weather na nga.

We'll go shopping lang ang maybe watch a show, weekend ng May 18 ang plan namin. :) hope magkasalubong tayo. hehe...

caterpillar-girl singit ako. if you would like to do mga day trips medyo mahal din sya. we did the stonehenge/bath/windsor castle, we paid 75 per person in 2011. then harry potter was like 20. search mo na lang mga tours na gusto mo para makita mo price and ma-factor sa budget. although may mga free naman nga.

little_princess

• Shopaholic Princess
  • Super GirlTalker
    • Princess in a teacup
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2013, 10:28:29 AM »
Hi she! Sayang, parang i will be in exeter na that weekend kasi may stag party somewhere near there so iwan ko sa hotel haha :) sana nga nice, actually we got a lot if sunshine when i was there but it snowed on our last day tapos nag greenwich pa kami, super lamig!

The harry potter studio tour is 29 per head na! How long did you stay sa bath? We did windsor na kasi and will road trip to stonhenge next month. Super nice daw ng bath but we don't know how long should we stay.

Btw, for those visiting the UK, you have to try scones and clotted cream. Super ako na addict!

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.