Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day SAT 25 OCT 14
Want to get an edge at work? Attend seminars, immersions, and training sessions provided by your office to hone your skills.
  • Good House Keeping
    Judy Ann Santos-Agoncillo returns to our cover this September issue and gets candid about money, marriage, and motherhood.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Drop two sizes fast—with simple exercises you can do at home! This month's ultimate weight-loss special shows you how. Plus, real women share how you, too, can shed and keep off excess weight for good.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: The UK and Ireland  (Read 30177 times)

mameejhy

• SuperMAMEE!
  • Super GirlTalker
    • Mamee + Babee Bookworms
The UK and Ireland
« on: December 01, 2010, 05:52:22 PM »
Sino sa inyo ang nakapunta na sa Ireland? Maganda ba mamasyal dun? Marami ba mapasyalan at magagawa dun?

Thanks  :)

mama squeak!

• Board Moderator
  • Super GirlTalker
Re: Ireland
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 06:37:32 PM »
^I haven't been there yet but I would want to go there someday. The best known attraction there would be the Giant Causeway. It's a basalt formation that stretches all the way towards Scotland. It's actually a World Heritage site.

And of course the Blarney Stone. According to legend, kissing the Blarney Stone will give you the gift of gab. Okay 'to sa mga sales people!   ;D

mameejhy

• SuperMAMEE!
  • Super GirlTalker
    • Mamee + Babee Bookworms
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 01:48:59 PM »

And of course the Blarney Stone. According to legend, kissing the Blarney Stone will give you the gift of gab. Okay 'to sa mga sales people!   ;D

hehe talaga? ;D

scrapbookjunkie

• Senior GirlTalker
  • I am a potential grown-up.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 04:18:49 PM »
pangarap ko din pumunta dito. nung addict pa kami ng friend ko sa boyzone, ito yung dream destination namin.  hahaha
Don't judge me by my relatives.

caterpillar-girl

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 02:33:30 AM »
My bf and I are planning to fly here next year. We'll be visiting his sister and her family. Dublin muna,  then hopefully we'll get to go to London. I can't wait! Guinness beer, Blarney Stone, castles, countryside, U2 origins. Sana may nakapunta na dito so she can give us tips! I know Irish visa is different pa from Schengen and UK visa, but that's all I know.
"Like a bird on the wire / Like a drunk in a midnight choir / I have tried in my way to be free."

sakura_bloom

• Beauty Desired
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Beauty By Desire
    • https://www.facebook.com/DesirebloomAtelier
LONDON
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 10:49:10 PM »
Hi.
Anyone here can share information how much a roundtrip fare to London would be?
And discount/promos on fares, tours & accommodations to London?
Thanks! :)

little_princess

• Shopaholic Princess
  • Super GirlTalker
    • Princess in a teacup
Re: LONDON
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 11:54:18 PM »
i'm going this july before the olympic games and as of now, cheapest airfare i found is at $1360/pax via eithiad.

i'm actually looking for hotels.. they are so expensive! choices are admiral hotel and hilton islington. both are near the tube, 200-300m away.

sakura_bloom

• Beauty Desired
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Beauty By Desire
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 01:33:21 AM »
^Thanks sis!
I'll look that up! :)

mama squeak!

• Board Moderator
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 09:24:15 AM »
^Check out Cathay Pacific's online promo fares at USD1197 all-in per passenger. Travel period is now until June 30 only.

:)

sakura_bloom

• Beauty Desired
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Beauty By Desire
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 09:33:43 PM »
^Suuuuper Thanks!! :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:38:06 AM by mama squeak! »

mama squeak!

• Board Moderator
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 09:53:30 AM »
@little_princess, it will definitely be expensive staying right at the center of London. If you don't mind travelling 10-15 minutes via bus or the tube try to look for hotels at the outer center.

Check the hotels or B&B (more common in the UK) around the Greenwich Park area near the River Thames. Further down Woolwhich Common is a safe and good area as well. This was where we used to live in London, just right in front of the park. It's just one bus ride away to central London. Check the Bermondsey Square Hotel. Or you can always rent a flat if staying for more than 3 nights  ;)

This interactive map might help or you can use Google map too:

http://www.mylondonmap.com/ 

sakura_bloom

• Beauty Desired
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Beauty By Desire
Re: The UK and Ireland
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 04:32:53 AM »
^Anyone here tried the Generator hostels? OK ba? Any feedbacks? Safe?
Thanks! :)

mama squeak!

• Board Moderator
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
I am posting the IT prepared by jenny_singkit with my comments for their upcoming trip to London to help other GTs planning a trip to London:

Hi sis,

Some questions and suggestion on your IT:

May 11  -  What's LHG? I'm assuming you mean LHR? London Heathrow or London Gatwick (LGW)?
                Check-in at Legoland Resort

May 12  -  Legoland is in Windsor. Wouldn't it be easier to go to Windsor Castle from here? I noticed you have a daytrip to Stonehenge and Bath as well. Is this on a tour out of central London or are you DIYing this trip?
                Suggest instead of overnight in Legoland make it two nights so you can do your daytrip to Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath. I'm just concerned that this might be bitin for you unless you're with a tour group. From Windsor to Bath (being the farthest is already a 2 hour drive), so round trip is 4 hours easy. Parang ganito kasi yung distance nyan:

Windsor to Stonehenge = 65miles (1H30M)
Stonehenge to Bath      = 40miles (40M)

But if you can't move your hotel bookings and/or your day trip is with a tour group then your IT should be fine. 

May 13  - Buckingham Palace and the Changing of the guards.
               Lunch at Hyde Park or Green Park, you mean? Kensington gardens is further down Hyde Park. Or do you really plan to have lunch at Kensington gardens?
               Platform 9 3/4 - suggest to leave this on the last day as this is at King's Cross station near St. Pancras where you board the Eurostar.
               Not familiar with Comedy Club for kids   

May 14  - Tower of London / Tower bridge. You can board the river cruise from here and get off at the Westminster Pier for the Parliament buildings and Big Ben. Walk towards the London Eye.
              Tate museum / Millennium bridge / St. Paul's Cathedral (climb up the dome)

May 15  - Day trip to Windsor Castle/Stonehenge/Bath but if you did this on May 12 (as suggested) this leaves you the whole day to do the British Museum. I love this place! Coram's Field is nearby. If you're not too tired, you can go to King's Cross station (Platform 9 3/4).

May 16  - Check-out from hotel.

Question, do you really want to do the day trip? Concern there is you only have a short time in London and there are so many places to see na right there. It would be too tiring for the kids pa.

Notice I did not put any timings as this will give you more flexibility to go with the flow. Considering you have children in tow, there might be places that they would want to stay longer or shorter. Depende na lang sa interest and remaining energy nila. 

foxymom

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 11:51:29 AM »
thank goodness for this thread!!

hubby and i plan to go to london during the christmas/new year holidays :)

can someone recommend a good hotel/ apartment near the center? yung mura lang po ha! will definitely be there to celebrate new year, so hopefully we can get a good place near the fireworks celebration.

what are the must see in london? the stonehenge is in my bucket list so we will definitely go there :)

and, to make the most of our UK visa, i want to go to Scotland -- what to see there?

thank you all for the help!

little_princess

• Shopaholic Princess
  • Super GirlTalker
    • Princess in a teacup
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 12:21:56 PM »
we finally booked out tickets and hotels for our Cornwall and London trip this July. In Cornwall, we'll be staying in Elmswood B&B then in London, we will be staying in Hilton Islington which is near Angel station and about 30mins away from Central London.

Just to share,, our itinerary is -

10th July   
   Morning   Fly to London, UK
   Afternoon   Travel to Par, Cornwall on the Train
   Evening   Relax in the hotel

11th July   
        Morning   Tywardreath village
   Afternoon   Trenython Manor
   Evening   Picturesque Fowey Town

13th July   
        Morning     City of Truro
   Afternoon   Pendennis Castle
   Evening   59 North Street

12th July   
        Morning   Driving tour of Par
   Afternoon   Prideaux Woods
   Evening   The Pub

14th July   
        Morning   The Eden Project
   Afternoon   Charlestown Harbour
   Evening   Granny's House

15th July   
        Train depart Par 9:45am & arrive London 14:33pm   
   Afternoon   St Paul's Cathedral
   Evening   Covent Garden

16th July   
        Morning   Westminster Bridge & Parliament View
              Houses of Parliament & Big Ben
              Westminster Abbey
   Afternoon   Whitehall & 10 Downing Street
              Trafalgar Square & Nelson's Column

17th July   
        Morning   Buckingham Palace
   Afternoon   Hyde Park
              Harrods Knightsbridge
              Harvey Nichols
   Evening   Fortnum & Mason Piccadilly
              Piccadilly Circus

18th July   
        Morning   Tower Bridge
              Tower of London
   Afternoon   Royal Observatory, Greenwich
              Borough Market
   Evening   Shakespeare's Globe Theatre (optional)

19th July   
        Morning   Selfridges Oxford Street
              Debenhams Oxford Street
              House of Fraser Oxford Street
   Afternoon   Carnaby Street, Soho (optional)
              Bicester Village
20th July   
        Morning   Morning at leisure
   2:45PM flight back to Manila
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:26:06 PM by little_princess »

design21

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 03:19:24 PM »
When visiting London i suggest you get the hop on hop off tour and start early.
Pray, Hope and Dont Worry

caterpillar-girl

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 08:15:58 PM »
I was in Ireland last year. I love Ireland!!!  The landscape was just sooo beautiful. And the Irish are friendly folks!! It was just an amazing experience. We rode KLM, and it was cheaper than Etihad. It was the cheapest direct flight, that's why I'm pretty pissed that KLM is stopping all its Manila-Amsterdam direct flights na.

In Ireland, try to go to Belfast din. That's our base in exploring Giant's Causeway. Plus it has its own history. Go do the Bombs and Bullets tour, super interesting if you're into history. But bear in mind that Belfast is practically UK territory na, so bring your passports just in case. Sa kamalas malasan, we were stopped by the border patrol going back to Dublin and we left our passports in Dublin! Ready na ko magmakaawa just in case. Buti nalang I brought our plane tickets and siguro inisip nung patrol guy na "Poor hapless tourists" kaya he let us go nalang. :)

I miss Ireland!
"Like a bird on the wire / Like a drunk in a midnight choir / I have tried in my way to be free."

mama squeak!

• Board Moderator
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 11:32:43 AM »
@foxymom, I found this flat in central London. The place looks clean since all white sya plus the landlord has good reviews too. Pretty close to tube stations too.

http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/127922#photos

Re Stonehenge, just to warn you it's going to be wet, cold and windy during your visit there. But if you don't mind the weather/temp the place is something else. It gave me goosebumps just thinking what may have happened there a long time ago. And I was just in highschool then ha.  ;D

Try to visit the white cliffs of Dover also. Will you guys be driving?

foxymom

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 09:47:40 AM »
thank you for this mama squeak! maganda nga sya! im excited already.

how is london during december/early jan? would it be the same as paris?

what cold month would it be good to visit? early spring/ fall weather. i've come to realize i actually prefer to travel during cold season. it makes walking a lot easier -- and plus is i do not have to smell any unwanted body odor, hehe

sakura_bloom

• Beauty Desired
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Beauty By Desire
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 03:53:10 PM »
^mama squeak do you have any place to recommend for accommodations?
My budget is 20-40 euros/pounds per day for a week, only for 1 person staying?
In London sana, safe for a solo traveller.

Thanks!:)

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.