Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day SUN 23 NOV 14
No boyfriend? No problem! Learn to be comfy in your own company--it will help boost your self-confidence too!
  • Good House Keeping
    The New Mrs. Pitt, Angelina Jolie, is on the cover of the November issue of Good Housekeeping!
    Good Housekeeping
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: All About Photography [Thread 3]  (Read 39587 times)

dimps_dc

Re: All About Photography [Thread 3]
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2010, 07:49:59 AM »
thanks for sharing sis!  :)

i'm planning to enrol in sir nicolay's basic photography class. i checked his blog, and mukhang ok ang classes nya kasi it would be from a real teacher's perspective. isip ko kasi baka masyado technical if i would take basic photography lessons from a die-hard photography. besides, mas affordable and reasonably-priced yung classes nya. meron na ba sa inyo mga sis, na naka-attend ng class nya? how was it?  :)

and lastly, kelan EB? baka abutin na tayo ng Christmas nyan.. sabagay, a Christmas photowalk is not a bad idea...  :)

Hi sis,

Kami ni sis shegothim already attended one of his classes, hindi lang kami sabay. Nauna siya sa akin :D

I attended the Basic Photography last Thursday & it was okay for me. We were 4 who were all newbies sa photography, though kakabasa ko ng sangkaterbang forums medyo alam ko na yung terms. He teaches the most basic and hindi siya technical since hindi nga naman siya talaga photographer. More on how you can learn how to work on your camera & it's settings & tips na rin. His other lessons is more on what you want to achieve, to which I'm planning to enroll soon :D
I now look at LIFE on a different perspective...

janzphynx

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2010, 01:32:41 PM »
ask lang sana ako, kung saan pwedeng bumili ng kingston SDHC 16GB class 10? Salamat :)
We are under the same sky so then, for that day, silently and strongly

slickchick

• WaRpEd & TwIsTeD
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Enjoying the Best of Both Worlds...
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2010, 11:41:20 AM »
Hi sis,

Kami ni sis shegothim already attended one of his classes, hindi lang kami sabay. Nauna siya sa akin :D

I attended the Basic Photography last Thursday & it was okay for me. We were 4 who were all newbies sa photography, though kakabasa ko ng sangkaterbang forums medyo alam ko na yung terms. He teaches the most basic and hindi siya technical since hindi nga naman siya talaga photographer. More on how you can learn how to work on your camera & it's settings & tips na rin. His other lessons is more on what you want to achieve, to which I'm planning to enroll soon :D

salamat sa info sis! sige, i'll check his website.. buti na lang may weekend schedule sya.. weekend lang kasi ako pwede..  :)
Sky above me... Earth below me... Fire within me...

dimps_dc

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2010, 02:01:14 PM »
ask lang sana ako, kung saan pwedeng bumili ng kingston SDHC 16GB class 10? Salamat :)

Hi sis,

Try checking TPC for it =)

trendy

• Proud to be a
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • Be happy...life is good!!!
    • My ETSY Shop
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2010, 04:41:46 PM »
mga sis, question. pano ba ginagawa yung shot na yung baby nakaupo on top of a cupcake? mahal kasi magpastudio dito sa singapore kaya naisip ko ako na lang gagawa pero wala akong idea kung pano gawin yun sa baby ko.

nYx

• GUYTalker
  • GirlTalker
    • I am not_nYx
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2010, 06:48:22 PM »
uy new thread! pasali ulit ako, hehe!
if your planning a photowalk|EB, check nyo muna yung area kung kailangan pa kumuha ng permit, like sa intramuros ng ecopark, pero sa UP i think pede na dun. we shot camz, Gtalker din dun as our model:)
I drum because I am a musician, I drum because drumming is the beat of all music, I am at my best when I drum...

...and above that, I just want chicks(toinks!)

dimps_dc

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2010, 07:22:13 PM »
uy new thread! pasali ulit ako, hehe!
if your planning a photowalk|EB, check nyo muna yung area kung kailangan pa kumuha ng permit, like sa intramuros ng ecopark, pero sa UP i think pede na dun. we shot camz, Gtalker din dun as our model:)

Hello po!

Planning nga sama, especially us noobs =)

Hindi pa lang maayos yung schedule/venue kung saan. I did suggest yung Manila Auto Saloon next week sa MOA :D (from the other thread)

haisah

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2010, 11:07:57 AM »
Pa join din ako mga sis. I'm also a newbie in photography. sama ako sa photowalk if matuloy.

bleudskymd

• MD, DPAFP
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • yeah bah!
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2010, 11:40:45 AM »
hi guys. any suggestions where to do photoshoots here in manila. i'm planning to do it on tuesday since holiday siya. thanks in advance!
"I cheated on my fears, broke up with my doubts, got engaged to my faith & now I'm marrying my dreams."

blueblood

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2010, 02:51:27 PM »
hey there! my dad recently gave me a canon eos 450d and honestly, i really don't know what i should exactly do with this camera. i was thinking of buying a lens for it and i want a lens that would work very well for portraits and landscapes. do you have any suggestions? :)

charmed30

• bad a$$
  • Junior GirlTalker
    • Ryan + Jel Wedding Website
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2010, 03:21:40 PM »
just downloaded scott kelby's The Digital Photography Volumes 1-3 ebooks. hopefully matapos ko siya para makapag take na ng magagandang pictures.

caterpillar-girl

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2010, 11:01:45 AM »
^^Not an expert by any means, but I think lenses for portraits and landscapes are different. You might need a wide angle lens, like 10mm, for landscape whereas for portraits you might want something in the middle of wide angle and extreme telephoto, like maybe 50mm to 100mm.  If you just got your 450D, maybe try shooting with the kit lens first. That will work for now, while you're still familiarizing yourself with your camera. Good luck.
"Like a bird on the wire / Like a drunk in a midnight choir / I have tried in my way to be free."

nYx

• GUYTalker
  • GirlTalker
    • I am not_nYx
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2010, 11:11:08 AM »
hi guys. any suggestions where to do photoshoots here in manila. i'm planning to do it on tuesday since holiday siya. thanks in advance!
why not set that as your mini EB, dame gusto magphotowalk dito oh!:)
hey there! my dad recently gave me a canon eos 450d and honestly, i really don't know what i should exactly do with this camera. i was thinking of buying a lens for it and i want a lens that would work very well for portraits and landscapes. do you have any suggestions? :)
caterpillar-girl is right! portrait lens and landscapes are different..
the kit(18-55mm) will be good for you pang start up lang.. wag ka muna bumili ng lens hanggat hindi mo alam kung ano talaga gusto mo, maximixe what you have right now...:D
I drum because I am a musician, I drum because drumming is the beat of all music, I am at my best when I drum...

blueblood

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2010, 03:42:43 PM »
^^Not an expert by any means, but I think lenses for portraits and landscapes are different. You might need a wide angle lens, like 10mm, for landscape whereas for portraits you might want something in the middle of wide angle and extreme telephoto, like maybe 50mm to 100mm.  If you just got your 450D, maybe try shooting with the kit lens first. That will work for now, while you're still familiarizing yourself with your camera. Good luck.
caterpillar-girl is right! portrait lens and landscapes are different..
the kit(18-55mm) will be good for you pang start up lang.. wag ka muna bumili ng lens hanggat hindi mo alam kung ano talaga gusto mo, maximixe what you have right now...:D
Thank you guys for the advice! I know I shouldn't just rush into buying lenses, pero feel ko na talagang bumili.  Hahaha! I want that 50mm/f1.8 II lens. I heard & read that it's one of the cheapest lenses yet take good and sharp shots. Uhm, can I ask? How do you know if that certain lens is wide-angle/telephoto/zoom??  :)

bleudskymd

• MD, DPAFP
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • yeah bah!
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2010, 08:17:25 PM »
why not set that as your mini EB, dame gusto magphotowalk dito oh!:)

sobrang biglaan lang siya and it's not that well organized. hehe!
"I cheated on my fears, broke up with my doubts, got engaged to my faith & now I'm marrying my dreams."

queencath

• GirlTalker
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2010, 10:52:02 PM »
Thank you guys for the advice! I know I shouldn't just rush into buying lenses, pero feel ko na talagang bumili.  LOL! I want that 50mm/f1.8 II lens. I heard & read that it's one of the cheapest lenses yet take good and sharp shots. Uhm, can I ask? How do you know if that certain lens is wide-angle/telephoto/zoom??  :)

Wide angle:  focal range is approximately between 8-22mm.
telephoto: 85mm, 100mm, 135mm, 300mm, 400mm, 600mm etc..
telephoto zoom lens:  focal range of 70-200mm and above.
standard zoom:  18-55,  18-135, 24-70, 24-105 etc.

About the 50mm f/1.8 lens, it is possible that you won't be able to appreciate this lens unless you understand the basics of photography.  If you are using [Auto] or [P] mode in your camera, shots taken from a 50mm f/1.8 and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 might just be the same.
Have a great devotion to Mary Help of Christians and you will see what miracles are.

liquidglaze

• addiction is a hobby
  • Super GirlTalker
  • i'm so blessed!!
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2010, 10:06:42 AM »
Hi! I wanna invest in a good camera.
What would you guys suggest?
" ... and what constitutes evil, real evil, is taking of a single human life. Whether a man would die tomorrow or the day after or eventually ... it doesn't matter. Because if God does not exist, then life ... every second of it, is all we have."

qt_ben17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2010, 10:10:42 AM »
^ canon or nikon of course.  canon for a completely newbie sa dslr. nikon if you are novice.  that's just my opinion anyway
eto na naman sila, "mas better" , "pinaka the best"

nYx

• GUYTalker
  • GirlTalker
    • I am not_nYx
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2010, 10:14:09 AM »
Hi! I wanna invest in a good camera.
What would you guys suggest?
This might help...

This is a religious question, and most people have strong feelings about it that mainly depend on whichever system theyve bought into already. However, its complicated by the fact that there are definitely strengths and weaknesses of each system.

Note that I say system here - I believe its far more important to consider all the elements of a given camera system (lenses, flash units, etc) than a specific camera model. You often see posts online from people agonizing over whether they should buy the Canon 30D or the Nikon D200 or the Sony Alpha or whatever, but I think theyre missing the point. Unless you really really love a specific camera model for some reason, or just want to buy a single camera and lens, its wiser to consider the features available to you in the whole system.

So I think the question only becomes meaningful when you ask, which manufacturer makes a system which best suits my particular photographic needs?

Now since this is meant to be a beginner FAQ for users of Canon EOS cameras Im not going to get into a long discussion about the merits of drawbacks of each manufacturer. But I will mention a few points to consider.

Do you want to buy a new film and a new digital camera which can use the same lenses? If so, Canon, Sony and Pentax are currently your choices. (Sony support the lens format developed by Minolta for their film cameras) Nikon have dropped nearly all their film-related cameras and products. Of course, you can still buy tons of incredibly good second hand Nikon cameras and lenses, so this may not be a huge issue for the time being.

Do you want to be able to use both manual-focus and autofocus lenses on the same camera? If so, many modern Nikon cameras (though not their cheaper models) fit the bill. Canons old manual-focus system (eg: the FD-mount series of cameras) is not compatible with its autofocus system (the EOS series of cameras).

Do you want to buy affordable fast and quiet lenses with ultrasonic motors or image stabilization? If so, Canon is your better choice. Nikon sell lenses containing such technology but only really expensive ones. Sony take a different approach and include image stabilization in the camera body rather than the lens.

Do you have specialized requirements such as the need for interchangeable finders or fully compatible macro bellows or high-capacity film backs? If so, Nikon is probably a better choice.

Do you want a really lightweight camera? Canons low-end SLR gear is some of the lightest around.

Do you have a good friend or relative with lots of camera equipment? If so, and theyre willing to lend you it from time to time, you should probably get the same system that they use. They can also be a valuable resource when you have questions and problems.

Do you want to start out with cheaper products and slowly build up the system with time? If so, Canon's a good choice since they sell cheap, midrange and expensive gear thats all compatible.

And of course there are many other things to consider. If youre interested to know some of the reasons that I personally chose the Canon EOS system, have a look at my article on the topic.

Really, though, it comes down to personal choice. Make a list of the type of features you need to suit your photographic requirements and work out a basic budget. Go to a camera store. Check out the various cameras and lenses that fit that budget and decide if they feel right for you. Play with the camera controls - do they make sense to you? Does the camera grip feel comfortable? Does the maker offer the equipment you want at prices you can afford?

Credits

liquidglaze

• addiction is a hobby
  • Super GirlTalker
  • i'm so blessed!!
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2010, 11:31:12 AM »
^ Thanks. This is very helpful. I will take the points you mentioned carefully and see what really is needed and useful to me.

But for a newbie like me, what I'm looking for must meet these two important points: easy to use and inexpensive.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:35:34 AM by liquidglaze »
" ... and what constitutes evil, real evil, is taking of a single human life. Whether a man would die tomorrow or the day after or eventually ... it doesn't matter. Because if God does not exist, then life ... every second of it, is all we have."

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.