Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day WED 27 AUG 14
Traveling alone for the first time? Use your map. It's better to look like a tourist than get lost in a foreign country.
  • Good House Keeping
    Forever young Cheska Garcia-Kramer talks about her stay-gorgeous secrets, mommy bliss, and the surprising success of #TeamKramer in the August issue a.k.a. the Anti-Aging Special of Good Housekeeping!
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Build the confidence to strut in a pair of jeans with our 28-day pound-shedding, lean muscle-building workout, and learn the best cuts for your body type with our easy style guide.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: 19 things you should NEVER say to a single person  (Read 22974 times)

snooky

• Fashion, food and furry friends
  • GirlTalker
  • Don't be gullible
19 things you should NEVER say to a single person
« on: August 20, 2010, 07:17:03 AM »
19 things you should NEVER say to a single person:

1.  It happens when you're not looking. (that's just bull)

2.  There are plenty of fish in the sea. (oh that will make me feel so much better)

3.  So, why are you still single? (and why are you still rude?)

4.  You're too picky. (go ahead & kick me while I'm down)

5.  You'll find the right person for you. (and that's going to make me feel better too)

6.  He's out there. (uh huh)

7.  It was just bad timing. (like its so easy to dismiss a guy on such emotionless & objective reason)

8.  Just have fun with it! (um, don't tell me how to date in my 30s when you got married at 24)

9.  Have you tried online dating? (duh)

10.  He just wasn't the right guy for you. (I know! That's what I'm complaining about!)

11.  Well when my boyfriend & I first met .... (yeah, that really helps to talk about you because I'm SO much like you)

12.  When the time is right you will meet someone. (oh so that explains it all)

13.  Wow, I wish I were single and in your shoes! (really? I'm pretty sure you CAN be single if you want to be. So if you aren't messing with me out of pity - which I think you are - please go for it!)

14. Your turn next [at weddings]  (there's just no response for that)

15.  It will happen when you least expect it (uh huh, that will keep me warm at night)

16.  Some guy will come along and ruin you career/life plans. (umm I'm in my 30s and no one has ruined the last 10 years)

17.  But you're so pretty! Why don't you have a boyfriend? (there's just no polite or graceful way to answer that)

18. It just wasn't meant to be. (and that is just so annoying when heard from the mouths of smug married people)

19.  Well you can have my guy, all he wants to do is watch sports & never cleans up after himself. (single people just hate to be complained to about petty relationship stuff. Maybe I'll just call up your boyfriend & ask him if he wants to grab a beer & watch the Yankee game)

How do you feel when people say these things to you?

shaunthesheep

• Brother Sheep
Re: 19 things you should NEVER say to a single person
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 07:37:56 AM »
14.  You can always get back at them during funerals by saying the same thing.  ;D

sxymnky

• Senior GirlTalker
  • If I could, I would. Trust me.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 08:07:37 AM »
5.  You'll find the right person for you. (and that's going to make me feel better too)

sesh...WTH sinabi ko eto sa friend  ko anyway....and i think its the only way ;)

guess what ikakasal na siya next month yipeeeeeeeee ...good to hear it worked  :)

The monkey never complains that he has no comb :P

“Somebody must take a chance. The monkeys who became men, and the monkeys  who didn't are still jumping around in trees making faces at the monkeys  who did.” :D

skysenshi

• Kikay Geek
  • I carry soy sauce with me all the time.
    • Skysenshi: A Kikay Geek's Hobby Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 12:49:42 PM »
14.  You can always get back at them during funerals by saying the same thing.  ;D

I was just about to say the same thing.

These questions/sayings are also especially rude for people who really want to remain single.

There's another one, #20..."You're too intimidating." Super irritating to hear that. Eh kung duwag pala sila, di ko sila kelangan. LOL!

A friend of mine got told this by a guy "friend", plus kelangan daw niya mag-lose ng weight. Kasi men generally like to be more intelligent and they like to be around pretty women so she has to lose weight daw. Sabi ko wag niya iharap sakin yung lalake baka masapak ko...
Up where they walk, up where they run, up where they stay all day in the sun, wondering free, wish I could be...
(I'm an old GT member but original account got deleted due to inactivity. LOL.)
http://www.skysenshi.com

yaelski18

• Super Praning
  • GirlTalker
    • Yaelski at Twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 08:16:15 PM »
I wish the thread starter made the proper attribution to the source of the article. This list was originally published in the Glamour magazine blog: http://www.glamour.com/sex-love-life/blogs/single-ish/2010/04/19-things-you-should-never-say.html
It is not a bad idea to get in the habit of writing down one's thoughts. It saves one having to bother anyone else with them. ~ Isabel Colegate

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 08:24:55 PM »
^Yes, give credit where credit is due, please.

SNOOKY,  some of the  19 Things to NEVER Say -- I HAVE SAID to single people.  When I said those things, I meant to be helpful, and/or  to empathize say with their pain/loneliness .... perhaps, words may be inadequate most of the time, given certain circumstances, like death... but there, how to express one's empathy or good intentions/encouragement?

WHAT would single people like their friends TO SAY instead?
Aside from, you're gorgeous?  :D

lennix

• GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 09:07:58 PM »
19 things you should NEVER say to a single person:

TAMAAAAA!!!!

snooky

• GirlTalker
  • Don't be gullible
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 10:11:59 PM »
@yaelski18 thanks for citing the source. I just got it from email

@aquacharly di ko rin alam the right things to say hehe. In my experience i'm usually straight forward to my friends - dress sexier, be flirtier ... things like that

jem_pristine

• REAL Ü
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • =D
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 05:22:02 AM »
4.  You're too picky.

na-ah. we can decide whom to be with. it's not always bein picky!
"Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand."

ylisza

• cutie.. cutie..
  • GirlTalker
  • whatever yaya! you're such a loser..
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 10:32:33 AM »
There's another one, #20..."You're too intimidating." Super irritating to hear that. Eh kung duwag pala sila, di ko sila kelangan. LOL!

so kirek! LOL.. kakaloka.. parang "ok, thank you a.. ang honest mo talaga.. e ano ngayon teh?" hahahaha!
Gifted child. Blessed. Thanks be to God!

fall2pieces

• Junior GirlTalker
    • Tumblr Me and I'll Tumblr You
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 08:20:38 PM »
i've been always told about number 17. still don't know the proper answer to that.
"Everything that happens in this world happens at the time God chooses." Ecclesiastes 3:1" :)

yaelski18

• Super Praning
  • GirlTalker
    • Yaelski at Twitter
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 10:01:12 AM »
To quote from the article:
So, why are you single?
“I generally dislike this question. I mean honestly, if I knew why, I don’t think I would be single right now, now would I?!” —Erica

I've adopted this stance. Kasi naman adik yung mga nagtatanong niyan.
It is not a bad idea to get in the habit of writing down one's thoughts. It saves one having to bother anyone else with them. ~ Isabel Colegate

deliciously_ridiculous

• Junior GirlTalker
  • "You lived. So go live your freakin' life...."
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 07:36:17 PM »
Eto mas worse: and sa dad ko pa mismo nanggaling..  "tomboy ka ba??" lol:))
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."

snooky

• GirlTalker
  • Don't be gullible
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 07:04:22 AM »
^ya another good one

pag single ng matagal pagkakamalan talaga ng gay or lesbian

skysenshi

• Kikay Geek
  • I carry soy sauce with me all the time.
    • Skysenshi: A Kikay Geek's Hobby Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 11:44:01 AM »
Eto mas worse: and sa dad ko pa mismo nanggaling..  "tomboy ka ba??" lol:))

Sasagot ko dyan, "OO!"
Kaso baka hindi tumigil, tapos bigyan pa ako ng babae para lang makita na hindi ako single. Inay.
Up where they walk, up where they run, up where they stay all day in the sun, wondering free, wish I could be...
(I'm an old GT member but original account got deleted due to inactivity. LOL.)
http://www.skysenshi.com

Bubblin'

• Your sweet panda and resident
  • Super GirlTalker
  • I'm soo CoCo....
    • >>>Belldandy Chronicles<<<
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 10:56:05 PM »
an aunt told me,"bakit wala kang boyfriend?kapag wala kang boyfriend pangit ka"... I'm on the verge of answering,"wala nga akong boyfriend,pangit nga ako,pero may pera naman ako,hindi ako umaasa sa magulang ko,at hindi ako palamunin.hindi tulad ng mga anak mo at mga asawa nila na dapat ay nagta-trabaho na,pero umaasa pa rin sa iyo".

it may sound evil..but hey,it's the truth..
I just realized I am not meant to be somebody's "someone" nor anyone's "The One";I am "The Only One" and I am meant for no one but "me,myself,and I".

I am the Black Swan.

snooky

• GirlTalker
  • Don't be gullible
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 01:44:04 AM »
^wag mo na patulan sis.

be proud that you made it on your own without having to be a parasite to your family or dependent on a man.

Bubblin'

• Your sweet panda and resident
  • Super GirlTalker
  • I'm soo CoCo....
    • >>>Belldandy Chronicles<<<
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 10:31:41 AM »
^yup sis. it's not really my fault that she's struggling financially. it's not a also a mistake to remain single.
I just realized I am not meant to be somebody's "someone" nor anyone's "The One";I am "The Only One" and I am meant for no one but "me,myself,and I".

I am the Black Swan.

orangerain

• Junior GirlTalker
    • Mom On Duty
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 10:42:11 AM »

I hate it when people ask this! Sobrang rude nga.
Visit my blog @ Mom On Duty.

lizziebare

• Certified Travel Addict and a
  • GirlTalker
  • waiting to exhale
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 09:49:29 PM »
^I hate that question too. as annoying as "bakit ang tahimik mo?" question.

yung no. 17, common phrase na talaga yan. pero marami talagang pretty and decent girls na single til now.

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.