Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day FRI 25 APR 14
Encourage team work by building good relationships with your co-workers. A team that works well together progresses together.
  • Good House Keeping
    Find your bliss this summer! GH's guide to a calmer, luckier, and happier you. On stands now for only P120.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Real Living
    Real Living’s April 2014 issue is a thing of beauty, literally! The magazine’s Beautiful Homes issue features 43 pages which will inspire you to rethink your own space.
    Real Living
  • Women's Health
    Everything you need to score your hottest, sexiest summer EVER is in the Women’s Health March issue!
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: How did you get your love for reading?  (Read 20991 times)

shinta

• Super GirlTalker
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2010, 11:30:29 AM »
not sure sa age, basta before preschool. nagbabasa ako ng komiks. lol! di kasi bookish parents ko kaya walang ibang libro sa bahay (di din nila ako ibinili  :( ), kaya komiks ng lolo ko yung binabasa ko.

then i remember nung grade 1, most of my classmates will read the comic strip and joke section sa school paper namin. ako i read the literary section. i love reading poems and stories.

every start of the school year, excited ako lagi kasi may bagong libro. bag mag-open ang klase, nabasa ko na lahat ng stories sa mga english at filipino books ko.

sharks

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2010, 12:00:04 PM »
I started reading pocketbooks, i.e. Sweet Valley Twins, when I was only in gradeschool. Since then, I would buy loads and loads and finish reading  half of it in just a couple of days. I guess for me, my love for reading came naturally as I was growing. When i read, my imagination works and so does my brain..and i grew up liking the idea of reading to stimulate my brain..hehe ;D
Can't wait for 2012! ^_^

hairt mini

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2010, 07:31:36 PM »
hmm natatandaan ko lang bata pa ako mahilig na ako mag basa, kahit anong books (wag lang yung math book ko) eh binabasa ko. Masaya na ako kahit nasa bahay lang basta may book at food :))

_lavinia_

• GirlTalker
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2010, 05:55:59 PM »
my parents made sure that there are ample reading materials in the house when we were growing up...
i think that is the reason why reading is somewhat of second nature to us

lennix

• GirlTalker
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2010, 05:58:31 PM »
Homebody kasi ako, I'd rather read than play outside the house when I was a kid. Boring!

summersong

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2010, 04:55:04 PM »
I think I started my love affair with reading even before I learned to read. lol. When I was a tot I often bugged my dad daw to tell me what he's reading sa newspaper, tapos kinukulit ko ang nanay kung ano ibig sabihin nung binabasa niya sa grocery products. Ginagaya ko pa daw ang tatay ko na magbasa ng dyaryo kahit pictures lang tinitingnan ko, complete with mock serious expression. ;D

When my folks were starting out there were not that many books sa house. Sa kalikutan nadiskubre ko mga tagong textbooks ng tatay ko. The folks had been amused to find a 4-year old engrossed in, of all things, a pathology textbook, at di ko daw bitawan. My lola had also requested my folks decades back to send her copies of liwayway magazine to the US, kaya ayun, tuwing dumarating ang subscription copy every week, binabasa ko na agad.

GeRi Sp!cE

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2010, 05:07:39 PM »
My mom is a certified bookworm, she has boxes of Mills & Boon Romance novels, Harlequin, and other books the authors I forgot. I can say I got it from her.

We had a sari-sari store and we rent out komiks :). I remember asking my mom to buy me Children's Komiks everytime she goes to market on sundays. We also had a bookstore names Bookworm's Club located before infront of our city hall. At that time she rents the books to members.

During High School, I was already reading Jean Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear and of course, the romance novels. And I do read Tagalog pocketbooks once in a while because I'm still a filipino. It's fun too to be able to relate to the characters. I love reading anything. Magazines, Newpapers, etc.

Come college, we always go together to Recto to buy Romance Novels. That made our collection much bigger. And when I was already working, I developed an interest to Paolo Coelho's books. It's just enlightening and inspiring. Right now, I'm also loving LOTR and Dan Brown.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 05:11:34 PM by GeRi Sp!cE »
Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have manners no matter what fork you use.

kettlekorn28

• a very happy wife & mom and a
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2010, 06:00:47 PM »
My mom used to have a huge collection of magazines. I was around 2 or 3 when I asked her to teach me the abakada. Yun lang tinuro nya sa akin, simpleng alphabet & its sounds. I learned to read words on my own, di alam ni mommy yun. ;D Then I surprised my parents one day, nakakabasa na ako ng articles sa Manila Bulletin. Then they started buying books for me. Pero pinakagusto ko yung Ibong Adarna books tsaka yung komiks na Bata Batuta na until now nakatago pa. Dati yung mga neighbors kong kasing age ko naglalaro maghapon sa karsada. Ako naman, mas pinipili ko magkulong sa bahay at magbasa. :)
God has given us the greatest gift of all. And that is you, Baby Matthew! :)

thingamajig

• Cogito ergo sum!
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2010, 04:25:52 PM »
Yung mom ko kasi mahilig sa books kaya lagi niya kaming binibilhan ng books dati. Nag-umpisa ako sa pagbabasa ng Sweet Valley Middle High na books then nag-graduate na ako to novels.

Oblina

• Senior GirlTalker
  • Beauty's sister is vanity, and its daughter lust
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2010, 07:24:49 PM »
Mom encouraged us to read Reader's Digest during gradeschool, earliest I could remember when I started reading it was in 3rd grade.. She's a bookworm din kase.
Then my friends and I in elementary would swap pocket books, Sweet Valley High, then mga grade 5-6 we started reading books from Stephen King, Sydney Sheldon kase binabasa ng mga older siblings namen.

lovehatemanila

• Junior GirlTalker
    • SMDC.  SUN Residences.
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2010, 01:09:41 AM »
Ako din, I remember sa komiks ako natuto magbasa, [textspeak!] & Eng.  Nakakatawa, hindi ko pa alam kung paano basahin yung word na "THE" non, I guess I was in kinder that time.  Grade 1, bago pa mag-start ang class, nabasa ko na yung buong english books ko, pati Filipino books.  Kasi diba enrollment palang, kailangan mo na bilhin books mo.  Yun.

Tapos kahit brownout, or madaling araw pa lang, nagigising ako para lang ituloy yung books ko.  Hindi ko mabitawan.  Kaya by grade 3, nagsasalamin na ako.

lilmissprettydiva

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2010, 08:17:28 PM »
Requirement sa school during elementary days and my mom used to bought me books from NBS during their promo and sales.

pepurpink

• Junior GirlTalker
  • braces off...retainers on...
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2010, 11:25:50 AM »
nung grade 4 or 5 yta ako...when i get addicted sa sweet valley. then in HS, i started collecting sweet valley and love stories. nung college, na inlove nako sa books ni catherine coulter, judith mcnaught, nora roberts and johanna lindsey...

basta, i love to read ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 03:51:33 PM by pepurpink »
never try to play with other people around you, for you may never know that they play better than you.

law of karma

chocolicious

• Probationary
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2010, 09:23:31 PM »
guess i started with my very first Mother Goose and Dr. Seuss books that my mama reads to me every night.  i loved hearing the rhymes and looking at the pictures. i also had a coloring book of Fairy Tale stories and when the time came that I was able to read my parents gave me the Bible Stories for Children (10 volumes). i was a quiet student then who just loves to go to the library during lunch break.  i borrowed Enid Blyton books as well as Sweet Valley Twins and Nancy Drew mysteries.
i just love reading so much that i became a reading teacher.  :)

gorgeouschef

• "taray duchess"
  • Senior GirlTalker
    • http://ekonomistangpinay.wordpress.com
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2010, 11:03:08 PM »
When I was in Grade 2, I got addicted to Goosebumps, Fear street, Sweetvalley. I am a fan of RL Stine when I was a kid. Ngayon nag-evolve na ko as a John Grisham fan.. hehe..

computer game is not my cup of tea...:-)

mooncake and leaves

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2010, 11:52:13 PM »
My mom was a librarian then a teacher so I suppose me and my sister got that from her. I remember reading a lot when I was a kid but only really loved it when I got older. Love in the sense that I appreciated what it does to a person. I think my peak was in college and early 20's. And to this day, no other hobby has exceeded my love for it. Siya din kasi pinaka-low maintenance and at the same time, the most useful, most worthwhile :D

ylisza

• cutie.. cutie..
  • GirlTalker
  • whatever yaya! you're such a loser..
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2010, 03:54:25 AM »
sa family namin, walang mahilig magbasa kundi nanay ko.. pero puro comics na tagalog.. hahahaha! pero dun ako nagumpisa.. tas nung college na ako, meron akong crush na sobrang hilig sa sheldon books.. tas i was really trying to please him.. ang ginawa ko nagresearch ako tungkol kay sheldon.. tas nagbasa ako ng nagbasa ng mga works nya..

ayun, ang ending naaddict ako kay sheldon.. hahahaha! tas nakalimutan ko na si crush.. LOL!
Gifted child. Blessed. Thanks be to God!

gwacie

• also known as Grace the Great
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • daydream believer
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2010, 11:10:25 PM »
I don't actually remember having on-air tv as a kid until we moved to the city, so we either had to watch betamax, play outside, or read. My mom used to read us bedtime stories, and my dad was a huge reader. Then in grade school, we had a library stocked with classic books - no Sweet Valley, Fear Street, etc. I remember a whole shelf of Dr. Seuss, L. Frank Baum's Oz books, Little Women, Nancy Drew, etc. We had to do a book report every week plus summer reading, so I guess the habit just grew on me.
I'll seek a four-leaved shamrock in all thy fairy dells,
And if I find the charmed leaves, oh, how I'll weave my spells!

praning

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2010, 11:09:40 PM »
i used to read sweetvalleyhigh, pugad baboy and comics...tas i lost interest na i read fiction/novel books na lang for book report. pero what i really read before was about msytery and history...tas now when i got older im interested with thriller and fantasy books.

aien

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2010, 04:43:22 PM »
lol madami pala sa atin sa komiks nagumpisa hehe. nung elementary pa kami magarkila kami komiks sa tindahan 50c lang nun hehe. tpos bibili ako lumang liwayway magazines ska mga showbiz mags...high school naman uso noon ang mga sweet dreams novels, sweet valley high, nancy drew and hardy boys...tpos mga mills and boon, barbara cartland hanggang sa kumapal ng kumapal na yung binabasa ko lolz...
And so it seems that we have met before,
And laughed before and loved before
But who knows where or when

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
What Would You Do Kung Ikaw ang the Legal Wife?
Would you stay or would you leave?
10 Signs You Need a Diet Makeover
When your body talks, you need to listen.
10 Celebrity Holy Week Destinations
How did these stars spend their long vacays?
Be The Fairest of Them All: 5 Ways You Can Get Whiter Underarms
Discover the power of these whitening solutions for yourself!