Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day TUE 21 OCT 14
Going swimsuit shopping? If you have wide shoulders, play up your torso with colorful bikini bottoms. A square neckline will also do wonders for your upper
  • Good House Keeping
    Judy Ann Santos-Agoncillo returns to our cover this September issue and gets candid about money, marriage, and motherhood.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Drop two sizes fast—with simple exercises you can do at home! This month's ultimate weight-loss special shows you how. Plus, real women share how you, too, can shed and keep off excess weight for good.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: How did you get your love for reading?  (Read 22968 times)

Heatherette

• Super GirlTalker
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 12:15:29 AM »
^Onga.

Na-discover ko din na mas matagal ang "life span" ng HB books than PB daw kaya as much as possible I buy HB books.

lyn

• "Be true to yourself!"
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Say what's on your mind. ;)
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 12:18:24 AM »
Yeah, my husband and I went to this book shop were they sell and trade rare, hard to find books. Daming old books kasi. As in the store itself smells divine. I could stay there. Hehe ;D You can sniffed all you want all day long...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:20:16 AM by lyn »
No matter how clever or sophisticated a man may appear, he is merely clay waiting to be shaped by the hand of a superior woman.  It is, however, best not to let him know this.
                                                    -Helena Pennington-

lilac

• Junior GirlTalker
    • Leather Designs
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 10:00:33 AM »
I saw my best friend reading Sweet Valley, and I tried the series. Got hooked with reading from then on.

purple.strawberry

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 10:52:14 AM »
nung nabasa ko lang yung Tara Road. 3rd year college? haha.  :P

nepenthe

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2010, 02:14:44 PM »
not much into reading nung elem days ko. fairytales naman, more on pics ako, di ko nakahiligan basahin paulit-ulit dahil na rin siguro sa iyong Lolo ko ang kinukulit ko na kwentuhan ako ng fairytales at mga alamat... I started appreciating books when I went to HS. late bloomer. :D I read some of Nancy Drew's novels, tagalog pocketbooks and magazines. I started reading and collecting Sidney Sheldon's novels after I borrowed and read The Star Shines Down from my sister (which she borrowed as well from her friend.hehe) He was my first favorite author. Then sumunod na lang sila Judith McNaught, Paulo Coelho, etc.  :)
"You might see a blue star, for example, and realize only later that it has a white dwarf as a companion--that first one shines so bright, by the time you notice the second one, it's really too late.."

gnela_21

• music loving, book reading
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 01:10:59 AM »
I got the trait from my mom! :) She's an avid reader, even noong college sya, she would go to recto to buy her books and pocketbooks. I don't remember how young I started but I remember buying and reading SVKids and Choose Your Own Adventure. And then it went full blown from there. Libraries are definitely one of the happiest places for me and same as others, I love the smell of new books! Funny thing before we went here, nag-swap na kami ng books ng nanay ko. Hehe. :D
remind me that we'll always have each other when everything else is gone.

gitee

• always here for you..
  • GirlTalker
  • i will survive
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 10:58:12 AM »
influenced by my sister.. kasi magaling siya sa mga english subjects .. nainggit ako kaya nakigaya ako.. at first hindi ko nagustuhan but then when i started reading the first Harry Potter book.. ayun na.. dun na ako nagstart maging book lover.. i read anything from romance to kids books.. now im reading Geronimo Stilton.. hahaha... children's book.. :) 
i may not be able to finish it on time but i will be done before you know it.. you may laugh at me today but i will laugh at you tomorrow.. i will be more successful than you are right now..

lclanzaderas

• Junior GirlTalker
    • work-at-home mom from lipa city
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 10:29:06 AM »
a classmate lend me a romance novel in grade 6. if i remembered correctly, it was harlequin.

khriseeee

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2010, 01:37:07 AM »
I've loved books since I was a kid when my mom would read bedtime stories.

I remember a contest we used to have in school before. Everytime we finished a book, we had to write a short summary of the book and put it into a giant fishbowl. The more entries, the more chances of winning. I won 2 years in a row. The prize was I could choose X amount worth of books in the yearly bookfair at our school  ;D heaven!

Also, our library would only allow each student to borrow 2 books at a time. I made my mom sign up too as parents could borrow 4 books at a time. I got to borrow 6 books every 2 weeks! :)

divine dreamer

• GirlTalker
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 04:40:37 AM »
i was in grade 4.. it was late at night.. i tricked my mom into thinking i was already in dreamland..can you blame me? :p it was a weekend! :p lol.. then i stumbled upon my sister's books.. she's in highschool and taking up noli me tangere.. i saw her textbook and a biography of jose rizal.. i read her noli.. i can't find anything else to do.. :p and i read it all night long.. :) when i was done with her book.. i borrowed my cousin's el filibusterismo.. and finished it the next weekend.. :) i was so into it.. the drama.. the story.. everything.. i can picture all the characters.. especially maria clara and ibarra.. i can feel their angst.. and their love.. and everything else in between.. :) i started reading then.. spending each break time at the library.. :) then before i graduated from elementary i read jose rizal's biography.. :) he's a genius.. :) and come highschool and college.. when all my classmates were struggling with names and dates and places.. i didn't even have to open a book.. my grade 4 self aced all that for me.. :p  i've read a lot of books since then, but they will always have a place in my bookshelves and in my heart... :)

fiona_25

• GirlTalker
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 10:05:30 AM »
during our elem days, my mom would buy us Funny Komiks weekly.. Dun ako na-hook magbasa... After that, Sweet Valley High, Nancy Drew.... Hanggang mag-Sweet Dreams na ko and Love Stories....

kayte28

• Probationary
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2010, 12:34:11 AM »
I was a loner even back when I was a kid. If I remember correctly, I started reading even before I went to Kindergarten. Maybe around 4 or 5 years old. I think the first one I read was a Nursery Rhyme book that comes with a cassette tape. I would read and sing along to the music. Instead of playing outside with the other kids, I would stay inside the house and read. I read anything, from comics to newspapers, magazines, the Bible, textbooks, dictionary. I even read those pamphlets and magazines that some religious groups left at our house. That's how a voracious reader I was, and still am.

I love books, specially the classics. I could live in a library or a bookstore and be happy for the rest of my life. That's one of my dreams, actually. To own a library and have one of the best collection of books. Since elementary days I've been collecting books. To my regret, most of the book I have back in elementary and high school were borrowed and never returned. So now, I'm starting my book collection again.

divine dreamer

• GirlTalker
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2010, 07:13:06 AM »
^^nice story sis.. ill pray na magkatotoo yung dream mo.. :)

annehall

• GirlTalker
  • The world is not perfect,that's why it's beautiful
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2010, 11:19:20 AM »
when i was a kid i got hooked on Sweet Valley Kids, i almost completed the whole collection. Until now it's stored somewhere. I don't know where, naglipat bahay kasi kami. hehe
Actually late na ako nagka interest sa books, imagine sweet valley kids ang binabasa grade 5 na. hahaha

Then nag stop ako magbasa kasi naging groupie fan ako nung early teen years ko. haha Pero pa konti konti yung mga Chicken Soup books.

Tapos Harry Potter came out, bumalik na yung pagka bookworm ko. Then Lord of the Rings. Narnia ... puro fantasy novels.

Tapos nag evolve na yung mga binabasa ko sa more serious books. John Grisham books.

Then nagsawa ako kay John Grisham, Paulo Coelho books na.

I moved on na to read the Classics na Anna Karenina, Anne Frank, Old Man and the Sea, War and Peace, 1984, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Books.

Da Vinci Code materialized out of nowhere and got hooked with those kind of conspiracy books. Then i realized how stupid those are compared to the previous genre that i'm reading.

So to redeem myself, i started reading Nobel and Pulitzer Prize winning books. Up to this time these kind of books ang mga binabasa ko na. Faves ko: Life of Pi, Middlesex, One Hundred years of solitude. And yung mga Mafia books, Mario Puzo books *woot woot* Godfather, The Last Don, The Family ... wow, the gore! haha

Then nagbasa na ako ng mga Manga ngayon. Yung may mga sense na manga ah.

Pero nagbabasa parin ako ng mga books na binabasa ko dati or kahit hindi award winning basta hindi shallow (you get what i mean: bella). *No flames please* hahaha

Ayun po bow. :)
environmental advocacy matters... a lot!

scrapbookjunkie

• Senior GirlTalker
  • I am a potential grown-up.
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2010, 05:25:26 PM »
bata pa lang ako, tambay na ako ng school library namin, nagbabasa ng mga fairy tales. surprising nga kasi parang wala naman maghilig magbasa sa family namin. tapos yung mga books ng kapatid ko, binabasa ko din.
Don't judge me by my relatives.

annehall

• GirlTalker
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2010, 10:21:21 PM »
ay oo sis speaking of library.
noong mga prep/grade 1 ako, sa library namin sa school lagi ako nagbabasa ng mickey mouse books. yung books na mga yun naka shape pa na parang lunchbox, may handle pa. haha ang cute.

Beng01

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2010, 12:32:23 AM »
I remember when I was 8 or 9 years old, my dad brought some Disney books. My sisters were reading and i would pretend reading by looking at the pictures. Later on at 12 years old i had penchant for fairy tale books i borrowed from the library. Not long after that, i discovered Goosebumps, SVH, Love Stories, Archie comics, etc. etc.. So there!
Life for me now is Eat, Pray, LOVE!

Thanks be to God for this Gift of Life. Finally soon to be mom this year!!! ♥♥♥

sweetie024

• .stressed, but happy!.
  • GirlTalker
  • nothing is permanent, but change
    • -severenausea-
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2010, 02:38:22 AM »
ever since i was a toddler, i loved reading books. i remembered na encyclopedias pa ang binasaba ko noon!  ;D now that i have a daughter, i bet she got her love for books from me. she loves reading fairy tales.  ;D
I am not bothered by the fact that I am unknown. I am bothered when I do not know others.
-Confucius
Mother is the name of God, in the lips and hearts of children ~Eric Draven
-severenausea-

annehall

• GirlTalker
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2010, 08:32:13 AM »
ever since i was a toddler, i loved reading books. i remembered na encyclopedias pa ang binasaba ko noon!  ;D now that i have a daughter, i bet she got her love for books from me. she loves reading fairy tales.  ;D

cool mo naman sis encyclopedia.
I bet you're so smart. Kasi yung younger bro ko nung bata siya encyclopedias and almanacs rin binabasa niya and super smart siya ngayon. And i also have a friend na encyclopedias ang binabasa nung maliit pa siya, and she's so intelligent, law student na nga siya sa UP :)

ilovepaolo

• Probationary
  • Miss independent
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2010, 05:27:51 PM »
I started when I was very little, pre-school I think, my mom used to buy me lots of books. I've always loved it as I grew up. I even became a junior librarian in my grade school days. LOL. I think I got it from my uncle (my mom's bro) who loves to read too. We even share the interest on mostly the same topics. :D So, I think that's how. :p Reading, for  me, will always be a true love.  ;D

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.