Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day FRI 25 APR 14
Encourage team work by building good relationships with your co-workers. A team that works well together progresses together.
  • Good House Keeping
    Find your bliss this summer! GH's guide to a calmer, luckier, and happier you. On stands now for only P120.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Real Living
    Real Living’s April 2014 issue is a thing of beauty, literally! The magazine’s Beautiful Homes issue features 43 pages which will inspire you to rethink your own space.
    Real Living
  • Women's Health
    Everything you need to score your hottest, sexiest summer EVER is in the Women’s Health March issue!
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: How did you get your love for reading?  (Read 20996 times)

em.em

• Senior GirlTalker
How did you get your love for reading?
« on: July 09, 2010, 09:09:49 AM »
I learned to read at a very young age, it all started when my mother gave me yung book na abakada. sa loob ng isang araw ilang beses ko sya binabasa hanggang sa nakabisado ko na ata. nung nag kindergarten ako, our teacher gave us short story books to read like ibong adarna etc., basta sa pagkakatanda ko mga alamat yun eh. malaking factor din yung lumaki ako sa bahay ng lola ko dahil ang dami dami nilang books. tuwing hapon after school, uupo ako sa bintana and tried to read each book especially yung may drawings. nakakatawa lang kasi most of them eh hindi ko na maintindihan dahil pang matatanda na talaga. lalo pa ako na addict sa pagbabasa nung nagtayo ng komiks stand yung nanay ko sa harap ng bahay namin hehe, ako ang bantay so lahat ng komiks dun binabasa ko. na feel ko rin yung hindi ako mapakali kapag wala ako binabasa, maski nasa comfort room ako may bitbit talaga ako na anything na pwede basahin. kayo mga sis, how did you get your love for reading? :)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnt do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

heavensent

• a freelancer, a wondermom, a bookworm, a tv addict and a
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Eric and Sookie
    • my ebook collection:
Re: How did you get your love for reading?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 09:40:15 AM »
ever since bata pa din ako mahilig na din ako magbasa, mga alamat, fairy tales, even yung mga short stories sa english books..

lyn

• "Be true to yourself!"
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Say what's on your mind. ;)
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 01:44:39 PM »
Ako naman started elementary. Reading comic books and mags. Yung mga tagalog, bisaya drama at comedy na comics atska yung mga Archie comics, also yung chinese comics na Lao Fu Zi. I really wasn't into it until I started reading Sweet Valley books, Love Stories, harlequins etc in HS, I was really hook. I have to have a book with me to read, and yes kahit na sa CR ako may bitbit din akong book or any reading materials. He he ;D My vocabulary also improve kasi I also have with me a pocket dictionary para ma search ko yung word na dko alam and as they say the rest is history. :)

As time pass my passion for reading didn't abated. Sabi kasi nila if you'll find your own lovelife daw you'll not read anymore of it kasi you're living it na daw. But hindi eh, iba pa din yung escapism, entertainment or knowledge that you glean sa mga books. And not all books are romance yung genre. So hindi ka talaga mag sasawa. :)
No matter how clever or sophisticated a man may appear, he is merely clay waiting to be shaped by the hand of a superior woman.  It is, however, best not to let him know this.
                                                    -Helena Pennington-

health.gal

• I'm a certified
  • Senior GirlTalker
    • Experimental Blogger
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 02:00:53 PM »
i also started at a young age. way back when i was two years old, they thought marunong na akong magbasa 'coz i could "read" my fairy tale books in front of everyone...yun pala, namemorize ko lang!

then elementary days came the nancy drew and sweet valley fad. i became an addict...every week, i always make it a point to borrow a book from our school library.

high school days...i got hooked up with sidney sheldon. i think i was influenced by my mom and my aunts. i always see them read his books, plus the fact that i was a teenager, i really enjoyed how he describes his "passionate" scenes (lol)

then the rest is history....
"The only person who is educated is the one who has learned how to learn and change." Carl Rogers

Our Wedsite: http://mydreamplanner.blogspot.com/

Romina

• Olivia's (woof!) mommy
  • Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 02:06:23 PM »
me too. i remember reading my mom's liwayway collection. 3-4 years old ako. walang nagturo sakin. i just look at the pages then natuto na ako. my mom and dad encourage me to read alot of books, they would buy me books every day. from fairy tales, to history etc.
Paleolithic lifestyle :)

Heatherette

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 02:08:43 PM »
My mom always told me na nung bata ako, instead na matutulog na, nasa corner ako reading my books. The books I read pa nun were Charlie Brown Encyclopedias haha! Then they will buy me mga Charlie Brown books. During elementary days, encyclopedias lang din binabasa ko pa rin. This time yung Collier's na. Then HS nag-start na ko magbasa ng Sweet Valley High pero hindi ako naging fan so patalon talon lang yung binabasa kong books then hiram lang ako sa friend ko na major collector nung series na yun. I also borrow from friends ng Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Love Stories, etc... Nung nasa 3rd year HS na ko, we were asked to write a book report. I chose Midsummer Night's Dream then dun na nag-start yung love ko for classic novels. Then may phase ako na puro Danielle Steel haha!

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 02:12:31 PM »
When we were kids.. tv watching was very very very controlled and limited.  Our house had over 1thousqm  constructed space, another 1thou+ of gardens.. and haha   1 big tv.. 1 as in 1 lang.  Nagets ng parents ko that idea from Gretchen and Danding Cojuangco who for all their billions also had 1 tv only while their kids were young.  shucks.

So books were the primary source of escape/additional knowledge/vicarious experiences.   And kahit na anong dami buy mo books.. no questions.. we just charged it to our dad's accounts at the bookstores, pirma pirma lang.  All my mom did was to check what books we were buying.. hindi puede Kama Sutra.  shucks.     

babyastig

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 02:21:39 PM »
I started reading tagalog comics. Yun mga horror.  Pag hindi horror, ayoko.  Tapos, takot ako matulog.  Then i stopped reading, kasi wala nang supply from our maids... And na discover ko si Nancy drew sa school.  I finished all the Nancy drew books sa library ng school and at the same time.... kahit bagsak ako sa studies, i never gave up reading...kahit nasira/lumabo na ang mata ko....
Eto lang yun way na para hindi ako malungkot pag sa bahay...i'm an only child kasi.... so, yun mga books ang kasama ko...instead of toys or dolls... katabi ko matulog ang mga libro ko.... tapos, tuloy tuloy na....

byutijunkie

• Senior GirlTalker
  • lover of all things fab!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 08:47:16 PM »

growing up, books were everywhere in our house.  my room nga was even converted to a mini library where my mom's books were put.  we had a lot of encyclopedias and fave ko silang basahin lagi.  my aunt was a librarian too and would bring me books to read.  she introduced me to the classics like little women while my mom introduced me to books like mills and boon, sidney sheldon, etc...because all her books nga were in my room. hehe. hangout ko from elementary to college were my schools' libraries...and how, i love the scent of old books...grabeh. hehe.  now, my husband says he'll build me a library someday...kalat-kalat kasi ang books ko now.  meron sa house ng parents ko, sa house namin and sa office.  now, target ko is to get myself an ebook reader...=)
“The best color in the whole world, is the one that looks good, on you!”
                   --Coco Chanel

phurple0515

• your bitchy, sweety, ironic, down-to-earth (",)
  • Super GirlTalker
  • bitchy sweet (",)
    • La Vie En Rose
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 11:15:54 PM »
Ako, elementary days din.  Sa library sa school namin, me mga Nancy Drew, Enid Blyton books tska SVT.  Don ako nag-start.  I always borrow books there until I got 'hooked'.  Plus the fact na my relatives are all book-lovers so lagi ako me nababasa na books.  I remember nga uso non yong mga pocketbooks na tagalog, my father scolded me na wag daw ganon ang basahin ko.  E takot ako  sa tatay ko, so mas nag-concentrate ako sa english novels/pocketbooks. 

Pero I remember, before schooling, nagbabasa din ako ng mga Liwayway, mga comics sa newspapers...tapos yong mga stories sa books na...
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!"

lyn

• "Be true to yourself!"
  • Super GirlTalker
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 06:14:01 AM »
I remember when we were kids, we would gather around usually I sit on my papa's lap while he read to us a comic magazine or GITIKGITIK portion of the Bisaya Mags. Or read us yung mga children's book, we have box set of it, yung mga jack n jill, humpy dumpy, little red riding hood, 3 little pigs, hansel and gretel, alladin, cinderella, sleeping beauty, peter pan etc. He'll read it to us at night afterwards, he let us read it ourselves. We really took care of our books. The only one who destroy/tear it up is yung kasunod kong kapatid. Sayang nga eh. Our yougest sis wasn't able to enjoy those books.
No matter how clever or sophisticated a man may appear, he is merely clay waiting to be shaped by the hand of a superior woman.  It is, however, best not to let him know this.
                                                    -Helena Pennington-

em.em

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 08:48:29 AM »
wow! buti pa kayo kilala nyo na si Nancy Drew nung bata pa kayo hehe ako kasi hindi eh. pero nung elementary ako, our male teacher read to us yung Dracula and Frankenstein kapag uwian na, mag gather kami sa gilid ng chapel pero usually 3-4 students lang ang nakikinig. my parents never read stories to us, kaya favorite ko yung teacher namin na yun eh. ;D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnt do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

hannabishi

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 12:18:49 AM »
I really think my love for books started when I was 7. The first book I remember reading was a very cool version of Jack and the Beanstalk. It has buttons on the left side which you can click while reading it. I think I've read it more or less 20 times. Then, my Mom bought me fairytale books. I fell in love with Cinderella just like that. Now that book, I've read for more than 50 times for sure. :D I also got hooked with Science books mostly about animals.

On my elementary days, I got the habit of going to our library every afternoon to read all kinds of books. I dunno why but it may be because of my aim to fill my library card. Ha!

Then, on my pre-teen years, I started reading Sweet Valley High. I loved it. My sister has a wide collection of it so I just borrowed from her.

On my HS days, I stopped and got busy with relationships which I really somehow regret.

I just rekindled my love for reading after HS graduation. I used it as a tool to mend my broken heart. Haha! After that, I never stopped. I make it a point to read whenever I can and make time for it whenever I'm busy.

goddessella

• Junior GirlTalker
  • label jars, not people
    • Confessions of an Unapologetic Makeup Junkie
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 06:50:47 AM »
i started really early. i guess it's because i developed reading skills early on in life. i remember my aunts would buy me books pa of the muppets, and sesame street, kahit na 3 pa lang ako or 4y.o...

my grand dad was really patient with me. i think he was the one who really taught me how to read even before school started..

then i think i was 6 or 7 when my aunt would go home with stacks upon stacks of archie comics for me to read. and then, my mom got me a subscription of saranggola children's magazine (i think that was it.. i don't remember the name) i was over the sweet valley fad even before i hit 5th grade (probably because i finished reading everything na by then) i was 9 or 10 when i started stealing my aunts and my mom's pocketbooks. by age 12, not only was my vocabulary quite varied, i was quite fluent in british slangs and sayings (my mom and aunts preferred british authors then).

i would always stay at powerbooks ATC then to read books, and most of my lunch money would go to them. :D
they say i look good. trust me, i taste even better! :D
proudly saying: only belo touches my skin. who touches yours?

http://unapologeticmakeupjunkie.blogspot.com/

geekchiq

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 11:16:57 AM »
unlike most of you, i got hooked up on books when i started working, so kinda "late bloomer". back in elem and HS days, books that I read were mostly for book reviews and that's it. and I admit, my reading comprehension at that time was just so-so. hate everything that had to do with reading stories, and comprehension exams. i would rather read science books and do math problems than read fiction books.

I got my love for reading when I just had nothing good to do with my free time when I started working. I felt like now that I'm away from academic pressure, so what better way to do with it, is to read! (baligtad noH?!?) and when I've changed my work, which has more free time than the previous one, my feelings for books have changed as well. I simply cant live without it. :)

phurple0515

• your bitchy, sweety, ironic, down-to-earth (",)
  • Super GirlTalker
  • bitchy sweet (",)
    • La Vie En Rose
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 08:27:08 AM »
pero bago si Nancy Drew, my first ever book that I owned was "Goldilocks and the Three Bears".  A gift from a relative.  Tapos yon na, everytime nagtatanong sila ng ano ipapabili or ano gusto ko na gift, book agad sinasabi ko :P
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!"

candy_tone

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 11:32:05 PM »
I think i started reading when i was around 8. I've read sweet valley kids, then i moved on to Sweet Valley High Senior Year, Archie Comics, Nancy Drew, Love Stories  so on...  . I just love the smell of new books...  :)

lyn

• "Be true to yourself!"
  • Super GirlTalker
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
^Me naman, I love the smell of old books. ;D
                                                    -Helena Pennington-

Heatherette

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 12:02:29 AM »
Old books din ako lol You can even find me sniff my books. Weird ko daw.

micci

• Super GirlTalker
  • rain or shine..
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 12:12:58 AM »
^me din,i love the smell of old books,yung mga nagye-yellow na yung pages..haha..

i started with sweet valley back in HS..meron nun shop sa min na nagpapa-rent ng pocketbooks ;)
a successful relationship requires falling in love many times.....

...with the same person.
:-*

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
What Would You Do Kung Ikaw ang the Legal Wife?
Would you stay or would you leave?
10 Celebrity Holy Week Destinations
How did these stars spend their long vacays?