Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day SUN 20 APR 14
Light a few candles, bubble up the bathtub, and sink into the wet and steamy with your sweetie. Rub each other down with an aromatic scrub
  • Good House Keeping
    Find your bliss this summer! GH's guide to a calmer, luckier, and happier you. On stands now for only P120.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Real Living
    Real Living’s April 2014 issue is a thing of beauty, literally! The magazine’s Beautiful Homes issue features 43 pages which will inspire you to rethink your own space.
    Real Living
  • Women's Health
    Everything you need to score your hottest, sexiest summer EVER is in the Women’s Health March issue!
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: HAIR CHANGE  (Read 19213 times)

MartyneWiston

• GirlTalker
  • :)
HAIR CHANGE
« on: May 20, 2010, 01:05:17 am »
I edit it a bit? :P Rather, make a thread for any change in your hair.

Style, Color, Treatments, or even give tips..etc. :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 01:16:37 pm by MartyneWiston »
Brave souls makes hard decisions.

ginger123

• Probationary
Re: Official { HAIR . CHANGE } Before & After pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 07:35:12 pm »
Oh this is an interesting topic for a thread  :) I'll be the first to reply then.

WORTH IT?: YES, I love it.

Salon Adress: Corinthian Hills Clubhouse, Temple Drive, Pasig.

Natural Hair type: Fine, Straight, Long, Black

Hair History: dyed 2 times from black: Dark Brown then Light Brown.

Hair color Before: Dark Brown: http://www.flickr.com/photos/44221652@N04/4684453373/

Hair color After: Light Brown : http://www.flickr.com/photos/44221652@N04/4430583891/in/photostream/

Bleach?: Nope

Hair Dye: Hortaleza 8.2 (i think?) Light Havana shade & Oxidizing Lotion 12%

Price: At first I tried at the salon, I forgot how much it cost, I think it was around p3,200? But the at home hair dye? Less than p200! :D Not including the materials I bought like brush, tinting bowl and gloves but those were pretty cheap too. All in all less than p1000.

Changes:

- Damage? None
- Texture change? A bit thicker, but that's a good thing to me because I had very thin hair.

Description: I tried at the salon first cause coloring hair for the first time, it's pretty scary  ;D but the more I got my hair retouched, I started talking to the colorist about, how to do this and that, and the 'science of hair coloring' and tried it at home.

Comments: The only thing I don't like about having a light hair color is sometimes it'll look a bit ginger rather than light brown :|

sunshine8

• Super GirlTalker
    • Me, myself and a Star...
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 12:57:02 am »
WORTH IT?:  Yes
Salon Adress: Tony & Jackey (T.Morato)
Natural Hair type: Wavy
Hair History: Had it Digi-perm before (Same salon)
Hair color Before: 3 years ago!
Hair color After: Brown
Hair Dye: Nope
Price: 5k
Changes: Nice curls
- Damage? No, but cause too much hair fall!
- Texture change? no
Description:
Comments:

Pics @ http://starvillanueva.com/2009/12/03/my-curls-are-back/
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 03:07:56 pm by sunshine8 »

MartyneWiston

• GirlTalker
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 12:11:06 am »
Oh this is an interesting topic for a thread  :) I'll be the first to reply then.

WORTH IT?: YES, I love it.

Salon Adress: Corinthian Hills Clubhouse, Temple Drive, Pasig.

Natural Hair type: Fine, Straight, Long, Black

Hair History: dyed 2 times from black: Dark Brown then Light Brown.

Hair color Before: Dark Brown: http://www.flickr.com/photos/44221652@N04/4684453373/

Hair color After: Light Brown : http://www.flickr.com/photos/44221652@N04/4430583891/in/photostream/

Hair Dye: Hortaleza 8.2 (i think?) Light Havana shade & Oxidizing Lotion 12%

Price: At first I tried at the salon, I forgot how much it cost, I think it was around p3,200? But the at home hair dye? Less than p200! :D Not including the materials I bought like brush, tinting bowl and gloves but those were pretty cheap too. All in all less than p1000.

Changes:

- Damage? None
- Texture change? A bit thicker, but that's a good thing to me because I had very thin hair.

Description: I tried at the salon first cause coloring hair for the first time, it's pretty scary  ;D but the more I got my hair retouched, I started talking to the colorist about, how to do this and that, and the 'science of hair coloring' and tried it at home.

Comments: The only thing I don't like about having a light hair color is sometimes it'll look a bit ginger rather than light brown :|

Thanks for posting. I thought no one will ever post ??? Preettyy, i think this one suits best on you :)  http://www.flickr.com/photos/44221652@N04/4655364476/ How was the process? And how long mo nilagay yung hair dye sa hair, Im planning kasi to let my mom color my hair kasi mahal masyado pag sa salon. Thanks :)

ginger123

• Probationary
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 08:13:40 am »
Thanks for posting. I thought no one will ever post ??? Preettyy, i think this one suits best on you :)  http://www.flickr.com/photos/44221652@N04/4655364476/ How was the process? And how long mo nilagay yung hair dye sa hair, Im planning kasi to let my mom color my hair kasi mahal masyado pag sa salon. Thanks :)

That's the same color as my light brown hair :) it just looks darker because of the lighting and the camera being used doesn't absorb a lot of light :P

The process was pretty simple, I used Hortaleza Hair Dye Cream in 8.2, I'm not sure about the number but the name of the cream is "Light Havana" when you look at the swatch at HBC it's blonde but have no fear :) blonde dye on black hair becomes brown. Then I used a developer LVL 40 12%, I forgot the brand I got, I got it in HBC Greenhills because I was planning to get Hortaleza Oxidizing Lotion 12% but they gave me a different brand (its in a tall white bottle) that said LVL 40 12% because they were out of the Hortaleza brand. But as long as it's 12%, you're good.

Then mix the developer and hair dye together (MUST be the same ratio) till it becomes a paste or at least when there's no more lumps. then apply it evenly on your hair and leave it in for 45 mins then rinse.

Although I suggest you do a strand test first, like mix a little bit of the dye and developer together and dye a strand (a little chunk) and dye that chunk and wait 45 mins then rinse it, it'll change color and if you like the color you see, then continue on with your whole head :)

VERY IMPORTANT REMINDER: DO NOT shampoo your hair before dying, wait around 2 days without washing your hair before dying it because the grease will help the color stick to your hair, and if you shampoo before dying (trust me, from experience) your head will feel like it's on FIRE, then after you wash it out, you'll end up with scabs on your scalp, and when the scabs come off, they'll look like dandruff.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 08:18:14 am by ginger123 »

MartyneWiston

• GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 06:28:07 pm »

That's the same color as my light brown hair :) it just looks darker because of the lighting and the camera being used doesn't absorb a lot of light :P

The process was pretty simple, I used Hortaleza Hair Dye Cream in 8.2, I'm not sure about the number but the name of the cream is "Light Havana" when you look at the swatch at HBC it's blonde but have no fear :) blonde dye on black hair becomes brown. Then I used a developer LVL 40 12%, I forgot the brand I got, I got it in HBC Greenhills because I was planning to get Hortaleza Oxidizing Lotion 12% but they gave me a different brand (its in a tall white bottle) that said LVL 40 12% because they were out of the Hortaleza brand. But as long as it's 12%, you're good.

Then mix the developer and hair dye together (MUST be the same ratio) till it becomes a paste or at least when there's no more lumps. then apply it evenly on your hair and leave it in for 45 mins then rinse.

Although I suggest you do a strand test first, like mix a little bit of the dye and developer together and dye a strand (a little chunk) and dye that chunk and wait 45 mins then rinse it, it'll change color and if you like the color you see, then continue on with your whole head :)

VERY IMPORTANT REMINDER: DO NOT shampoo your hair before dying, wait around 2 days without washing your hair before dying it because the grease will help the color stick to your hair, and if you shampoo before dying (trust me, from experience) your head will feel like it's on FIRE, then after you wash it out, you'll end up with scabs on your scalp, and when the scabs come off, they'll look like dandruff.

Very imformative, And great tips :)) Thanks!!

MartyneWiston

• GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 07:30:10 pm »
WORTH IT?: So-so. ;)

Salon Adress: T&J, Jesi Mendez Salon (Festi & ATC)

Natural Hair type: Coarse, Curly, Long, Original hair color:Dark Brown

Hair History: Dyed: 1st-Dark Brown to Black
                             2nd-Black to Med Brown
                             3rd-Med Brown to Chestnut Brown
                             4th-Chestnut Brown to Dark Brown
                             5th-Dark Brown to Medium Ash Brown. LOL!
                  Rebond: 
                             1st- T&J L'oreal Package
                             2nd- T&J L'oreal with "blessing" Package

Hair color Before:
                 http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs178.snc3/20552_1344953703366_1216966721_30997537_3897655_n.jpg

Hair color After:
                http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs513.ash1/30258_1507887216602_1216966721_31395852_6088660_n.jpg   (rightmost)

Hair Dye: Revlon/Kolours

Price: Sa Jesi Mendez, 2k+
         DIY Kolours -- around php200+ ata?
               Revlon --- around php500?

Changes:

- Damage? Split ends, hair fall
- Texture change? Dry at times. Actually it depends on the hair products that i use. :p

Description:

Comments: Ok, so I think I would settle for being a brunette. Hehe. But i would love to have this kind of hair color. --> http://www.cosmopolitan.com/cm/cosmopolitan/images/NE/leightonhair09-lg.jpg

i like your before hair color :) What did you use? Revlon / Kolours? And yung festi ba dito Jesi Mendez Salon (Festi & ATC) ay festival mall in alabang? Thanks :)

missgoodvibe

• GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 10:09:07 pm »
i like your before hair color :) What did you use? Revlon / Kolours? And yung festi ba dito Jesi Mendez Salon (Festi & ATC) ay festival mall in alabang? Thanks :)

Uhm, yup. Alabang sis. Jesi Mendez - sa may ATC, malapit sa supermarket. ;)

Yes sis, Kolours yang medyo blonde kong hair before. Chestnut Brown. Yan yung result nung medium to chesnut brown. Pinatagal ko ng 45-50 minutes sa hair. :)

DIY yan, mama ko lang naglagay :)

MartyneWiston

• GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 07:14:31 pm »
Uhm, yup. Alabang sis. Jesi Mendez - sa may ATC, malapit sa supermarket. ;)

Yes sis, Kolours yang medyo blonde kong hair before. Chestnut Brown. Yan yung result nung medium to chesnut brown. Pinatagal ko ng 45-50 minutes sa hair. :)

DIY yan, mama ko lang naglagay :)

Ay, an light pala. iba kasi itsura dati dun sa pinaggamitan ko na comp :-\ kakabili ko lang ng kolours dual conditioning med brown, Same ba yon? If 25/30 mins ko ba nilagay sa buhok ko, Medyo mas dark kaya? Worried ako, Yaw ko kasi na masyadong light :(

missgoodvibe

• GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 07:31:11 pm »

Ay, an light pala. iba kasi itsura dati dun sa pinaggamitan ko na comp :-\ kakabili ko lang ng kolours dual conditioning med brown, Same ba yon? If 25/30 mins ko ba nilagay sa buhok ko, Medyo mas dark kaya? Worried ako, Yaw ko kasi na masyadong light :(

Yung med brown? I think lalabas siya as dark brown. Basta close to black.

MartyneWiston

• GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 08:00:55 pm »
Yung med brown? I think lalabas siya as dark brown. Basta close to black.

Thanks :)  Kahit 45-50 mins ilagay sa hair? And, halata kaya na brown, or twing naiilawan lang? Dark brown / brunette color is what im really achiving :)

MartyneWiston

• GirlTalker

missgoodvibe

• GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 09:07:50 pm »
Thanks :)  Kahit 45-50 mins ilagay sa hair? And, halata kaya na brown, or twing naiilawan lang? Dark brown / brunette color is what im really achiving :)

Kapag may sunlight lang halatang may color. :) Ganon kasi ako dati. Hehe.

MartyneWiston

• GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 10:04:33 pm »
Kapag may sunlight lang halatang may color. :) Ganon kasi ako dati. Hehe.

:-[ kahit 1 hr ilagay sa hair? Haayy, edi next time dapat light brown nalang bilhen ko para magshow up?

qt_ben17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 08:55:35 am »
In  professional coloring, stylists actually shampoo client's hair PRIOR to coloring. The reason for this is to  cleanse the hair  and remove build-ups and residues. Those nasty residues are the least thing you want before any chemical process, elsewhere it becomes a sort of barrier making it hard for the chemical to get through the hair's cortex. the same holds true for other processes (ie rebond, perm, highlights)

When applying hair dye, never apply directly to the scalp (unless you are doing a color retouch). Leave at least .5 or 1 inch. When you are done applying on midlengths to ends, process for 10-15 minutes, then that's the time to apply remaining mixture on the roots. process till the max development time, as stated.

If the label says the max development time is 30 minutes, you can extend to another 5 minutes but never beyond that. Otherwise you'll be damaging the hair from all its ammonia and resorcinol content.
eto na naman sila, "mas better" , "pinaka the best"

MartyneWiston

• GirlTalker
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 09:41:24 am »
In  professional coloring, stylists actually shampoo client's hair PRIOR to coloring. The reason for this is to  cleanse the hair  and remove build-ups and residues. Those nasty residues are the least thing you want before any chemical process, elsewhere it becomes a sort of barrier making it hard for the chemical to get through the hair's cortex. the same holds true for other processes (ie rebond, perm, highlights)

When applying hair dye, never apply directly to the scalp (unless you are doing a color retouch). Leave at least .5 or 1 inch. When you are done applying on midlengths to ends, process for 10-15 minutes, then that's the time to apply remaining mixture on the roots. process till the max development time, as stated.

If the label says the max development time is 30 minutes, you can extend to another 5 minutes but never beyond that. Otherwise you'll be damaging the hair from all its ammonia and resorcinol content.

Wow, Thank you :D So, not washing hair for 2 days before dyeing hair was just a myth? And, Do you think the kolours that i bought will show up / twing naiilawan lang? :)

ginger123

• Probationary
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 09:57:16 am »

I'd rather not shampoo before hair coloring :) It really did burn my scalp since my stylist applies it directly on.

qt_ben17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 12:43:16 pm »
not really a myth. i think that protocol was created because it is targeted for nonprofessional consumers.  the rationale for that is, the oils that will be accumulated in your scalp for 2 days will somehow make it less irritating when the chemicals touch it.  lowdown is, oils also accumulate in the hair itself, not just the scalp. so it is somehow a barrier to the penetration of chemicals.  that's why drugstore brands are designed to be HARSHER than the professional  brands, for these to defy all the oils and residues. 

anyway, what's most important is to know the proper way of applying the colorant.  and at the end of the day malalaman mo kung magaling ka magapply if even ang results.  sino ba ang magkakagsuto sa hair color na hindi pantay at patche patche na parang pang doggy? yuck LOL

MartyneWiston

• GirlTalker
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 01:45:00 pm »
not really a myth. i think that protocol was created because it is targeted for nonprofessional consumers.  the rationale for that is, the oils that will be accumulated in your scalp for 2 days will somehow make it less irritating when the chemicals touch it.  lowdown is, oils also accumulate in the hair itself, not just the scalp. so it is somehow a barrier to the penetration of chemicals.  that's why drugstore brands are designed to be HARSHER than the professional  brands, for these to defy all the oils and residues. 

anyway, what's most important is to know the proper way of applying the colorant.  and at the end of the day malalaman mo kung magaling ka magapply if even ang results.  sino ba ang magkakagsuto sa hair color na hindi pantay at patche patche na parang pang doggy? yuck LOL

Edi better di magwash ng hair if drugstore hair dye yung gamit? And, tips naman para even yung pagkalagay ng dye? Salamat :)

qt_ben17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 02:03:09 pm »
regardless if it's a drugstore brand,  apply it the professional way to ensure even results.  make sure you slice hair into thin partitions so that every strand will be thoroughly and uniformly covered.

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
FN's Top 10 SPF Beauty Picks for Summer 2014
These babies are mighty protectors from the sun's harmful UV rays.
5 Ways to Reflect and Meditate When You’re Time-Bound
Whether you have five minutes or five days, a breather from all the deadlines and meetings will do you good.
FNites! What Reminds You of Summer?
Send us a photo and we might feature it on the website!