Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day TUE 30 SEP 14
If you’re going on a hike, put your snacks or trail mix in empty plastic bottles (clean sports drink bottles will work). That way, you can
  • Good House Keeping
    Judy Ann Santos-Agoncillo returns to our cover this September issue and gets candid about money, marriage, and motherhood.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Drop two sizes fast—with simple exercises you can do at home! This month's ultimate weight-loss special shows you how. Plus, real women share how you, too, can shed and keep off excess weight for good.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: How do you handle things at home and work if helper is not around?  (Read 489 times)

mikelly

• Junior GirlTalker
For working woman especially with kids, how do you handle things (home and work) if the helper is not around?

I have been thinking things since my helper is not with us due to family reason. This is not the first time na nawalan kami ng helper and it was very challenging. Hubby and I are working, he is in day job and i am at night. It is a good set-up especially if we dont have a helper but there are times we have to extend at work and that makes conflict in our time at home.

I am thinking to quit my job and have an online work at home just like in outdesk but I also value being in a corporate world as it provides employee benifits that an online job at home cannot offer. that is what i know. also, it is not easy to look for a job nowadays even if you have professional experiences. I honestly dont want to leave being in a corporate world but thinking my kid and home makes me decide to do this. I feel so fed up training new helpers and trying to build trust and all of a sudden they will leave without thinking how difficult I went through just for them to train the right thing at home. I can say we have been a good amo, a considerate one. But i cant and really cannot control things and convince them to stay.
You have the power to make things work.  If you want something, make it happen.

ritznmore

• GirlTalker
If you decide to quit your job, you might regret doing so later on when money is going to be a problem or you don't feel fulfilled enough as a mom.  Even businesswomen have to sacrifice time off of work sometimes, siguro you can ask a non working relative to help out for awhile.

sistah!

• sistah!
  • Super GirlTalker
  • proud mom to four doggies :-)
i am lucky to have a good network, i have my parents to help me watch my kid when i find myself without a yaya (and it has happened a few times already!) and i have to work. we've had to hire "yayas for the day" while waiting for the next one too. of course, i've also had to skip work a couple of times to stay with my kid. my husband has also had to do that.

i suggest you start trying to find a system that will work for your family. kontrata mo na lang muna mga in laws, friends, even trusted neighbors to help you out when you and your hubby cannot be there. ganyan lang din kami. mahirap din kasi mag-quit ng work because like you said, marami talagang benefits ang corporate work. try lang ng try sa yaya and maid. mahirap ang swerte talaga sa kanila. good luck!
arf! arf! woof! woof!

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
Re: How do you handle things at home and work if helper is not around?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 08:16:09 PM »
My sisters bring their kids to  our mom's house, when they have house help problems.
Our old yaya is there to supervise the other helpers of our mom sa pag alaga.

I am just lucky kasi, I can do that too or bring the kids to our office (we have a family room).

But IMO, if talagang  wala ng reliable back-up, a mom must make the right choice: work from home. 

twelvth_goddess

• A certified ZOE-holic and a true blue
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 05:22:54 PM »
My husband and I are both working full time with varying schedules. We've not had a yaya since March, so it's been 5 months.

I'm so over getting upset over yaya issues. I'm actually not actively looking for one anymore, kumbaga, kung may dumating and may mai-refer fine. We get by with help from my mom. My daughter is just turning 4 and she recently started going to school. At first, my goal was to find a replacement before school starts because I couldnt find it in my heart to let my daughter take the school bus alone. Good thing the bus mother is kind and caring naman. Their school also has a very good system when turning over kids to their fetcher. This is our routine:

6am-9am: Work out, cook breakfast, prep school snacks, prep her for school, prep for work
130pm: My daughter comes home from school and my mom looks after her
5pm: My husband comes home from work; he and my daughter will have dinner, he'll give her a bath and prep her things for the following day
9pm: I'll get home from work and I'll check if everything is prepared

Nakakapagod and stressful din pero parang mas ok na saken to kesa may helper nga ko na binabayaran pero wala naman pakinabang. Gagastusan ko na, mabu-bwisit pa ko. The most important thing for me is that one of us is there in the morning and at night to bathe her and spend time with her.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:25:41 PM by twelvth_goddess »
Whatever I want, I get. If I can't, I don't stop TRYING.

ana3173

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 03:04:47 PM »
ako nga sis napilitan akong kumilos kahit ceasarian ako, kailangan eh, matatambakan ako ng gawain, pray ko lagi na wag sana ako mabinat o magkasakit. kailangan tulungan ko si hubby sa pagasikaso sa mga anak namin kahit kapapanganak ko pa lang, time mangement [textspeak!] talaga mahirap pero nakakachallenge din. di all the time may maasahan tayong katulong. kaya yung mga anak ko na malalaki na tinutulungan ako sa gawain bahay nung mawalan kami ng kasama, maganda rin yung ganito para natututo sila sa mga gawaing bahay

khriseeee

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 10:38:34 AM »
Freezer meals / delivery
Laundry service
Borrow my mom's maid for 1x a week cleaning

I haven't had both HH and yaya out at the same time so I'm pretty fortunate, however when there's only one around, I either look after my daughter or do the cooking while the one left does cleaning.

If ever both would be gone for an extended period of time - I'll either borrow my mom's maid or send my daughter to my mom.

paulfranc

• GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 09:53:05 PM »
sana may makapag refer dito na pwedeng maglinis sa bahay kahit 2x  a week. parang sa states. cleaning lady kumbaga.

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.