Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day FRI 25 APR 14
Encourage team work by building good relationships with your co-workers. A team that works well together progresses together.
  • Good House Keeping
    Find your bliss this summer! GH's guide to a calmer, luckier, and happier you. On stands now for only P120.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Real Living
    Real Living’s April 2014 issue is a thing of beauty, literally! The magazine’s Beautiful Homes issue features 43 pages which will inspire you to rethink your own space.
    Real Living
  • Women's Health
    Everything you need to score your hottest, sexiest summer EVER is in the Women’s Health March issue!
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Landcaping ideas on a budget  (Read 28281 times)

happy_pomelo

• Senior GirlTalker
Landcaping ideas on a budget
« on: March 22, 2010, 05:08:16 PM »
Hi people!

We recently moved to our new house and we're still recovering from the expenses.

Least of our priority is the rear lot (200 sq. m.) and it's a mess. The idea is to have additional 2-car garage with roof (to also serve as multi-purpose covered area) and a garden. I don't know where to start as I've been told it would probably take about P100k plus for this project.  I'm hoping my 14 month old baby could have a place to frolic and play.  I actually intended to celebrate her first birthday last January at home na kaso di pa tapos ang bahay nun.  But looking at this mess, hindi talaga pwede.  :'(

Hopefully pati ang front area and sides eh maayos din.

We already have the lanai and some garden sets/picnic tables and benches to start with. We also have a mango tree (and other fruit-bearing trees) and I want a sort of batibot around it.

I'd welcome any ideas from everyone.

Here are the photos:

View from the lanai:

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx78/happy__photos/Home%20photos/DSC00948.jpg

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx78/happy__photos/Home%20photos/DSC00952.jpg

View from the rear gate:

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx78/happy__photos/Home%20photos/DSC00953.jpg

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx78/happy__photos/Home%20photos/DSC00955.jpg

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx78/happy__photos/Home%20photos/DSC00957.jpg

Side ng bahay:

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx78/happy__photos/Home%20photos/DSC00959.jpg

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx78/happy__photos/Home%20photos/DSC00962.jpg

Lanai:

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx78/happy__photos/Home%20photos/DSC00960.jpg

mommy_cynch

Re: Landcaping ideas on a budget
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 10:01:37 PM »
I highly recommend you get a landscape contractor talaga, sayang naman kung basta basta lang ang landscape, ang ganda pa naman ng house mo.... if you want, i could recommend my contractor. medyo flexible naman sila sa pricing.... tapos napapakiusapan pa anytime na kelangan mo ng trabahador kahit di related sa landscaping or kung may gusto ka ipaayos....

happy_pomelo

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 06:47:36 AM »
Thanks for taking time out to visit this thread and reply to my post.

Sige mommy_cynch, pa-PM ng contact details ng contractor mo. I truly appreciate it.  I'll scout din naman later on.  By the way, project is in Las Pinas ha.

By the way, I think you got a great deal sa house (and lot?) mo.  The lot area is huge and for P2.6M, it's really a steal.  Tiyagaan lang talaga sa paghahanap, and dapat hindi minamadali. :)  Keep us posted with your (and your son's) gardening. :)

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 01:40:50 PM by happy_pomelo »

mommy_cynch

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 02:50:19 PM »
Yup house and lot na sya, lot area is 412 sqm and floor area of the house is 300 sqm (3 storeys kasi), around 100 sqm lang na occupy sa lot kaya laki ng garden ko. May maliit pa na structure sa gilid na pinaparent ko (iba ang entrance gate)...

I'll PM the contact details of my landscape contractor.... laguna based sila kaya ok lang las pinas....

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 04:43:56 PM »
Congratz!  Pretty house.   IMO, you will spend more than P100thou to have it landscaped.

Mind the drainage, and the lighting lay out... very expensive to re-do those things.

When you consider landscaping.. find a way to camouflage your water tank. 
Also, what is that big structure to the left of your area when facing the rear of your house?  Yours or your neighbor's?  Treat that too parang hindi eyesore.  If yours,  the easiest thing to do if you aren't gonna demolish it is to let ivy creep all over it.. parang wherever you look later on, it is "green"     Wait a month or so before you go into actual landscaping works.. too hot now.

You gonna put in a pool? 
Have some water feature .. it will make your garden more interesting.

happy_pomelo

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 01:12:29 AM »
Thanks Aquacharly!

That's what I've been told, allot more than P100k for landscaping, with truckloads of garden soil as one of the requirements. Eeeeek!  That's why I'm researching the best suppliers, meaning pinakamura.  For now, I'm working on a lesser budget.

That structure you're referring to is actually our wall.  This backyard used to be the extension of our old house which we had demolished.  Hence, you'll notice the irregularly shaped walls.  And I agree, medyo eyesore sya and had to be "downlighted" as with the water tank and pressure tank housing.  A pool might be too hard to maintain.  Small household lang kami Aquacharly, and we have very few relatives to invite over. :)

We'll start the landscaping towards the end of May, nearing the rainy season.  I hope.  (Our weather now is so unpredictable!).  My contractor also just finished his house and had his front yard landscaped - poor plants namatay sa sobrang init!  :-\

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 10:02:42 AM »
There is a Game Plan you can start off with now.

Get a landscape architect to draw up a plan for you.  Do not get a contractor's plan... dyan ma isahan ka kasi they maximize their sales so kahit na hindi kailangan or will not survive in your yard due to the orientation and existing adjacent properties... saksak lang ng saksak and you will end up with ugly plants n 6 months.

Or, better still, if you have friends with gardens you like -- who will let you busisi their gardens -- go and look these over.  Take pictures, specially mind the practical details... like drainage, lighting, etc.  That way you can give the landscape architect a better idea of what you want. 

The blueprint is worth the PF you pay for.   It is complete ha... from drainage to lighting to the kind of plants (including height of plants and no. of plants) you will put in.   elevations too are included, lahat.. as in, puede mo na implement in stages.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:24:41 AM by aquacharly »

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 10:30:30 AM »
This hot season, you can start with the garden base... soil additions, placement, finalization of elevations, etc.. including of course the drainage and electrical lay outs.

Tapos lagyan mo na ng grass.  Like golf course grass, it will thrive in this hot weather... Basta you have it drenched dilig before 830AM;  and then again in the afternoon... pagnaka singaw na the heat.  Do not water in the afternoon while mainit pa or the grass feels hot to the touch.   

Just those works will give you a lot of return per peso investment.  It is gonna be a big deal for you all to  have that wide green expanse.  Saka mo na utay utayin the rest of the plants.

I forgot... have metal works fabricated to encase the water tank... you can ask your landscape architect what to do about it.  Or, kaya mo yan...  just think it out including the practical considerations required for cleaning and maintenance.   I have seen some tanks encased in trellis like metal works tapos pinagapangan nang creeping plants. 

Work on it soonest coz well,  the experts say that in terms of per peso investment, it is the garden that gives the best bang per buck.   :)
Yours has the added advantage of space/size.  Open space is the new luxury feature nowadays, remember that.   :)

happy_pomelo

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 10:53:14 PM »
^ I didn't know that landscaping entails this much work but holds that much return! And I thought makapahinga muna ako after the construction.

Thanks for all your inputs Aquacharly! Di lang pang interior (home management), pang exterior pa! LOL!

I actually wanted a space where we can hold my daughter's first birthday party last January but during that time construction was still on going.  So we had to forego the party-party and settled for a simple family meal lang.  I've lowered my standards na, I'm just looking forward to put to use our old garden sets and picnic tables. :)

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 12:19:39 AM »
 :)    Do not lower your standards...  put it this way:  Timing Timing lang yan lahat. 

ms_kitkat

• GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 12:05:20 PM »
mga sisses, pa-share naman the contact details of your landscape contractors/artists.

thanks po!

happy_pomelo

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 11:43:29 PM »
^This is an ongoing project for me.  I'll give feedback (supplier and designer - buzzkill, as you recommended) as soon as we've finished. :)

lovemyself

• Senior GirlTalker
  • so happy now...
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 05:26:52 AM »
kaylangan talaga ng landscaping contractor?! i mean hindi ba pwede lets say meron mahilig mag gardening sa family eh sya nalang? hehe. i mean with the drainage and the lighting, is it really that complicated?

btw, parang magandang may swing sa ilalim ng puno mo sis :) masarap magstay dun :)
...Be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.-Desiderata

happy_pomelo

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 05:37:39 AM »
^I came across a Sulit ad for a 9-seater swing for P50,000.00!!!  Oh my!

I guess the requirements would depend on the scale of the project.

lovemyself

• Senior GirlTalker
  • so happy now...
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 07:24:31 PM »
^haha! that's almost half the cost of your entire landscaping! hehe. for me ok na yung 2 seater na made of wood. sweet and romantic ang dating :)
...Be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.-Desiderata

mommy_cynch

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 05:12:26 PM »
ms_kitkat: my landscape contractors are:  Eugene, Mang Pabs and Chito. They worked as a team. Their contract numbers are:

Eugene - 09175119850
Mang Pabs - 09193733218
Chito - 09178240602

Mababait sila and they will help you maintain the garden even after matapos ang landscaping...

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 08:46:41 PM »
kaylangan talaga ng landscaping contractor?! i mean hindi ba pwede lets say meron mahilig mag gardening sa family eh sya nalang? hehe. i mean with the drainage and the lighting, is it really that complicated?

btw, parang magandang may swing sa ilalim ng puno mo sis :) masarap magstay dun :)

If you have a family member who is a rabid or dedicated gardener willing to pour time and effort into it all... suerte mo.
   But let us put it this way... my [textspeak!] at one time was so engrossed in gardening... he did a SIL's garden, and accdg to my SIL  nakakainip kasi hindi puede rush her dad,  hindi puedeng pintasan or magreklamo ... etc.. and since her dad brought over his also aging gardneers... hindi nya matulak to work faster.   

Lighting and drainage can be nonexistent or just pa oido oido ...but ...
     It is good to have a good plan to start with, and expert advice.  You can implement in stages, timing timing nga...  It is gonna be wasteful if after time and money spent,  you are not satisfied with your garden.

For people with garden areas... keep in mind that you have an advantage over most people now.   So make the most of that asset.

happy_pomelo

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 05:02:27 AM »
Mommy_cynch,

How much is the daily rate for your contractors?  Although I'm done with the first half of my project, I'd like to compare rates sana for the next half.

TIA!

mommy_cynch

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 05:32:24 AM »
Pakyaw sila. Although with the maintenance, electrical needs, they provide me with workers (300-350 per day). medyo napapagastos lang ako kasi if wala silang lakad papuntang manila, ako ang sasagot ng fare from laguna to pasig... ngayon, may pumupunta na lang na tao nila 2x a month to maintain the garden.

msals2007

• Senior GirlTalker
    • http://www.myshmyshoppinghaven.multiply.com
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 03:41:45 PM »
Wow sis ganda naman ng house mo and sobrang laki ng space for the garden. Parang naiimagine ko na pag okay na landscaping mo, ang ganda ganda siguro lalo na ang laki ng space.

I also want to have a beautiful, big garden of our own kaya lang mahal kasi ng lote eh kaya maliit lang space namin for the garden. Plan ko din before mag palandscape kaya lang medyo naging tight ang budget kasi nagpagawa nga kami ng bahay. Buti na lang mahilig mag gardening ang mother ko so madami na kaming plants ngayon. Yun nga lang hindi kasing ganda ng mga landscaped garden. Saka mga halaman naming may papaya, malunggay, oregano, etc, hindi yung usual na ornamental plants that I see in gardens. Plan ko mag add ng mga flowering plants hopefully this month. Tapos may medyo malaking vacant space pa kami na medyo mabato kaya gusto kong lagyan ng grass. Start ko project ko this month. Ano kayang magandang grass for the garden?

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
What Would You Do Kung Ikaw ang the Legal Wife?
Would you stay or would you leave?
10 Signs You Need a Diet Makeover
When your body talks, you need to listen.
10 Celebrity Holy Week Destinations
How did these stars spend their long vacays?
Be The Fairest of Them All: 5 Ways You Can Get Whiter Underarms
Discover the power of these whitening solutions for yourself!