Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day FRI 31 OCT 14
Having trouble staying true to yourself? Spend time with your loved ones to remind yourself of who you are--after all, they know you best.
  • Good House Keeping
    Judy Ann Santos-Agoncillo returns to our cover this September issue and gets candid about money, marriage, and motherhood.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Drop two sizes fast—with simple exercises you can do at home! This month's ultimate weight-loss special shows you how. Plus, real women share how you, too, can shed and keep off excess weight for good.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Describe your book collection  (Read 10806 times)

a.k.a. HELGA

• Senior GirlTalker
Re: Describe your book collection
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2011, 08:39:58 PM »

Over 300 i think. Before I use to put numbers in it. Arranging like in a library, with a catalogue (kulang na lang ang Dewey Decimal System) haha. But I stopped after 100.  Tinamad. My book collection reflects how I grow old thru the years. Starting from children books, YA, then Adult fictions.
The Boy with the cornflower hair. Me beloved and my despair.

pretty_in_victorian

• makeup & beauty junkie
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • NICU nurse; potterhead; hello kitty addict
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2011, 04:21:59 PM »
my book shelf is a mixture of children's books (the ones i really love and can't part with), comics (archie comic book collection), novels when i was a teen (SVH, Gossip girl, etc), harry potter series, twilight series, self help books, cook books, classics, beauty books, and romance novels.
I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little if only out of politeness. And then,you never know,maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny. -Coco Chanel

septembernine

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2011, 05:59:29 PM »
lots of psychological and crime thriller! :D jonathan kellerman, patricia cornwell, jeffrey deaver, thomas harris... i think i have a few non-fiction books about serial killers.
-F2A: PD Mar 2010

felicityinlove

• GirlTalker
  • waiting for that day to come...
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2011, 11:59:49 AM »
I don't even know exactly how many books I have though I can say that I have a huge collection of both fiction and non-fiction books that has accumulated over the years.  I have been reading and collecting books since grade school so I have a wide range from Sweet Valley Twins to Nicholas Sparks books. Plus I have a roomful of text books as I used to teach many different subjects to both elementary pupils and high school students for 9 years.
If it is meant to be, it will be...

Myealexis21

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2011, 01:02:16 PM »
I don't have that much books kase when I was younger I usually borrow the books from the library and from a friend who has tons of books.  And most of the time kase la akong money to buy them hehe nanghihinayang ako so I buy other things na mas kelangan ko.  If I do buy books, naalala ko sa Booksale ako bumibili lalo na yung Mary Higgins Clark na super addicted ako before.  Then yung iba bigay lang sa kin.  So probably it's less than 50 books lang. 

Some day when I have a house of my own I want to have a mini library din but I just don't know if I will buy books now or wait for later...kase naman hassle dahil nasa abroad ako.  Dagdag bagahe pa kasi if I decide to go back to Pinas.
Trapped in between yesterday and forever

lilac

• Junior GirlTalker
    • Leather Designs
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2011, 09:46:51 PM »
I used to buy lots and lots of fiction books. When I got married, I left almost all of them at my parents'. Also, when discovered ebooks, I stopped buying fiction na. I have trimmed my collection down to 140 books as of now, most are beginner cookbooks and a few makeup books.

muahmuahmuah

• There is no price for Awesomeness! Amp'd Up
  • Super GirlTalker
  • dam it your clothes! punk the devil
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2011, 01:01:40 AM »
my books live in different places hehe so my collection is scattered. i do have a filled up bookshelf less than a hundred lang siguro yun or close to meron din ako bookshelf with all my kiddie books na puro choose your own and fabulous five yun siguro more than a hundred i give some away kasi or sell. range of books easier to put what i don't really buy or rarely read those include romance novels, sci fi or chicklit anything else i purchase. may iba rin kasi you can get online so i have my nook to to fill-up dun marami ako books.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection. The Lovers, the Dreamers, and Me.

I am a catch, and I am not going to be the one to get away.

You should never settle for who you are.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

swim_fatale

• Basta swimmer sweet lover na
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • Girls who behave don't make history.
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2011, 08:02:35 PM »
Sophie Kinsella
Lauren Conrad
Gossip Girl series
The Clique series
Jodi Picoult
The Twilight Saga
Love in the time of cholera
The Devil wears Prada
Erich Segal

Classics:
Madame Bovary
The Scarlet Letter
Lady Chatterley's Lover
Anna Karenina

Various linguistics books (specifically those on Psycholinguistics and Bilingualism)

*I read books to de-stress so I don't even pretend to read intellectual ones. HAHA.
The grass is always greener on MY side.

barefoot_taka

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2011, 09:31:13 AM »
varied.
i have lots and lots of books. i curtailed bookbuying when i got married. but lately i've been buying books left and right na naman.  i don't know how many books i have. i even have unread books. minsan i'd be pleasantly surprised to find a book in our house na di ko pa nababasa. pakalat-kalat kasi ang mga libro ko.  ;)

biancameister

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2011, 04:42:16 AM »
I read books from different genres. My books range from Children's to Young Adult to Fantasy to Bob Ong (hehe!) to Crime/Mystery to Non-fiction to Classics to Programming and Technology books (I majored in Computer Science). I don't have a lot of books now as I sold and donated quite a few of them before. I only keep the ones I really liked so with that, I probably have about 80 books. I try not to buy a lot of books because I have a habit of buying and not reading them. I tend to borrow books from the library when I have about 10+ new books at home waiting for me. HAHAHA!

Se7en8ight

• Pitch-Blacksheep ;)
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2011, 02:35:21 PM »
I think I have about 200 only. Most of the books I own are coffee table books, art books, fiction, children's books. :) My taste is very eccentric quite honestly.
"I'm not a genius. I'm just a tremendous bundle of experience."-R.Buckminster Fuller

scrapbookjunkie

• Senior GirlTalker
  • I am a potential grown-up.
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2012, 10:18:18 AM »
mostly children's books.  i collect newberry awardee and honor books. sarap basahin at ulit- ulitin!  nag cocollect din ako ng mga tv-movie tie in books. so far, meron na akong friends (official books!), seinfed, frasier and almost famous scripts, ally mcbeal, will and grace, the simpsons, titanic (may nagbigay), milk ad compilation book, sabrina the teenage witch, at madami pa iba. latest find ko yung castle book, may 1 na ako sa novel ni richard castle, 2 more! am looking for a dawson's creek and the sex and the city official books. hirap maghanap!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 10:23:24 AM by scrapbookjunkie »
Don't judge me by my relatives.

k_heart

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2012, 11:15:34 AM »
More than a thousand since i started reading when i was in kinder and  my mom loves to buy me books, and im old now kaya sobrang dami na.ha!ha! meron sa book cases (multi-levels) and some sa plastic boxes.
My kiddies has now discovered my Childrens book and archie Collections. 

oktoberfest22

• Aggrieved.
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2012, 02:25:43 PM »
^wow, nakakatuwa naman, sis, intact pa books mo from your youth!
Ako ang intact na lang yung mga naipon ko since after graduating from college kasi palipat-lipat kami. Tapos we lived abroad briefly din so ipinamigay na yung mga books namin nung bata pa kami.

My collection is very eclectic: madaming thriller, suspense (Stephen King, Grisham, Dan Brown, Crichton), Latin American magic realism, philosophical, humor (Robert Fulghum, David Sedaris, Erma Bombeck), Chick Lit (Sophie kinsella etc), Young Adult books (Lois Lowry etc), and of course a lot of Filipino authors - Jessica Zafra, Bob Ong, Danton Remoto, etc. etc. pati Phil. Chick Lit published by Summit, which are surprisingly good IMO kahit na di masyadong naa-appreciate sa literary circles.

I also have  a lot of Calvin & Hobbes & Dilbert.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:27:12 PM by oktoberfest22 »
Be careful. Big Brother is watching...

k_heart

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2012, 04:39:11 PM »
^he!he!he! Oo sis, katulong ko kasi ang mom ko sa pagtatabi at pag- aayos ng mga books ko. Book-lover din kasi ang mom ko. Ako din, i read almost everything. Pero syempre loves ko mga best-sellers.Hindi ako high-brow sa books, pang masa ako.he!he! ang mga na-complete ko na books ay yung kina Sidney Sheldon, Jude Devereaux,Judith Mac Naught, Julie Garwood, Dan Brown (although hates ko yang mga Digital Fortress nya) majority ng kay John Grisham, the shopaholic series, Harry Potter series, Narnia series, even ang Twilight series pinatulan ko,ha!ha!

oktoberfest22

• Aggrieved.
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2012, 05:31:20 PM »
Ha ha! ako rin, pagdating sa books, keri lahat! Kaso sa Twilight series yung una lang talaga ang kinaya ko. Siguro kung bata-bata pa ko, keri pa. Kasi dati super dami kong nabasang Sweet Dreams at Sweet Valley high.  ;D Harry Potter series, I also loved.

I forgot to add: I have a ton of Anne Rice books! I love the Vampire series. Even yung mga erotica nya published under a pseudonym, meron ako...hirap lang nga hanapin. 

k_heart

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2012, 05:51:56 PM »
^We'll sis, i actually hate the Twilight Films, mas carry ko pa si books. Wala akong pinanonood kahit isa sa moviehouse. At di ako nagagandahan sa bidang babae. sino nga sya?ha!ha! Ayan, napaghahalata ang age ko.

May mga nabasa din akong mga  Anne Rice at Stephen King, pero depende sa books, hindi lahat. Medyo may pagka-weird na for my taste yung ibang Stephen King books.

I also love Sweet Dreams, Sweet Valley High, Nancy Drew Books when i was in high school and  Bobbsey  Twins in grade school. he!he!
Ano pseudonym ni Anne Rice?

oktoberfest22

• Aggrieved.
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2012, 10:38:36 PM »
^She uses two pseudonyms -- A. N. Roquelaure and Anne Rampling -- for her erotic novels. Parang wala akong nakikita sa mga bookstores dito. I bought mine online and sa mga 2nd hand book shops sa UP Diliman.

geekchiq

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2012, 11:01:25 PM »
My hubby and I are both book lovers but of different genre. His collection includes Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, and a lot of graphic novels. Mine naman, more on young adult, including Twilight series. :P But I also have Paulo Colelho. I even read some of my hubby's graphic novels. Even though am on maternity leave for months na and have lot of free time, medyo bumaba yung attention span ko, and I haven't finished a single book yet.

Lady Blue

• An insane, amoral, and insensitive geek
  • GirlTalker
  • and very PROUD of it! :D
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2012, 04:55:56 PM »

1. Physical books, I have over a thousand. And these are just recent buys. Karamihan kasi ng collection ko ay nasira nung masunugan kami in 2002. I don't put them in a bookshelf. I just stack them against the wall. Actually a picture of me with the books in the background is what attracted my boyfriend to me.

E-books, I have over 22,000 books. Thanks to my geek/hacker/cracker boyfriend :D I have fictions, non-fictions, text books and every book I can think of. We use Calibre to manage them.
I have the complete bibliography of my favorite authors like Robert A. Heinlein, Piers Anthony, JRR Tolkien, Dean Koontz, Stephen King,etc. And yes, I love science fiction. I have books on almost every topic. Name it and I may have it. :D

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.