Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day MON 24 NOV 14
Have a loved one with cancer? Remind him that he's not alone by spending time with him and doing things that make him smile (e.g., watch
  • Good House Keeping
    The New Mrs. Pitt, Angelina Jolie, is on the cover of the November issue of Good Housekeeping!
    Good Housekeeping
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Describe your book collection  (Read 10898 times)

tabbru

• Junior GirlTalker
Describe your book collection
« on: January 24, 2010, 12:43:34 AM »
1. How many books do you have? What kinds of books?
2. Where do you put these books?

I've got more than a thousand books, 95% of which are non-fiction. Naipon ko noong college pa ako at noong academic pa ang work ko. I have book shelves pero hindi enough kaya nasa balikbayan boxes [textspeak!] iba. I'm planning to build my personal library (as in a library room) when I have my own house na.

Kayo po ba?
I shop, therefore I am.

thereluctantstylista

• dreaming of faraway places
    • The Reluctant Stylista
Re: Describe your book collection
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 11:24:46 PM »
1. I'm guessing around...hmmm...a little less than a thousand.  Truth is, though I'm a major bookworm, maybe about half of what I've read, I read it inside a library, or borrowed them.  So my own collection isn't that big.  When I was a kid, I read mostly classics.  When I got older, I just can't plow through classics anymore, I'll just get sleepy.  I also went through an Amy Tan and Anne Rice phase in high school. In college, I started digging Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett and Banana Yoshimoto.  I'm currently reading Diana Wynne Jones books, and enjoying them thoroughly.  I also just finished Belle du Jour (life of a london call girl--there are so many quotables!)

2. Like you, I'm dreaming of my own library when I get my own house.  I'm renting out a condo but my books are mostly at my parents' house, and I just take a couple with me when I go back to my own place. I'm forever saying I should get shelves because in my bedroom at my parents' house, the towers of books by my bedside are hazardous. xD  Our helpers have just about given up rearranging them since I always get more than a couple then put them beside my pillow after reading (and I love to reread my favorite books to death).
http://www.reluctantstylista.com
Latest blog post: Lush, natural looking lashes, FINALLY from Philippines first eyelash salon: http://bit.ly/Jk77ze

Heatherette

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:35:24 PM »
1. I have a little over 700 books. Halo halo na. For school books naman mga around 50-60 ata.

2. I have a huge bookshelf pero sadly di sila kasya lahat so some have to be placed on top of the bookshelf. I always wanted a mini library para ma-showcased ko naman lahat ng book collections ko. I even made book tags para ilagay sa likod niya (like what librarians do) pag nagka-library na ko. Naka-encode na rin sa computer ko yung titles and authors and all. The only solution I can find for some of my books yung floating bookshelf.

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 01:13:38 AM »
I make it a point to keep only max 50 books at any time.
These are the hardbound coffee table books -- usually art books and books of places/sites we love to travel to.

Pocketbooks and all others... I give away as soon as I am done with these.  I believe in spreading the joy of reading.  :)

thereluctantstylista

• dreaming of faraway places
    • The Reluctant Stylista
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 05:53:35 PM »
Pocketbooks and all others... I give away as soon as I am done with these.  I believe in spreading the joy of reading.  :)

I wish I could be that nice!  I want to have a huge library where people can borrow from it or read it there comfortably, but I can't bear to part with my books. Sulit sya ng investment sakin kasi I reread to death. Just last month nung Christmas vacation, binasa ko nga lahat ng Sweet Valley ko ulit eh, just for kicks, haha!
http://www.reluctantstylista.com
Latest blog post: Lush, natural looking lashes, FINALLY from Philippines first eyelash salon: http://bit.ly/Jk77ze

babyastig

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 10:55:40 AM »
Definitely less than a thousand.....
The books i have ranges from crime and suspense, selected few romance, young adults, kids adventures, comics (archies, calvin and hobbes stuff) some best seller( ludlum, flynn)
I don't dream of having a library room...but, i want my books to serve as the backdrop/focal point of the room..
But most of them, nasa multi box... due to lack of space.

gnela_21

• music loving, book reading
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 03:33:52 AM »
This is a great topic!

1. How many books do you have? What kinds of books?
I'm not sure kung ilan, but definitely not in the thousands. Most are fiction books that I've collected since childhood. I've started collecting SV series, Baby Sitters Club, Sweet Dreams, Love Stories, Making Out.

Then in college, I got hooked on romance. Judith McNaught, Jude Deveraux, Sandra Brown. And then the bestsellers: Harry Potter (JK Rowling), Dan Brown, Sidney Sheldon, James Patterson and Nicholas Sparks. Then I had a phase with chic lits: Sophie Kinsella, Jane Green, Jennifer Weiner, Cecilia Ahern etc.

2. Where do you put these books?
Unfortunately, binaha yung mga unang libro ko. :( I tried to save them kaso pumangit na sila. I just placed those in a box. As for the newer ones, it was placed on a bookshelf in my room. Kelangan na dagdagan ng space kasi patong-patong na sila, hindi ko na makita yung mga names ng author. I actually left all of them when I went overseas.

I just brought the Twilight series with me since yun ang hindi ko pa nababasa that time (early 2008). But since I've been here, I seldom buy books since books can be borrowed at the libraries. Those na super maganda, then I buy my own copy. I'm slowly building my collection again here.  ;)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:23:22 AM by gnela_21 »
remind me that we'll always have each other when everything else is gone.

sassyme

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 02:53:32 PM »
i'm guessing i have less than 300. i used to hate buying books when i have not read everything i already had. but that was before! i realized it's better to grab the opportunity when bookstores go on sale. plus my list of to-buy books is forever growing!

most of my books are historical fictions, classics, mafia stories, crime/ mystery/ suspense. i own maybe 3-5 chick lits and no self-help book.  :P

my friends/ housemates collect books as well so what they have i don't buy anymore. unless it's something i really, really like!
you know you love me.. xoxo :*

lelaina17

• GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 03:04:55 PM »
i have a lot of books.  aside from my law books, i also collect fiction like those by jodi picoult.  she's my fave author in the whole world.  her books are well-written and well-researched.  ang gaganda pa ng plot.  books written by khaled hosseini are good din.  they tend to tug at your heartstrings, not necessarily about love, more on friendship pero okay talaga. :)  i want to have my own library, too.  but since i'm still living with my parents, sa book shelf sa room ko muna sila nakalagay. :D
there now, steady love, so few come and don't go
will you, won't you be the one i'll always know
when i'm losing my control the city spins around
you're the only one who knows, you slow it down

katie_21

• Senior GirlTalker
  • i love andrei
    • http://iloveandrei.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 01:24:42 PM »
I have a lot of books rin im a bookworm too I usually collect Fiction & Non-Fiction some Chicklits, Classic and Young Adults. I love to have a library in the Future but right now all my books are in bookshelves and some nasa multi box due to lack of shelves space.
I let the peace of God rule my heart and I refuse to worry about anything.

pomegranate

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 11:43:39 PM »
I have probably a thousand, more or less since I'm also in the academe and I forever love studying and reading or just collecting. I'm a pack rat when it comes to books. I can't bear to part with them har har neurotic.

Same tayo thereluctantstylista, I also re-read my books when I have the time (which hasn't been the case for 2 years now). I love the feeling of gaining a different perspective out of the very same book that I read years ago. It's like deja vu but ala love is sweeter the second time around.

As of now, they are ahmmm everywhere. I don't have the time or even a space to organize them the grand way (i.e. mini-library style with Dewey Decimal System pa  ;D) but for now, I just love the way they are stacked up in the nooks and crannies along with some of my mother's collection of porcelain figurines.

come_undone

• Probationary
  • such a saint, but such a whore
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 02:40:29 AM »
i have lots of books din...hindi naman siguro thousand. i probably have bought a thousand books already, but only keep around 300. yung iba hindi na bumabalik pag may humihiram and yung iba pinapauwi ko sa province kasi wala na ko mapaglagyan.

i love my books pero minsan naguiguilty ako kasi naka-stack lang sya sa shelf o box. i want to share them, or sell them then donate  the proceeds to charity...pero parang hindi ko pa kaya at super sarap ng feeling when i see my book collection!

angel_eyes_2nite

• Living the Happily Ever After
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Carpe de Diem!
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 01:59:35 AM »
I have more than 500 books as of the moment. Since I have 2 young energetic boys...I already sold some of my books which were part of my teenage years like the SV series and the Nance Drew books and the likes.  My current book collections are a wide variety of genre from chic lits to suspense to paranormal romances. I have a list of all these books and of my ebooks as well but I haven't gotten to the point of labeling these books "library style".

I have bookshelves at home which line the hallways in the second floor. But when my family moves to our new home by June, my bookshelves will be placed inside the playroom of my kids.
Life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away!

kneekee

• Junior GirlTalker
  • Lovin' life. <3
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 08:06:56 PM »
I started my love affair with books recently lang kaya hindi pa mashado madami yung nasa collection ko and busy rin kaya un. Most of the books that I have Non-fiction. Usually ang mga binabasa ko yung may high recos para hindi sayang pagbili ko. Might try reading self-help books this time, for a change. Madami din ako Dental books since I'm taking up Dentistry I try to have all the references.

Kulang na yung space sa bookshelves ko kaya I need mooore. I'm planning to have a new one assembled before june.

Girls do not dress for boys. They dress for themselves. If girls dressed for boys, they'd just walk around naked at all times." - Betsey Johnson

lyn

• "Be true to yourself!"
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Say what's on your mind. ;)
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 10:32:26 AM »
I have a lot of book collection too, most of them are still in the PI in my room. I guess we're the same mga thousands din. Yung closet ko na para sa clothes, are filled with books, lots of stacks of books.(I put my clothes in the outside closet we have at home) I installed shelves to stacks my books. My book collection are mostly fiction there are some Archies comic books but most of them are romance/historical romance/contemporary romance: Sweet Valley Kids, Twins, High, University, Saga, Love Stories, Harlequins, Jude Deveraux, Judith McNaught, Johanna Lindsey, Jayne Ann Krentz, Amanda Quick, Jane Feather, Catherine Coulter, Kathleen E. Woodiwiss etc. Kahit na full yung closet ko I still have books stack in a shelves sa end of my bed and my shelves beside my bed too. Some of it is on the floor under my bed kasi wala na akong space. My room in my parents house looks like a library.

When I moved, I didn't collect books that much since I can mostly borrowed the books in the library but if I really love the books and wants to re-read it I buy it. Before we have a baby, we have that one room as our library in our house. I even arrange it together with my husband's books, he's an avid reader too like me. But more on fantasy adventure. Now, all our books shelves are transfer to our guess bedroom (and it's a mess right now) bec we turn our library room to our baby room.
No matter how clever or sophisticated a man may appear, he is merely clay waiting to be shaped by the hand of a superior woman.  It is, however, best not to let him know this.
                                                    -Helena Pennington-

christine00900

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 10:54:20 PM »
I used to have around 50o collection since I was little til present.  Mostly Fictional works.  However, I had to give up a lot since I'll be moving to SG this year to be with hubby. 

Some I sold on ebay.ph, most I donated to our office library and school libraries.  Now I'm left with aound 50.   Its so hard to part with dear friends.  :'(

Worse part is, I don't think I can start another collection in SG din kasi we might be moving from place to place and its expensive to lug them around everywhere we go.

piglet24

• finally! now i'm a
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 12:00:37 PM »
i have a small book collection mostly authors start with letter J. Jude Deveraux, Judith Mcnaught, JK Rowling, Jonathan Stroud, L.J. Smith. Julie Garwood.  Some of the chic lits that I own I sold it already. taking up too much space sa bookshelf ko. I'm just keeping the ones worth shelving. :)
LOVE PERSEVERES..it's men who change..

Traveler? http://postcardtrail.blogspot.com

Foodie?
https://www.facebook.com/uaesugarfix

carmilina

• a psychotic registered nurse,admin work,bookjunkie,a sensitive
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • ***Summer***
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 02:09:04 PM »
i've got a lot, since 9 I've reading the huck finn,tom sawyer...

etc.,

until now...

I have a lib of books
---Woman empowerment, that's what my life is...---
***music/books/photography/soccer/travel/Spain/Pnay/Science/ ***  O.o

http://angelsundaylove.wordpress.com/

silverseer

• GirlTalker
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 07:37:44 AM »
like most of you sisses, i have a ton of books, and like most of you, storage space for them is a big headache. i've given away lots of them, especially to friends who i know would appreciate them as i have. these days, being a practical mom, i mostly resort to audiobooks and ebooks. they don't take up much space (just a large capacity external hard drive  :D). still, there's no beating the feel and smell of the printed kind

elfie

• GirlTalker
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 07:35:58 PM »
i probably have over a thousand books... i don't want to count them, kasi nakakatakot malaman kung ilan talaga sila.  ;D i've been collecting them since the 2nd grade, and gosh, ang tanda ko na, so marami na talaga sila. they're mostly fiction, with emphasis on strong female characters, syempre.

i have 2 cabinets just for books, tapos isang wall sa bahay, tinayuan na namin ng shelves. medyo halo-halo sila ngayon, i hope to have the time to organize them one day.

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.