Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day FRI 19 DEC 14
Want to look and feel beautiful? Spritz on a sexy scent on your pulse points for an instant confidence boost.
  • Good House Keeping
    End your year on a sweet note with the December issue of Good Housekeeping magazine!
    Good Housekeeping
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: ROOM COLOR COMBINATIONS  (Read 47856 times)

ms. independent

• PRODIGAL DAUGHTER of GT and a moody
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • First Time Entrepreneur
Re: ROOM COLOR COMBINATIONS
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 12:25:14 PM »
paging sis rics.... =) another one who needs your expert advises.. antagal na nga di napapadaan dito ni sis rics.
Whatever you give a WOMAN, she's going to MULTIPLY.

Give her a SPERM, she'll give you a BABY.
Give her a HOUSE, she'll give you a HOME.
Give her a SMILE, she'll give you her HEART.

Give her a CRAP, you can expect a ton of s***.

ceejhei

• Super mommy!
  • Super GirlTalker
  • i am what i am
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 11:07:51 AM »
sis ms. independent, baka naman may advice ka sakin for green painted walls, kakapaint lang kasi ng apartment owner, nakakahiya naman kapag ipapa repaint ko na kagad. :)

ms. independent

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 12:20:21 AM »
ceejhei, i'm not that good but if wall ko yun, and kakapaint lang and di ko pwede i-alter, i will just choose lots of brown accents. kung pwede ko naman lagyan ng white slipcovers yung sofa, lalagyan ko. then incorporate brown or orange throw pillows, maglalagay din ako clear vase with single yellow flower or any color ng flowers. i may also opt to use shades of brown curtains.

pero for an expert advise, of course "nagresearch" din ako sa aking mga mahiwagang libro. hehe

here it goes:
> a green room is a fresh room!
> green directly comes from nature
> green is yellow- based so all neutral (white, browns, grays, black) will look good when combined to green
> it is eco-friendly so it goes well with "ecologically sound" materials like bamboo, rattans, organic cotton and recycled papers
> you can use lively colors as accent like red, yellow, blue, orange or base colors like whites and blacks ---> i think pwede ka maglagay ng painting na full of colors, throw pillows na colorful and curtains na bright colors like orange or yellow

hope that helps...

rics

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 04:01:00 AM »
I love crisp white furniture with that wall color. I would love to style it ala shabby chick if i can (but i doubt if you like this style since you mentioned modern style). If you cannot have white, well, atleast something off-white or chocolate/dark brown.

That brown line sa baba ng wall, if you can, paint it white so it makes the room brighter, and sort of alternates as a baseboard.

As for accent colors, I suggest bright pinks, greens, yellows for accessories and an additional black. You can have printed fabrics and plain ones as combination. Add an area rug that picks up all the colors of the room. Im not really too fond of persian carpets (and the like), I like those with geometric/bold patterns with different colors.

You may want to put a window treatment that is plain, not lacey so that it will conjure a modern appeal.

As for the center table, you can have glass top with a whimsical base. Glass is also good for small spaces, it gives the illusion of space since it is see through. Add side tables and modern/contemporary design table lamp with a white shade.

Then just add vases of different sizes as added accessory.
Hope my suggestion helps. Update us on your design project.
-- If the only prayer you say in your life is "Thank you Lord," that would suffice. --

ceejhei

• Super mommy!
  • Super GirlTalker
  • i am what i am
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 09:51:18 AM »
^ thank you sis ms.independent and sis rics. i will update you with my new apartment. invest pa ako ng mga gamit and ill stick with your advises. i can imagine it na. super wow. hehe. thanks!!

kutingpie

• le fabulous, bipolar & certified
  • Super GirlTalker
  • living creepily ever after
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 10:29:36 AM »
i want sana a shade of yellow para sa bedroom..kaso i don't know kung ano ang magandang shade and combination para sa mga cabinets. hope you'll help me..thanks ;)

We're all water from different rivers, that's why it's so easy to meet.
We're all water in this vast, vast ocean, someday we'll evaporate together ~ Yoko Ono

★♥ѼREAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★♥Ѽ

muahmuahmuah

• There is no price for Awesomeness! Amp'd Up
  • Super GirlTalker
  • dam it your clothes! punk the devil
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 10:50:01 AM »
ay share ko lang abt green walls...i painted my living room alien green or mickey mouse green or something close to that  it was a bright shade had no idea what carpet theyd put or what furniture was coming in but everything matched well after. my accent wall was the smallest wall that led to the outside and the rest white. everyone who sees it loves it refreshing kasi.

i saw one house that had different colors in every room...a big no no atleast make th transition smooth. n best brighter colors one accent wall for smaller spaces. dont suffocate in it.

sorry kung o.t. ito or nalihis. 
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection. The Lovers, the Dreamers, and Me.

I am a catch, and I am not going to be the one to get away.

You should never settle for who you are.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

ms. independent

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 12:22:57 AM »
^ sis kutingpie, a black cabinet will stand out sa yellow walls mo.. IMO ko lang po yung... i remember kase sa house ng cousin ko, yellow yung wall and my mga wall paintings na black yung border, it stands out.

muahmuahmuah

• There is no price for Awesomeness! Amp'd Up
  • Super GirlTalker
  • dam it your clothes! punk the devil
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 02:06:01 AM »
a good yellow shade is medyo yellow orange. not the lite post it yellow. if its a big room you can go a little dull or powder like the rich kind of yellow orange but not to orangey. golden yellow ...oh here on dickblick.com theres a japanese yellow orange thats good its the yellow shade that looks appealing or google images mo nalang.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection. The Lovers, the Dreamers, and Me.

I am a catch, and I am not going to be the one to get away.

You should never settle for who you are.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

kutingpie

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 07:43:26 AM »
thanks for the tips mga sis! ;)

We're all water in this vast, vast ocean, someday we'll evaporate together ~ Yoko Ono

rics

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 10:36:10 AM »
kutingpie:
you can have oak colored cabinets with yellow walls, or you might want to try even white so it looks very clean and fresh.

I like the shade banana yellow, limelight, good morning sunshine (bejamin moore paints), texas rose (behr paints). These are not pale yellows but a shade or two darker.
-- If the only prayer you say in your life is "Thank you Lord," that would suffice. --

kutingpie

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 11:36:06 AM »
^thanks rics ;)

i am on a tight budget but i want our room to have a new look for this year.  yung paint na orderless sana ang kukunin namin but need pa namin buy new cabinet handles and some plywoods pa. anyway, aside from vinegar, ano pa maganda pang-alis ng amoy ng paint?

rics

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 06:44:11 AM »
There are paints that are odorless actually. There are also paints that is environmentally friendly (does not have VOC).

But i heard that if you add vanilla extract to the paint mixture, the strong smell is somehow lessened. I have not tried it though so i could not verify if it works.

You can use coal that absorbs the smell and definitely opening up windows for ventilation will definitely help.

**My Sweet November**

• A Proud Wife, Mother and
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • Who needs Superman when I already have one!
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 06:57:11 PM »
^Sis ricks,

Mind if I ask if you are an interior designer or decorator? Ang galing kasi ng mga tips mo, very helpful :)

Faith so that you can believe,
Courage to know yourself,
Patience to accept the truth,
And love to complete your life.

rics

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2010, 05:05:04 AM »
^Thank you sis for the compliment. But Im not a pro.  :)

My suggestions here are based on my personal preference  that is greatly influenced by my fave tv shows that has something to do with home reno and interior decorating. I supplement this by reading home design magazines and i pick up al ot of ideas from there.

Also, since last year, we have visited more than a dozen model houses as well as open houses. When we do oculars, I get to talk to the tradesmen working (if i see them around) or interview the sales rep of the property developer. And I really learn a lot from these visits since i do get to see first hand how the houses were decorated, from the kind of floors used, carpeting, wall color, window coverings and furnishings and accessories, ect. And i get to ask questions pa from which comes good explanations.

Another thing, my husband and i love to visit home improvement centres. We live abroad, so basically home improvement is DIY unless you have a budget for contractors. In these stores, you find model kitchens, and rows upon rows of fixtures you will need to update the look of your house. I like browsing through the numerous selections of cabinetry, counter top, paint colors, lighting fixtures, etc. etc. And again, i get valuable insights from the sales people in these stores. They even teach you how to install hardwood/laminate, tiles, do simple carpentry, and suggest which is a better brand or combination thereof.

Another favorite outing is going to big furniture stores where there is a display of the latest design in furnishings and appliances. These stores have model set-up of living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms using different styles of interior design.

It also helped that I have a relative who is a skilled carpenter who shares tips and tricks on home improvement.

So there. I just like to share the little that i know from all these resources so that we all learn from each other  :)

prettygurl00001

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 06:11:08 AM »
sis rics, help!

Will a mocha-colored kitchen cabinet look good if iteterno sa red dish organizer, red display bottles, and countertop tiles na white pero may konting design na parang stained lang?

What about yung floor tiles, ano kayang magandang color? I want it dark-colored sana para hindi dumihin.

Yung walls naman, okay lang ba if white na lang? Or is there any other color you can think of?

Please help sis, we are renovating our kitchen/dining area kasi eh. TIA!

rics

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 09:26:18 AM »
Hi sis prettygurl00001.
Lets play around the color of your cabinets which you said is mocha. Red is actually a color that increases appetite, same as orange, so I think this is a good accessory color. Also, brown is a combination of red and orange and green. And we would like to somehow achieve warmth is the design so this combination i think sits perfectly.

For the walls, instead of plain white, i suggest you paint it in a color that is in the same warm tone as your cabinet although much lighter like peachy-beige or orangey-beige (ex. firefly - benjamin moore paints).

For the floors, i suggest porcelain tiles in bigger sizes. I think the smallest is 13x13 and the biggest is 20x20. But depending on the scale of your kitchen, you might want to take a look first as to how bigger tiles would fit in your floor. As for the floor color, since you already have dark cabinets, having a darker floor will make your kitchen shrink. How about a color that is atleast two shades lighter than your cabinets? Its not going to be too light but not too dark as well.

I hope that your kitchen is just a bit spacious since the color presented here are on the warm side of the color wheel, given this, it will make the room a bit compressed thus evoking a cozy and warm atmosphere.

Balitaan mo kami on the progress of your project.
Happy renovating.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:48:49 PM by rics »

prettygurl00001

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2010, 05:15:57 AM »
Thanks sis! Galing-galing naman ni sis rics!
Floor area ng kitchen is 3x5 sq.m. Spacious ba sya or not?

Can you suggest other colors for the kitchen cabinet aside from mocha? Yung babagay din sana sa red accessories. Kasi gusto ko sana dark yung floor tiles para hindi mashadong halata pag madumi. Eh you said na parang hindi maganda if dark ang cabinets then dark din the floor tiles. Our living room naman kasi has white tiles and nakakainis kapag konting alikabok lang kitang-kita na agad.

Sana nga mapaganda namin yung kitchen, haaay.

rics

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2010, 01:38:10 PM »
Sis Im not really too sure about your kitchen size since im not too accurate with sizing, pasensya na.  :)

Anyway, if you really like the floor to be dark, go for browns, but not too reddish. As for the tile size, maybe you can check the actual sizes available locally and see how its going to fit in your kitchen floor.Do not get smaller size tile even if maliit lang ang space mo, get the slightly bigger ones but not too big. Kasi in using bigger tiles, there would be less grout lines, so cleaner surface. Just think of the room scale.  Then yung cabinets has to be light colored. If you have seen a natural oak color, that is the color you might want to use. Like the color of those cabinets made of mdf they sell at SM. Maybe you can choose a paint similar to that color. Sana makahanap ka ng paint color in this shade or atleast something close to it.

prettygurl00001

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2010, 12:38:47 AM »
si hubby nga sis he likes the oak-colored cabinets. May nakita kasi kami na pictures ng kitchen cabinets na natural oak ang color and he liked it. Kaya lang modular cabinets ata yun like the ones in San Jose Kitchen Cabinets. Eh ang mahal naman if dun pa kami magpapagawa, besides we have a contractor na. Pag naman varnish na oak-colored, parang hindi ko naman gusto. I've seen some pictures din kasi na ang kitchen cabinets eh oak-colored na varnish, parang hindi maganda saka baka pumangit pag nabasa. Lalo namang ayaw ko ng vinyl-coated. Maganda sana sya kaso hindi naman puedeng mababasa. Haay, ang hirap naman mag-isip ng ok na color for kitchen cabinets. Pag beige naman parang very common na.

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.