Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day SAT 25 OCT 14
Want to get an edge at work? Attend seminars, immersions, and training sessions provided by your office to hone your skills.
  • Good House Keeping
    Judy Ann Santos-Agoncillo returns to our cover this September issue and gets candid about money, marriage, and motherhood.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Drop two sizes fast—with simple exercises you can do at home! This month's ultimate weight-loss special shows you how. Plus, real women share how you, too, can shed and keep off excess weight for good.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: ROOM COLOR COMBINATIONS  (Read 46513 times)

ms. independent

• PRODIGAL DAUGHTER of GT and a moody
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • First Time Entrepreneur
ROOM COLOR COMBINATIONS
« on: November 23, 2009, 06:49:29 PM »
hi mga sis,

i need your opinions. i am so confused on what colors to use.  :-\  :-\  :-\

1. i want earth tone colors for our living room. preferably brown and cream curtains, white sofa, white and black carpet (like zebra design) and just touches of vibrant colors for the throw pillows. what is the suitable wall color for that? i don't want the plain white naman.

2. i want contemporary design for the dining area. maybe black/metal or dark wood for the dining table. white yung tiles both living and dining area and continuous yung both area so i know pangit pag magkaiba sila color. but i hope pwede naman yung mga accent walls na iba yung color ng 1 wall.

3. for the kitchen, i will paint 1 wall red. para accent. what will be the good combination for the red wall?

please post away your room color combination... so i can have ideas..

thanks!

Whatever you give a WOMAN, she's going to MULTIPLY.

Give her a SPERM, she'll give you a BABY.
Give her a HOUSE, she'll give you a HOME.
Give her a SMILE, she'll give you her HEART.

Give her a CRAP, you can expect a ton of s***.

rics

• Senior GirlTalker
Re: ROOM COLOR COMBINATIONS
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 02:20:25 AM »
for question #1.

The color trend now for wall color, as what I have seen here abroad, are earth tones, mostly browns and greens. If you like brown as a living room wall color, there are different shades of it,  some are with grey undertones, from taupe to rich dark chocolate color. Maybe you can choose something in between. If you choose this color, your sofa will stand out since its light colored, and the curtains will blend in.

for question #2

Yes, you can make an accent wall. You might also consider putting wallpaper on one part of the dining room for accent. Or you might want to try wall decals.

For question #3

Red is already a strong color, so you might like to consider the color of your cabinetry and counter top.

I like overall clean look of a kitchen given this color, so i might just opt for oak colored cabinets, darker counter tops, and glass mosaic back splash tiles of the same color family to add harmony. If not for glass, there is also porcelain, but I would choose the bigger tiles so there is less visible grout lines.
-- If the only prayer you say in your life is "Thank you Lord," that would suffice. --

ms. independent

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 02:54:48 AM »
thanks for your opinion sis. for the kitchen, will paint 1 wall red then cabinets will be white. for my room, will paint the walls khaki for a calming ambiance. for my lil sister's room, it will be pink and lilac. all considering hot pink and black for accent. parent's room will be on shade of blue. well, that's as of now. colors may change. hehe..

rics

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 04:02:11 AM »
Your kitchen has good color combination, i suggest that the counter be of darker shade so there is contrast.

I have seen the look you wanted to project for 'lil sis's room in one of the model houses we visited a few months back. The furnitures are all white, with accents combination of black and hot pink (cushions/pillows, wall decors, bed covers). But I have also seen the same with different colored furnitures and it all rocked.
-- If the only prayer you say in your life is "Thank you Lord," that would suffice. --

ms. independent

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 04:20:36 AM »
i want granite tiles that are of darker shade nga for the kitchen tops. i just hope all my "visions" are good when executed.

Just bought the real living color book and such a good buy. so many tips that are really helpful and with wide variety of choices for color palettes.

ms. independent

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:12:13 PM »
question ulit and suggestion:

since hot pink and black and color ng room ng lil sister ko i don't know pano siya ieexecute. can it be:

1. one wall painted hot pink and black (stripes)
2. cabinet door painted black and hot pink
3. all walls with combo hot pink and black?

tia

rics

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 04:46:09 AM »
For me:
It can be #1 used as an accent wall preferably where the bed will be placed  so the bed with the stripes on background becomes a strong focal point of the room. You can make the stripes of different sizes, you might want to also consider polka dots.

Or use a lighter pink color for the entire room then add a combo hot pink/black accessories (bed linens, pillows, curtains, area rug and even an accent chair - zebra print in black and pink is fab!). 

I also have seen a room with whitish colored wall, black-brown furniture and funky accessories in pink.

ms. independent

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 05:19:07 AM »
thanks rics. you're beginning to be my adviser na. =)

i like your idea of lighter pink then combo.. nice! maybe i'll add na din lang cabinet in hot pink and black polka dots! i'm sooo excited for the outcome!

you're such a BIG help!

furthermore, maybe you can also tell me what you think of a khaki colored room? i'll use brown curtains. but i think it will not be ok for a long time. it will get boring na din in a while. not unless there are other colors that can be matched with khaki-colored wall.

rics

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 10:40:35 AM »
The khaki color that I remember is the one worn as a school uniform, more on the yellowish side. There are good number for the shade of brown, so Im just guessing if this is the color you are pertaining to.There are shades of brown that are considered neutral, and any additional color will be of compliment. Your color choice for the window treatment is also of the same color family, so it blends in.

I think your room color is still neutral. Personally, i like it somewhat a more darker tan. I like to pair it with a lighter shade of green (lime or yellow green), even a lighter shade of blue.

You can play around with with accessories so that the look will be varied once you get tired of it given your chosen wall color. You can try a burst of warm orange and even red. Different shades of yellow is also nice since it is adjacent in the color wheel so it creates harmony, or even a certain kind of green color.

I just remembered that my apron is stripes with a color combination of darker khaki, dark brown, white and green and looks pleasing to the eyes.

You might opt to get darker shade bed frame and side tables to create drama and sophistication.

ms. independent

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 04:20:53 PM »
yes sis rics, khaki is a neutral color that is leaning towards the yellow family. but i've seen in the color book of real living that it can be well blended with earth tones especially brown to achieve a warm, cozy effect.

i will consider your idea of darker tan so i can match it with greens and blues because i also love that color. i just don't know it darker shades of wall will somehow affect the brightness of the room. i don't want it to be too dark din naman especially during the day.

i so so love "our" collaboration of the hot pink and black combo for my lil sis' room. i almost envy it. LOL. but i know, it will suit her age more.

midnytgurl

• GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 07:56:26 PM »
hi mga sis!for my bedroom the wall color is light blue.my closet is white and the headboard/bedframe and tv stand are dark brown and dresser is dark brown with yellow drawers.what possible color can i use for my curtains?

rics

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 11:53:59 PM »
^^If you have windows that brings in light during the day, the room will not look too dark even if it has a darker wall color. If you choose a darker shade for the wall, opt for lighter colored bedding in the same color family then add pillow accents in another color (some greens perhaps, or combination of greens/brown prints). As with the curtains, you might want to take on a lighter shade. The feel is still earthy warm cozy.

Installing white crown molding brings a more sophisticated elegance to the room, brightens it also.

Goodluck on your big project.
Share with us the result ok.

rics

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 12:23:13 AM »
^^My suggestions:

You can never go wrong with crisp white, it also matches your cabinet color.

Or a slightly darker blue curtain, or a printed material that combines all the colors in your room. Or a combination white curtain with stripes of the colors of your room (to be located either on top or bottom portion of the curtain)

ms. independent

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 12:26:26 AM »
what is a crown molding?

will a shade of red curtain still compliment the shade of brown wall?

rics

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 01:02:27 AM »
Crown molding is actually a type of border you put to separate the walls from the ceiling, its made of wood and can be painted to a color of your choice.

Red is still in warm color family so it blends harmoniously. Or maybe a printed material combination of red and lighter shade of the walls.

ms. independent

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 02:06:46 AM »
thanks rics. already check what's crown molding. yun pala tawag dun. LOL... how bout the molding at the bottom? i really plan to have it painted white even before kahit ngayon ko lang nalaman tawag dun. thanks again.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 04:23:30 AM by ms. independent »

ms. independent

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 07:18:58 PM »
been watching lifestyle network and i've seen a project where they use wainscot. i believe it will make a small space look bigger. i need your suggestions (calling the attention of sis rics) =)

if i put wainscot in the living area and paint it white, can i still add a white crown molding or it will be too crowded already? if i'll paint it white, what will be the paint options for the rest of the wall? can it be a shade of gray? shade of yellow? shade of red? shade of blue? i think i'll lean on getting a black sofa. or will it look better if i'll get the white sofa? hhmmm... ideas.. ideas... ideas... can't decide.

if the wainscot will look elegant, i'll install it on the rest of the house including the stairs. our dining table will be black or dark brown. i'll still go for the white wainscot. will it be better if i'll just paint the ENTIRE first floor with the same color for uniformity? white wainscot and then the rest of the wall? what will be the safest color for the entire wall to achieve the elegant look if the wainscot is white?

thank you so much to anyone who can give me their opinions.

rics

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 11:53:14 PM »
how bout the molding at the bottom?
Its called a base board and comes in tandem with crown molds actually.

been watching lifestyle network and i've seen a project where they use wainscot. i believe it will make a small space look bigger.
Yes it will make the room look much bigger, elegant and add sort of an architectural detail to the wall which makes the it a lot more interesting to took at.

if i put wainscot in the living area and paint it white, can i still add a white crown molding or it will be too crowded already? if i'll paint it white, what will be the paint options for the rest of the wall? can it be a shade of gray? shade of yellow? shade of red? shade of blue? i think i'll lean on getting a black sofa. or will it look better if i'll get the white sofa? hhmmm... ideas.. ideas... ideas... can't decide.

if the wainscot will look elegant, i'll install it on the rest of the house including the stairs. our dining table will be black or dark brown. i'll still go for the white wainscot. will it be better if i'll just paint the ENTIRE first floor with the same color for uniformity? white wainscot and then the rest of the wall? what will be the safest color for the entire wall to achieve the elegant look if the wainscot is white?
Yes you can still add crown molding, it adds dimension to the room. You must remember though that the thickness of the crown molds will depend on the height of the room.

May I suggest that you put on a more neutral shade (ex. darker beige, even khaki or something near that color) since you wanted to paint the whole house the same color, it becomes more coherent. And since its a lot of walls, a neutral tone doesnt get too boring overtime, you just have to adjust/add color to your home accessories.

ms. independent

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 12:08:50 AM »
thanks for all the ideas rics... i just hope it would still look good if i will not use crown molding for the living and dining area. the ceiling kase on the first floor is cement with horizontal lines. d ko alam pano ko idedescribe. basta wala siya wood ceiling so i think hindi siya bagay.

ceejhei

• Super mommy!
  • Super GirlTalker
  • i am what i am
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 09:22:10 AM »
sis rics, what can you suggest for a mint green paint? kasi the house that we rented is yung ceiling paint is white, tapos parang mint green yng shade nung walls then may line na brown sa baba. i find it so boring! what colors should i choose for my furnitures? Para mag mukhang modern and maliwanag yung house? Thanks!

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.