Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day TUE 21 OCT 14
Going swimsuit shopping? If you have wide shoulders, play up your torso with colorful bikini bottoms. A square neckline will also do wonders for your upper
  • Good House Keeping
    Judy Ann Santos-Agoncillo returns to our cover this September issue and gets candid about money, marriage, and motherhood.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Drop two sizes fast—with simple exercises you can do at home! This month's ultimate weight-loss special shows you how. Plus, real women share how you, too, can shed and keep off excess weight for good.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: How do you handle being Single?  (Read 62447 times)

Purple_Power

• Super GirlTalker
How do you handle being Single?
« on: November 20, 2009, 11:51:57 PM »
Umabot rin ba sa point na you are really longing or being desperate looking for love?

Kinahiya niyo rin ba ang pagiging single to the extent na naiinsecure na kayo sa ibang lovers?

Nagkaroon ba kayo ng mentality na you are already old or in the right age and dapat you have a bf/gf already?  like example 18 na ako wala pa rin akong boyfriend paano na yan? Ang tanda ko na wala pa rin akong boyfriend?

On the other side or positive note

What are the advantage of being single? Aside sa wala kang iniintindi na ibang tao na hindi nasisira pag-aaral mo or you can do whatever you want, walang sakit sa ulo, you can date with others as many as you can at hindi ka mapapagastos during dates? What else can you say? I just want to hear more specific of advantages for being single?

How do you enjoy being single? 

mooncake and leaves

• Super GirlTalker
    • Clickity
Re: How do you handle being Single?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 12:01:57 PM »
i had the same thoughts when i was single and an 18 year old. ang fresh ko pa noon. haha ang labo. anyway, to this day i remember how it felt and it was sad during that time. when i was at that particular stage, it could get really lonely. but now, i see that my single days were actually a lot of fun. even the bad parts were actually good compared to the bad parts of being in a relationship. when i was single, sky's the limit when i would make lists of what i want from a boyfriend and from a relationship. i owned my time (and money harhar). i didn't have to wait for anyone. i didn't have to consult anyone when i have to make a decision. i only had to think about myself. and i think that's the biggest advantage of being single- self-discovery. when you're in a relationship, you get so wrapped up and entangled with someone else's life and person that you tend to forego your own ideas in the spirit of compromise and negotiation. harhar. when you're all by yourself, there's no compromise. you're your own boss.

:)

trizh

• aiming high :)
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 12:26:52 PM »
  -- yes dumating na yung point na naghahanap din ako ng bf. hehe. I'm 18 years old, pero hindi ko pa naman naiisip na matanda na ako pero wala pa rin akong bF. sa akin sa ngayon, mas focus ako sa studies ko. At mas tinitignan ko yung advantages ng pagiging single. Example, walang sakit sa ulo, bawas gastos (load at date ;) ), mas focus sa studies, walang iniintindi kundi sarili lang, pwedeng magflirt sa iba at marami pang iba. hehe. basta ako happy kahit single.
Learn to wait for the perfect time so that you may discover that all pain found in waiting has a magnificent and awesome purpose ϋ

angeleigh

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 12:32:57 PM »
I think having a boyfriend in your teens will somehow limit your growth. Marami kasing 'bawal' when you're in a relationship, kaya you wont get to explore. And yes, your focus of course would be on him. Tendency is, you wont really have time to enjoy bonding moments with friends, and even your family.

Enjoy singlehood. Sabi nga ni sis m&l (haba sis e), sayo lahat ng oras at money mo. You'll also learn to be independent coz all the decisions will be yours to make.

luisacart

• Senior GirlTalker
  • Never judge a book by it's genre.
    • My Adventures in Finding Mr. Right
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 05:12:31 AM »
i never felt the pressure to be in a relationship kahit noon teenager pa ako (i'm 25 now). kahit lahat ng mga kaibigan ko noon takot na tumandang dalaga, i've always had this ideal that if i'm gonna be in a relationship i'm not gonna settle for less than what i wanted. ang motto ko na nga nun in terms of finding a life partner was, "i'd rather end up alone than be with someone who will make me miserable" and when my friends will tell me i need to a man so that i can have a baby someday, i would say "bakit? may sperm bank naman!"

i didn't really enjoy my being single then because takot ako makipag-flirt or fling sa mga lalaki dahil i had a lot of insecurities about myself. i've always thought i was not pretty enough, etc, and i was afraid of rejection. so kung kaharap ko is someone i would really consider as a potential bf, i'd run away!
i had my first bf when i turned 21. we were really in love. unfortunately, by then i was too set on my independent ways. nasanay na akong walang bf for that long and i realized i actually liked it better than having to answer to anyone. kasi when you're in a relationship, you always have to think of your partner. kung maapektuhan ba siya sa mga decision mo. and i felt like i wasn't ready pala to be in a serious relationship. doon ko narealize [textspeak!] mga bagay na na-miss ko when i was hiding from guys during my teens. so, kahit i really loved him at the time, i broke up with him because i felt it was better for us that way.

now, im 25. marami na akong natutunan sa life. i'm dating again and i've learned a lot of lessons in the past 4 years. hindi ko naman pala kailangan itapon ang pagiging independent person ko just because i'm in a relationship. if i could find someone who will understand that. who will be able to accept me as i am. faults and all (i love my faults it took me 25 years to accept that i'm never gonna be perfect so whoever i end up with needs to know that too). so i'm dating and i'm learning a lot about relationships just by going out with different people. i'm actively searching for someone i can be with because i feel i'm better equipped to nurture a relationship now. i'm still not gonna settle for an unhealthy relationship though. i mean, just because i'm looking doesn't mean i'm desperate. a meaningful relationship would be lovely to have. but it's not my goal in life. my #1 priority will always be my own happiness. sorry!
sa ngaun, natutunan ko na i should just let the wind take me away to wherever it wants to take me because kahit hindi nag-wowork out mga possible relationships, ndi ibig sabihin noon i should give up looking. and always look at the bright side, sucky relationships always teaches you something good.
*WHEN YOU'RE FALLING, DIVE!~~

muahmuahmuah

• There is no price for Awesomeness! Amp'd Up
  • Super GirlTalker
  • dam it your clothes! punk the devil
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 11:04:33 AM »
at 18 having a bf didnt enter my mind i wasnt looking for it din. but ok i had a bf at 17 1st year college paramg sige he liked me so why not and cute naman sya. pero i didnt get what having a bf meant i was too self reliant and self absorbed to figure what loving somebody is. so it wasnt easy getting your heart broken the first time. sandali lang kmi [textspeak!] guy. i grew up spoiled and our home was filled with love. i didnt need it outside kaya it took me awhile to figure it out. upto now puzzled parin ako or dense haha.

at 18 sa family namin baby ka pa nyan too young to have a bf itll be better that way din. even when i had a bf at 24 and an unforeseen heartbreak id tell my single friends to not get into it if they cant choose wisely. id say stay single have fun do what you want be emotionally equipped to handle whatever love brings. at 18 i wouldve worked more and earned more. i did naman pero point is you have the whole world in your hands to create something great for you. looking for a guy or having a partner is just the cherry on the icing. bonus and if you have one he shouldnt be someone wholl bring you down.

living single as what some say keri lang yan. therell be moments in the end keri pa rin yan.

Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection. The Lovers, the Dreamers, and Me.

I am a catch, and I am not going to be the one to get away.

You should never settle for who you are.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

punkrockprincess

• Junior GirlTalker
  • always find time to chill out
    • thoughts of a single lady
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 12:17:34 PM »
back when i was in college, i really didn't bother if i didn't have a bf then since i was enjoying the company of my friends and i felt that if ever i'd have a bf, it would take away my time with my friends. my point of view then was that the only difference of having a bf was having the license to get physically intimate with someone. for me, as long as i had friends who can keep me company and to whom i can vent out my frustrations, then it was already good enough for me. some of my friends were already in a relationship then and i would always be the third wheel, but i didn't mind for as long as they didn't make me feel out of place.

however when i started working, that's when i somehow felt the longing to have a bf since all my friends and most officemates are already hitched. whenever i go out with them, i always turn out going solo. a lot of people also ask me why i still don't have a bf and it's kinda tiring to answer the same question over and over again. my parents seem to be kinda bothered too that they're asking me to change my attitude - they advised that i should try being more approachable and look more friendly, parati raw kasi ako nakasimangot and i only choose the people to whom i'll talk to.

oh well, i'm already 23, single and never been kissed. but i don't really care much. i have all the time and money for myself. i sometimes go out with friends but i can also manage to do things on my own - i travel, join a race, eat, go to boxing class, watch movie, etc. but admittedly, these things are more fun to do when you're with someone, yun nga lang wala talaga akong choice.

shimmertarts

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 06:53:17 PM »
I'm cautious (overly cautious) about getting into a serious relationship.

When I was little I set a time line but your insights change when you grow up.

I'll go with flow but at one point I know I'll take risks if I deem it necessary.

commish

• One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
  • GUYTalker
  • Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 06:17:55 AM »
-my doggies
-activities like aikido, gym, basketball
-focus sa work pati sa business
-focus sa welfare ng mga utol ko
-get a lot of friends and KEEP them as friends
-syempre GT

minsan di kinakaya yung loneliness, longing or urge na manligaw or maghanap ng female partner, ginagawa ko tinutulog ko na lang or quick diversional activity. laking tulong ng ipod ko hehe.

ngayong pasko medyo mahirap nanaman to hehe.
What I want is just like what women wants.
something between a box of chocolate and a good conversation.

For God has not given us a spirit of fear
but of power, love and sound mind. - II Timothy 1:7

justbeingme

• GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 03:36:16 PM »
One of the advantages of being single is enriching your career and studying to the max. Having a bachelor's degree is great. Pero since single ka naman then why not push yourself further di ba.  Go to law school, get an MBA, go to med school or any graduate school dahil wala ka naman iniintindi. Sa pinas naman most parents are willing to finance kung kaya nila or minsan kahit di nila kaya e kakayanin nila in the name of education. If parents wont pay for it well you can always save or work and study simultaneously.  Even if you are already working there are lots of conferences, training, convention etc where you can learn a lot and of course it's good for the cv. It's hard to study when you are married and/or have kids.

Enjoy the clothes you can wear since you still don't have post-pregnancy fat. Of course no matter what your body type is you can wear anything you want.  Lakasan lang naman ng loob yan e. 

Na-experience ko yung time na present ako sa halos lahat ng gimik, party at outing na inoorganize ng friends. Minsan naging favorite guest na ko sa wedding dahil alam nila pupunta ako.  Palagi ako present sa party at outing ng department.  Pati sa party at outing ng ibang department present din ako. LOL.

Dati nag fitness first ako kahit di nakayanan ng powers nila na patabain ako. Afterwards I just bought dumbells and do whatever exercise I want at home.

Dati umakyat kami ng mga classmates ko sa bundok kahit na mangiyak ngiyak ako dahil feeling ko nagkandalasug-lasog yung buto ko.  Di naman kasi ako athletic. Obviously.

Bumili ako ng cd on lap dancing kahit na mirror lang ang sinasayawan ko. LOL.

Dati pumupunta kami ng friends ko sa mga carnivals at sa enchanted kingdom kahit wala kaming kids.

Being single is a time to explore your interests and kahit nga di ka interesado para lang ma-experience mo ok na di ba.

If I have time I would probably : Learn how to cook. Maybe enroll in short courses or just buy a good cookbook.  I would like to learn how to play any musical instrument.  I want to learn how to dance the salsa.  I would like to join any organization which promotes a good cause. etc. etc.

Syempre no matter what you do at the end of the day it's just me, myself and I.  The things that we do only give temporary relief of loneliness.  So we pray for God to give us peace and happiness that can satisfy and fill our hearts. Medyo dramatic pero it's the only thing that keeps me sane. I wake up and He makes me feel everything will just be okay.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 04:08:38 PM by justbeingme »

ShimmerMist

• Probationary
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 02:01:07 AM »
May point sa life ko na I longed to be in a relationship.. actually months ago lang.  Halos lahat din kasi ng friends ko may bf, and some, kinasal na ... ako na lang ata ang naiwan na single.  Limited lang din kasi ang social life ko that time, cause of reviews, exams tapos na-enjoy ko din ang online work for about a year. 

Pero nung nagstart na akong mag-work sa isang company, busy na ako and hindi ko na yun naiisip.  Nag-aaral ako ulit ng masteral, which siguro kung may bf ako won't be possible or na-heart broken na ako, kasi hindi talaga sya ang magiging top priority.  I'm still keeping a few hours sa online work (extra income din  ;))... tapos the little time I have left is for family, friends and pamper day. :)

Sana pag-grad ko, dumating na siya... kung hindi pa din, hmm.. hanap nanaman ng ibang pagkakaabalahan.

Purple_Power

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 04:13:39 PM »
My bf and I enjoyed reading your replies since nakakarelate rin kami kahit papaano  ;D Though hindi lang ako umabot sa point of longing dahil nakakarelate rin ako sa ibang mga post niyo kung bakit hehe.... I will quote it na lang.

relax and enjoy life whatever your status is, being in a relationship doesn't mean you will be happy.l when you feel bad coz you're still single think about all the couples you know who are unhappy with their relationships or who are having serious problems. for all you know they envy you for being single and carefree. the grass is always greener on the other side.

I like your point and this is exactly what I mean na noong single ako during my high school and college days hindi ako nafufrustrate sa pagiging single ko. Hindi ko rin sinasabing buti pa ang iba may karelasyon na. Kasi iniimagine ko pa rin if they are really happy in relationship at kung mahal nga ba nila ang isa't isa? Baka naman naging magkarelasyon lang sila as rebound o panakip butas, pwede ring for the sake of may partner lang in life o baka mamaya naggagamitan lang naman sila. Nawitness ko rin naman sa mga barkada ko kung gaano silang naging ka stressful during their relationship. Ito pa nga yun eh! nababasa ko pa love letter nung isa kong barkada tapos napaka sugar coating na kala mo naman the guy will take the woman forever and ever tapos malaman ko kinabukasan break na.  :-\ So talagang nasa isip ko na I am not yet matured to have a boyfriend at kung babalikan ko pagkabata ko I could really imagine na puro heartaches ang dinadala ko kung noon pa lang sumabak na ako sa relasyon. Ayokong umabot sa punto na ang sasabihin ko ay bakit ganito ang mga lalake kagaya ng ginagawa ng ibang mga babae ngayon.

i never felt the pressure to be in a relationship kahit noon teenager pa ako (i'm 25 now). kahit lahat ng mga kaibigan ko noon takot na tumandang dalaga, i've always had this ideal that if i'm gonna be in a relationship i'm not gonna settle for less than what i wanted. ang motto ko na nga nun in terms of finding a life partner was, "i'd rather end up alone than be with someone who will make me miserable" and when my friends will tell me i need to a man so that i can have a baby someday, i would say "bakit? may sperm bank naman!"

Another point taken, tapos kung nataon pa napunta ka sa lovers na masagwa ang ugali sabay mahilig manakit physically and emotionally. Grabe! mas piliin ko na lang na maging mag isa ako. Hindi ang lovelife ang magiging sagot sa problema mo kung natsambahan nga lang yan pa ang magbibigay sayo ng malaking problema.

justbeingme

• GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 12:44:56 AM »
When you are single and alone, you are more sensitive to the love that family and friends give you. Yung mga small things lang dati ngayon naaappreciate mo na.

Medyo namamaga pa din ang face ko sa kakaiyak intermittently for 12 hours nung friday/sat.  Pano ba naman thanksgiving and I missed relatives and friends habang ako ay alone dito sa pinas.  Several good friends sent me an email.  Kahit na email lang and kahit short messages lang naappreciate ko sobra.  I cried hard.  Minsan naman kahit simple msg lang sa cel kahit na pakamu-kamusta lang masaya na ko.  Minsan pag may friend ako na dumadaan dito sa apartment para magdala ng lunch or dinner sobrang matutuwa na ko kasi di na ko magluluto o lalabas para bumili.  Minsan neighbor ko mag iinvite ng dinner kasi bday ng kids nila happy na ko nun kasi di naman ako talaga friendly sa neighbors.  Dumating na ang bagong set ko ng books hindi ko pa nga tapos yung naunang set. LOL.

sugardrop

• Super GirlTalker
  • Loving life's simple pleasures.
    • J'adore Rougit
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 10:13:05 PM »
I'm 25 now and I've been in and out of relationships. Right now, I'm single and I actually refer to it as single-blessedness. I get to know myself more, I have set my priorities straight, I can go out with whoever I want. I just got burned.
A little backreading won't hurt.

J'adore Rougit

Instagram: greenappletini

bella123

• GirlTalker
  • everyone has been misjudged.
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 12:55:15 PM »
i concentrate on my work to the point of nalimutan ko na ang personal life ko, i give most of my time sa work ko, sometimes being with friends.

graceria07

• Super GirlTalker
    • Kikay Momma
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 01:14:20 PM »
love yourself more.... that how you hande being single =)
appreciate what you are and what you can do.
new momma on the loose!

andreanatividad

• GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 03:25:56 PM »
by being busy and fulfilled with work, family and friends.

di naman issue ang singlehood for some women. nagiging issue lang when other ppl pity them, which is hindi naman dapat.

diff strokes for diff folks.

iba iba ang kapalaran ng mga tao.

aylin

• happy to be a
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • - aylin -
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 10:16:44 AM »
of course lahat naman i guess nang single eh dumadating sa point na longing for someone..pero wala eh ganon talaga wala pang dumadating..kaya enjoy lang being single...go with the flow..enjoy time with friends.. =D
- Waiting is painful.Forgetting is painful.But not knowing which to do is the worst kind of suffering -

Beng01

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 06:56:38 PM »
Ako Im okay being single as of this moment since kakabreak ko lang nine months ago. It's my 'ME' time muna.
Life for me now is Eat, Pray, LOVE!

Thanks be to God for this Gift of Life. Finally soon to be mom this year!!! ♥♥♥

kaiz

• Super GirlTalker
  • My Son, My Happiness, My Life
    • WACKER e-Store
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 08:36:37 PM »
i am now 25 pero kung babalikan ko yung time na 18 ako and walang bf, pipiliin ko pa rin yung walang bf. ang saya ng stage na yun! young, carefree and madaming admirers  ;D ;D ;D  pinakanamiss ko sa pagiging single yung time ko for myself. during those times, gagawin ko kung ano ang maiisip ko gawin.. bigla bigla. no need to make paalam to anyone and can go home as late (or as early  ;D ) as 5am. LOL. mas madami din ako friends before nung single pako. strict kasi si hubby  :'(
..true strength is being able to hold it all together when everyone else is expecting you to fall apart..

..i am your mona lisa..

threehundredquotes.blogspot.com

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.