Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day THU 24 JUL 14
Calm your nerves by eating serotonin-rich foods like whole wheat and oats.
  • Good House Keeping
    The July issue is our Makeover Special! Be inspired by the weight-loss successes of The Biggest Loser’s Kayen Lazaro and Osie Nebreja, who entered the reality TV show simply wanting to lose weight but ended up gaining whole new (healthier!) lives.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Jumpstart your best body today with this month’s best foods special. Women’s Health shares over 100 of the best packaged foods for women, sourced from leading supermarkets, specialty stores, and delivery services.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: How long does it typically take you to finish a book?  (Read 19104 times)

gnela_21

• music loving, book reading
  • Senior GirlTalker
How long does it typically take you to finish a book?
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:01:57 AM »
I usually read before going to sleep, if I really like the book at hand, it takes be about 2 nights to finish one. If it's a bit boring, mga 3-5 nights. Per night, I read for about 1-3 hours depending on how late it is. Minsan inaabot ako ng 2am lalo na kung i badly needed to finish the book. ;)

Kayo mga sis, how long does it typically take you to finish a book?
remind me that we'll always have each other when everything else is gone.

simplengbitchy

• GirlTalker
Re: How long does it typically take you to finish a book?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 09:14:09 AM »
parang ganyan din sayo... the fatest i've gone siguro one whole day.. hinde ko tinigilan yung book hanggang matapos ko siya...

i read sa office kasi... wala kasing masyadong trabaho ngayon, but i have to go to the office para may swelduhin...so i read a book na lang... mga 2 days, tapos ko yung book...

i can't read a lot kasi sa bahay kasi i have a baby... so ang free time ko sa kanya ang majority... ;)

Daphna

• GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 10:41:24 AM »
I'm still in school so reading another book is kind of constricting for me so if I have time, say, vacation break, I can finish a book in one sitting. I'm a very fast-reader so that is an advantage. However, if I'm not in a mood to read at all, it would take about 2 days to finish a book or if I lost interest in the book, it would take months or years even.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:53:06 AM by Daphna »

nina0205

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »
I average between 3-5 days.  I usually read before I sleep. 

Beng01

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 08:38:19 PM »
It depends. Kung gusto ko iyong author ng book it will only takes me a day to read that book. Pero kung iyong tipong napipilitan lang ako basahin, it takes me months! ;D
Life for me now is Eat, Pray, LOVE!

Thanks be to God for this Gift of Life. Finally soon to be mom this year!!! ♥♥♥

trizh

• aiming high :)
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 06:21:52 AM »
  -- ako, kapag super ganda ng book, tapos wala rin akong ginagawa, 1 whole day lang. pero kapag nagkataong maraming ginagawa, umaabot ng 1 month. pero mas naaappreciate ko yung nababasa ko kapag mabilis kong natatapos..
Learn to wait for the perfect time so that you may discover that all pain found in waiting has a magnificent and awesome purpose ϋ

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 07:27:57 AM »
I steal time to read, or read during the odd available sliver of time (5 - 10 min at a stretch usually; 20 min straight is heaven sent already).

I read several books at any given time... 
there is a book in my bag, in my bag left in the car with my portable DVD, etc., in my car itself, in my office (at least 3 to choose from), by my bed (at least 5 to choose from), in my house computer room, in my family kitchen, in our game room where I watch tv with the kids... wherever.   
I take short reading breaks at the office.  I also read when:  stuck in traffic, waiting for other people (doctor, lawyers, clients, friends, my sisters, employees, ka-meeting people, my kids, my husband, my cook ...etc ) to settle down or get their act together....  I can't sleep without reading for a few minutes... I read while in the tub... 10-20 miinutes here and there.

50% of the time, reading keeps me from homicidal tendencies LOL and from temper tantrums... yes, I am a very impatient person.   
I speed read.  But since I can do so only in 5-20 min. periods,  I may finish a book anywhere from 1.5 days to a month.  On the average, I finish 5 books a week.

BUT there are books that never get finished... you know, those kind of books that you gotta validate with your life experiences and makes you listen to your conscience, knocks on your subconscious, etc... or outright nakakatakot and makes me wake up my husband in the middle of the night coz I gotta pee and am too scared to go to the bathroom
 alone... LOL

I love reading.  When I retire... kelan pa kaya?  I will read books all day.

mommynin8

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 09:47:49 AM »
depends on the length of the book, what its about, and the extra time i have.  my family and the house takes up my time i barely have time to open a magazine he he he

i haven't had the time to move the books from the boxes to the mini-library i set up at home pa nga (i've been at the house since july pa hanggang ngayon nasa boxes pa din sila!!!)
And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but because conscience tells one it is right.

tea leaf

• earth angel
  • GirlTalker
  • angel blessings...
    • consult the cherub of style today!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 12:42:48 PM »
depends on the book and author.  i remember reading the 4 books of Twilight Saga for about 6 days lang, sobrang adik talaga.  If i can't tote the big books along on some of my walks, i read sa iphone ko.  During that weekend, i stayed up pa till 4am, sakit sa mata but worth it.  =)

pag ayoko naman, it takes me months or i just give up altogether kung di naman necessary basahin.  nakaka-guilty though, weird pero i feel like i'm cheating pag naumpisahan ko na tapos di ko tatapusin yung story.  its unfair to the author who labored over it.  hehe.  just my take though, madalang naman yun.  i don't usually pick anything i don't like. 

angeleigh

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 12:51:52 PM »
One day lang, lalo na if its a Judith Mcnaught novel. Kahit sigawan na ako ng mom ko, hindi ako lumalabas ng room. :P

heavensent

• a freelancer, a wondermom, a bookworm, a tv addict and a
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Eric and Sookie
    • my ebook collection:
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 12:54:01 PM »
im an addict.. i so love to read..

depends on the book im reading, when im totally hooked i can finish a book in 8-10 hours, as in di ako matutulog hanggat di ko natatapos yung book..

but usually it takes me a day, pero pag medyo dragging yung book 3-5 days..

gwacie

• also known as Grace the Great
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • daydream believer
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 01:49:59 PM »
It depends on the book. If it's gripping, I can finish it in a weekend afternoon. But normally, since I have work, I read before bed and usually conk out before I can finish a couple chapters. I can't read outside my room; I get distracted easily and I get concious of people seeing my facial expressions as I read. That said, on weekdays it takes about 3-5 days to finish a book.
I'll seek a four-leaved shamrock in all thy fairy dells,
And if I find the charmed leaves, oh, how I'll weave my spells!

wookies

• GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 04:20:31 AM »
before, i can finish a book for 2 days lalo na kung maganda talaga but now, medyo busy na with my job at sa son ko, inaabot na ko ng weeks...
Smile! It will make you look better. Pray, it will keep you strong. Love, it will make you enjoy life.

benchingko

• GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 05:19:06 AM »
i remember finishing HP7 in 8 hours (i ditched work to finish it) hehe

usually it takes me a day
"Fairy tales, are more than true. Not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be defeated." Neil Gaiman

hannabishi

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 07:38:54 PM »
It usually takes me 3 days to finish an average book but it still depends on my activities and on how good the book is. It also depends on the thickness and content of the book like how it was written, if it is easier to read or not.

For instance, I can read Kinsella's books for one day while Gabriel Garcia Marquez' takes me weeks to months.

Joycy

• Living life with integrity and order...
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • is in love with Kakashi Hatake
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 06:41:47 AM »
If im not doing anything, it can take me one day to finish an average book.  ;D
God tied u and I together by our little fingers with a long red string. This bond of destiny cannot be seen and there is no map leading to u. So i will fall in love with u when i meet u.

follow me @ www.twitter.com/Venus914

silke

• matabil
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • I think therefore I am
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 06:57:28 AM »
depende. if i really like the story and i have a lot of free time naman, i don't really put it down until i finished it.

twelvth_goddess

• A certified ZOE-holic and a true blue
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 02:38:48 AM »
If I really like the book, I can finish it in 1 day. Kaso pag gustong-gusto ko talaga minsan tinitipid ko sya hehe
Whatever I want, I get. If I can't, I don't stop TRYING.

lyn

• "Be true to yourself!"
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Say what's on your mind. ;)
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 12:51:52 PM »
Depends on the book, story, author, length, available time I got and if feel ko magbasa. What I usually love to read are romance books. Historical Romance, Contemporary, Suspence/Thriller. Those Harlequin books I can finish it in 2-3 hours. A 300-500 pages romance novel I can finish in about 4-6 hours. Lalo na kapag nagagandahan ako sa story and I can't put it down, ang dali ko lang matapos yun. :)
No matter how clever or sophisticated a man may appear, he is merely clay waiting to be shaped by the hand of a superior woman.  It is, however, best not to let him know this.
                                                    -Helena Pennington-

willow_24

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 02:10:05 PM »
it depends eh. kung gusto ko talaga yung book or yung series usually 1-2 days lang kaya kong matapos. pero pag medyo dragging or boring yung book minsan inaabot ng ilang weeks. at depende rin kung may free time ako para magbasa. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.