Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day THU 31 JUL 14
Eat slowly. It's good for better digestion--it will help you enjoy your food more too!
  • Good House Keeping
    The July issue is our Makeover Special! Be inspired by the weight-loss successes of The Biggest Loser’s Kayen Lazaro and Osie Nebreja, who entered the reality TV show simply wanting to lose weight but ended up gaining whole new (healthier!) lives.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Jumpstart your best body today with this month’s best foods special. Women’s Health shares over 100 of the best packaged foods for women, sourced from leading supermarkets, specialty stores, and delivery services.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: tokyo  (Read 73855 times)

greyzie

• in reHav
  • Senior GirlTalker
Re: tokyo
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 11:45:55 AM »
for transpo, you can save a lot if you avail of the day passes:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html
"D period of gr8st gain in knowledge & experience is d most difficult period in one's life. Thru a difficult period, u can learn, u can develop inner strength, determination, & courage to face d problem. Who gives u this chance? Your enemy." -- Dalai Lama

fabulosity

• GirlTalker
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 10:04:01 PM »
I think $100/pax would cover meals and transpo, no prob.
but obviously, souvenirs, fine dining, cab rides, attraction tickets, etc. is another story.

chinita8

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 11:35:54 AM »
sis fabulosity, sorry to bother you again ... but would you know what are the must-do and must-go places at Osaka and Kyoto?

We're thinking since we're in Japan na rin, to also hit those two other places besides Tokyo. Nice din daw dun!  ;)

fabulosity

• GirlTalker
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 06:06:21 AM »
hi chinita8! I don't mind at all!

I'm afraid I can't be of much help though because I haven't been to both places yet.

However, I know Osaka is a must for foodies. I suggest going to a DIY okonomiyaki place, yum!
shop at the best sanrio store ever (Osaka)!
If you haven't been to the one in Orlando Fl., the Universal Studios in Osaka might be worth checking out.
For a bird's eye view of the city, go to the umeda sky bldg.
I know there's a castle to check out in osaka as well, not sure of the name...
I know in Kyoto, there's a bunch of temples and castles to see and notably, the golden pavillion is a must (it's a world heritage site)

the others GTers may have more suggestions... hope this helps

Sushi Bb

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 07:44:43 AM »
chinita8

I highly recommend na mag spend ka ng a night or two sa Kyoto.  I love Kyoto! Kinkakuji Temple at Kiyomizu Dera ang dalawang place na dapat puntahan mo kung wala kang mashadong time.

Sa Kiyomizu, mafefeel mo ang atmosphere ng Old City.  On your way up to the temple, maraming tindahan for souvenirs at the same time if you're lucky makakakita ka pa ng maikos and geishas.  If you love to dress up, may opportunity ka pang mag dress up as a maiko complete with make up and traditional japanese dress.

I love the serenity of Kinkakuji temple naman.  Pag bungad mo pa lang sa Temple ma papa wow ka na kasi it is picture perfect. I'm sure you'll love it there.

Tama si fabulosity.. Osaka is perfect if you're adventurous sa food.  Osaka Castle is also worth visiting especially pag Cherry Blossom season.

Universal studios is ok but be warned na walang translation sa mga shows doon :P If I were you I'd just spend more time in Kyoto... :)

Hope I helped!

dgca

• GirlTalker
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 03:48:40 PM »
any recommendations for restaurants in tokyo? :)

chinita8

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 10:20:54 PM »
to sis fabulosity and SushiBb, THANKS so much for the very informative inputs on Kyoto and Osaka. It seems like Kyoto is such a beautiful place and will surely put it in my list.

Sisses, i have a few more questions pa sana ...

How about the places Kobe and Nara? Is it nice there? Are these places near Kyoto, or Osaka or Tokyo? Our route will start in Tokyo. Any suggested route that we can take? We might be driving kasi.

Hope you could help me on this ... Thanks again!

vain_kixie

• Super GirlTalker
  • * shoe addict*
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 02:59:48 AM »
i wanna go on a week tour sa japan this march or april. but i only need land arrangement package. cause i get 90%off from airfare do to my work. may kilala ba kayo that offers land tour for march or april?
*dont buy anything you can get for free*

greyzie

• in reHav
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 05:06:25 PM »
My colleagues & I spent our New Year`s break in Tokyo, I`d like to share our itinerary for 3 days, 2 nights.

1st Day
Shinjuku
   Very busy station! Interesting are the skyscrapers and the malls surrounding the station. We came here for the Winter Illumination but even if it`s not winter, the place are well illuminated and very lively at night.

Shibuya
  * Hachiko statue photo op.
     - didn`t spend much time here except for the photo op with the Hachiko Statue (It was featured in an Amazing Race episode and there`s also a movie about the dog). If we have more time, we might have explored this place also.

Harajuku-Omotesando
   * Takeshita Dori for the famous teenage fashion. We went here on a weekday but I read it`s more interesting to go on a Sunday, that`s when a lot of cosplayers go to strut their stuff.
    * Stores like Forever21, H&M and Gap are also there.
    * La Foret Shopping Mall
    * Meiji Jingu (Famous Shrine)
    * Yoyogi Park   
    * Biggest LV Store in Japan is in Omotesando Hills
    * Kiddyland - toy store, along Omotesando Hills din.

2nd Day
    * Tokyo Disneyland
       - near Maihama Station is the IKSPIARI, disney-inspired mall.

3rd day
     * Odaiba - getting there in Yurikamome line is an experience in itself. You`ll get to see the famous rainbow bridge. Must see: Fuji TV, Miraikan Museum, The Venus Fort.

Some other interesting places:

Ghibli Museum (anime museum)
Asakusa Sensoji Temple
Instead of shelling out entrance fee at Tokyo Tower, you can go to Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building for a bird`s eyeview of the city or the Sumitomo Building in Shinjuku.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 05:42:11 PM by greyzie »
"D period of gr8st gain in knowledge & experience is d most difficult period in one's life. Thru a difficult period, u can learn, u can develop inner strength, determination, & courage to face d problem. Who gives u this chance? Your enemy." -- Dalai Lama

greyzie

• in reHav
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 05:39:34 PM »
For Kyoto, there`s a day pass available in Kyoto Station,
¥500 (can be bought in vendo machine).

http://www.city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html

there`s a pdf file where you can download the map but it was also available in the station. the bus is very convenient and cheaper if you want to see many temples in a day. the farthest is the Kinkakuji. My personal favorites are Kiyomizudera, Nanzenji & Kinkakuji. When we went there (October), Ginkakuji (Silver Pavilion) is still under renovation, you might want to skip it. But Sis Jappsie said that most travelers complete the 3 sets: Kinkakuji, Ginkakuji & The Path of Philosophy. You can take the Path of Philosophy from Ginkakuji to Nanzenji, very peaceful.

Heian Shrine (from the movie Lost in Translation), Sanjusansendo & Fushimi Inari (need to ride the JR train) are other interesting places.

In Nara, there`s the Todaiji Temple. Too bad we weren`t able to go there. But you can feed the deer in the park.

chinita8

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 10:43:04 PM »
^kyoto really seems interesting ... thanks sis for all the info.  ;D

Sushi Bb

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 12:29:46 PM »
hello again!
I didn't get the chance to visit Nara but I've been to Kobe for a number of times.  Wala masyadong galaan sa Kobe.  I love the city but aside from ilang shrine at herb park wala nang mapupuntahan don.

chinita8, gaano ka ba katagal sa Japan? Kung one week ka lang suggest ko mag concentrate ka na lang sa Tokyo and Kyoto. 

Maraming sights to see doon.. for sure ikaw susuko :P

Lilacs

• GirlTalker
  • Pity!
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 01:52:02 PM »
chinita8

Sa Kiyomizu, mafefeel mo ang atmosphere ng Old City.  On your way up to the temple, maraming tindahan for souvenirs at the same time if you're lucky makakakita ka pa ng maikos and geishas.  If you love to dress up, may opportunity ka pang mag dress up as a maiko complete with make up and traditional japanese dress.

uyy, mukang ok to ah. feeling geishas. any ideas how much kaya ang dressing up like a maiko and geisha na ito for photo-op purposes?
\"Welcome to the wonderful world of jealousy.. for the price of admission, you get a splitting headache, a nearly irresistible urge to commit murder, and an inferiority complex...SOB! - Wrath

luckypal

• GirlTalker
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 10:42:54 AM »
uyy, mukang ok to ah. feeling geishas. any ideas how much kaya ang dressing up like a maiko and geisha na ito for photo-op purposes?

when i researched before, the cheapest i came up with was PHP10k. i think it included 3 shots: outdoor, indoor and i don't remember na  ;D sorry! but it's expensive noh? just thinking about going to japan is making me a pauper  :P
Gold is for the mistress silver for the maid
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
Good! said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
But Iron Cold Iron is master of them all.
Iron out of Calvary is master of men all!"
Rudyard Kipling

charlottemarie

• GirlTalker
    • I Think Therefore I Can
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 11:25:55 AM »
Don't forget to stop by Tsukiji market. You have to be there really early around 6am to enjoy fresh sushi!!!

greyzie

• in reHav
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 11:58:44 AM »
^^i think there are around 10K-yen...

Lilacs

• GirlTalker
  • Pity!
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 07:59:16 PM »
^ sis luckypal and sis greyzie, 10K!?? maryosep.  sabagay mukang madugong makeup-an talaga yun para maging mukang authentic na maiko or geisha, plus the dress pa.

really expensive talaga sa japan.
\"Welcome to the wonderful world of jealousy.. for the price of admission, you get a splitting headache, a nearly irresistible urge to commit murder, and an inferiority complex...SOB! - Wrath

greyzie

• in reHav
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 08:15:30 AM »
^hahaha! you pay for the experience eh. when we visited the nansenji temple, there are 5 girls dressed up as maiko and wearing the traditional japanese sandals. sobrang hirap nila maglakad! pinagkaguluhan sila even ng mga locals for photo op.

krock

• GirlTalker
  • live life, love more, drink harder.
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 11:05:11 AM »
question about tourist visa, is it really hard to get a tourist visa?
in my case kase, i am 27, lived and studied in the US for 2 years. tapos been to a lot of asian countries na din. got a new zealand tourist visa and applying for an australian visa.

with all those, would it be easier for me to get a tourist visa??

chinita8

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2010, 11:45:29 AM »
sisses Fabulosity and SushiBb ... another Q ... is Naha and Nara the same place? Naha i believe is in Okinawa, how about Nara? Ok ba dun sa places na yun? Thanks for your time! Im still fixing our IT kasi ...  ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:47:11 AM by chinita8 »

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.