Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day SUN 23 NOV 14
No boyfriend? No problem! Learn to be comfy in your own company--it will help boost your self-confidence too!
  • Good House Keeping
    The New Mrs. Pitt, Angelina Jolie, is on the cover of the November issue of Good Housekeeping!
    Good Housekeeping
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: tokyo  (Read 80888 times)

fabulosity

• GirlTalker
tokyo
« on: November 12, 2009, 01:13:21 PM »
Hey ladies! I'm not sure where the Japan thread went but I need help with my tokyo itinerary. will be heading there Jan. 18-22. been to tokyo twice already so this is probably gonna be mostly a shopping trip. Any recommendations on places where i can buy these items?

stuff i wanna buy: garcia marquez bags
boots
hard shell spinner luggage
cosmetics (chacott, rmk, kate, canmake, etc.)
sanrio goods
palty hair dye
transparent umbrella

Any suggestions on other must buy items?

Also, i need your thoughts on what to do early in the morning besides tsukiji, too touristy for me.

was planning to play pachinko, check out miraikan in odaiba to see asimo, hit the department stores like marui, tobu, seibu, laforet, shibuya 109, etc.
and any other unique things to do/attractions to check out in tokyo?

TIA  ;D

V_for_Victoria

• Junior GirlTalker
  • Call me Vic ;)
    • My diet and exercise blog on BelleToday.com.ph
Re: tokyo
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 01:28:44 PM »
Shiseido and Shu Uemura would also be good buys. :)

If I were to go back to Tokyo, I'd go nuts on the food, haha. Mos Burger, Tenya, and all the French patisseries. For some reason, Tokyo has a lot of them.

hannabishi

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 04:58:09 PM »
^There's a transparent umbrella in Daiso. :) If you're a big fan of cosmetics, Tokyo is the place to be.

fabulosity

• GirlTalker
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 09:58:44 PM »
noted

thanks y'all! btw, I'm having a tough time searching for stores in tokyo that sell luggages... any ideas as to which place got the largest selection of luggages in tokyo?

i'm also contemplating on buying a buberry blue label bag, any thoughts about this?

any suggestions on must buy electronics in japan?

thanks guys!

Diane

• Super GirlTalker
  • you're born original, don't die a copy
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 10:54:08 PM »
is Tokyo near Osaka? if from osaka how much would it cost to be in Tokyo? bullet train ba?

hannabishi

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 11:16:49 PM »
Nope. It's far. I think it's about 2-3 hours by Shinkansen (train). The fare for one way trip is around 13, 500 yen which is around less than PHP 7, 000 depending on the current exchange rate.

hulawho

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 08:30:06 AM »
^is there a cheaper way to go to tokyo from osaka?

wat_evah

• ~~love, love, love adventure, travel, food~~
  • Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 11:43:13 AM »
mahirap ba makakuha ng japan visa? tourist [textspeak!] sana  :)
~let's have fun, enjoy our blessings~

greyzie

• in reHav
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 11:53:38 AM »
^is there a cheaper way to go to tokyo from osaka?

hi, sis! highway buses are a lot cheaper...
you can check this out:
http://willerexpress.com/bus/pc/3/top/;jsessionid=0B6B4BCD841EAAE447D95A25D4B8A166.ap22bus2

"D period of gr8st gain in knowledge & experience is d most difficult period in one's life. Thru a difficult period, u can learn, u can develop inner strength, determination, & courage to face d problem. Who gives u this chance? Your enemy." -- Dalai Lama

chinita8

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 03:46:07 PM »
sis fabulosity, where are you staying at in Tokyo? any hotel accomodation you can recommend? Not too expensive but not too cheap either? this will be a vacation trip for me and hubby kasi.

since you've been there twice already, i hope you could suggest some "must see" and "must-go"  spots, landmarks, shopping havens, restos?

couldn't find the old Japan thread too ... sayang, that was so informative. where could we find threads that we want to resurrect kaya?

fabulosity

• GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 10:06:18 PM »
hi chinita8! this time, i'll be staying in shibuya excel but it's a bit expensive. though the tokyo metropolitan hotel in ikebukuro is an excellent alternative. subway is a 3 min. walk and shopping options are endless, and restaurants are plentiful.

must see places: harajuku on a sunday- a lot of cosuplayers showing off their duds
akihabara-electric town-especially if your a techie or if you wanna see otakus/otomes (geeks who are obssessed with anime/manga)
imperial palace garden
asakusa temple at night
odaiba-check out miraikan (museum) to see asimo (robot) and so much more high tech stuff

must do:day trip to fuji/hakone- being able to ride the shinkansen was fun!
tokyo disneyland or sea (only if you haven't been to the disney world in orlando coz you would be disappointed. a good alternative is the sanrio puroland)
tokyo tower(only if you haven't been to paris. nice views of tokyo. check it out during the night. nightlife abound in roponggi)
go to a maid cafe/butler cafe-just for the experience!
shop til you drop in ginza, shibuya, ikebukuro, and omotesando-especially the japan exclusive brands like garcia marquez, cecil mcbee,burberry blue label, etc. chacott cosmetics, sanrio(they only sell stuff made in japan),comme des garcon, samantha thavasa, etc. (btw, for cosmetics, try the deparment stores for brands like rmk and matsumoto kiyoshi drugstore for the cheaper ones)
tobu and seibu department stores in ikebukuro-largest in the world
play pachinko!
eat sushi at tsukiji market
namjatown in sunshine city ikebukuro-gyoza, ice cream, and crepe theme park

hope this helps!

Frenzied

• Superstar
  • Super GirlTalker
  • It's either you'll love me or hate me...
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 11:33:11 PM »
wow fabulosity! Thanks for all the inputs, I've been meaning to go to Tokyo. I have a friend who is based there so at least I can already save on accommodation!

fabulosity

• GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 02:52:42 PM »
glad to help!

y'all would enjoy tokyo!

other things that come to mind:
onsen (if you don't mind being on your bday suit)
kaiten sushi (I know it sounds cheesy but heck, it eliminates the language barrier, its cheap, and its fun!)
see an actual anime voice recording at the tokyo anime center in akihabara
cook your own okonomiyaki at a DIY resto
visit the ghibli museum
see and try the latest gadgets at the sony showroon at ginza
checkout and splurge at the fabulous depachikas (this is where you'd find the infamous $100 watermelons)
marvel at the buildings along omotesandoharajuku (love prada, comme de garcon, bape, etc.)
stay at a love hotel in shibuya (for couples only), even for a night

and I haven't scratched the surface yet! there's still so much to see!

can't wait for january!

Frenzied

• Superstar
  • Super GirlTalker
  • It's either you'll love me or hate me...
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 08:52:26 PM »
^ i think I saw those love hotels when I watched  one of the shows of the osbournes. what's the name of the girl? Basta she worked there and super nandidiri siya hehe

chinita8

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 09:33:30 PM »
^^^^thanks sis! fabulosity ... you were such a big help. i knew i asked the right person.  ;)

coldsiren

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 04:20:51 AM »
my friends and i are planning on visiting tokyo next year. we'll be getting a 4days/3nights tour package.

on the 2nd day of our vacation we'll be visiting these places based on the package that i saw: Tokyo Tower Observatory, Imperial Palace Plaza, Asakusa Kanon Temple, Nakamise Shopping Arcade and Tasaki Pearl Gallery.  Drive through Akihabara, Ueno districts, Ginza.

based on the package we have 2 afternoons free, 1 morning free until early afternoon and 1 day free. 
what else could we do there? where could we could?
how much should our daily budget be?
would US$100.00 a day be enough for food and transportation?

btw, is it easy to secure a tourist visa? my friend and i have travelled only in asia. while our other friend travels a lot (US, UK, Brazil, India, Australia etc) and i have a feeling that getting a visa would be easier for her since she's been around.

fabulosity

• GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 08:04:02 AM »
i've suggested several sights to check out and things to do ^

as for your budget, first of all, is the 100 bucks per person? if so, it can be doable...
figure about 20 USD for transpo (give or take, only if you're taking the subway and depends on how much you want to cover in a day) 10 bucks for breakfast, 20 for lunch, 30 for dinner, and 20 for misc. snacks...

i highly suggest purchasing a reloadable card like the suica or pasmo. would save you a lot of time!

as for tourist visas, the other ladies may be of help...

coldsiren

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 01:30:26 PM »
yes, the $100.00 is my daily budget per person. we'll be having our daily breakfast at the hotel cause it's part of the tour package.

20 USD for transpo, 10 bucks for breakfast, 20 for lunch, 30 for dinner, and 20 for misc. snacks...

is this for 3 persons already? thank you.

fabulosity

• GirlTalker
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 10:18:24 PM »
i think for 3 pax with 100 bucks, even if the breakfast is incl. in your tour package, you can only afford transpo and a modest lunch and dinner, most likely at a fast food chain, ramen place, etc. but if it's going to be 100 bucks per pax, very doable.

coldsiren

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 12:35:38 AM »
^^ thanks. usually when i travel abroad i set a daily budget for myself and it's usually $100.00 per day. but since tokyo is an expensive city, i'm thinking of increasing it. do i have to increase my daily budget to $150 per day person? 

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.