GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Any Hong Kong Pinoy Yuppies here???  (Read 24310 times)

TheReason

• Super GirlTalker
Any Hong Kong Pinoy Yuppies here???
« on: December 09, 2008, 12:32:06 PM »
Hi!  If anyone's out there (desperate plea), let me know. hehe.  It's just that since I moved here in HK it's been quite a challenge to make new friends.  First off, in the company I work with, they're mostly Chinese and they're already in their late 40's and even 50's.  Not that I have anything against more mature people but I'm 27 and I need to be friends with people that are the same age or near my age.  Kc pag masyadong malaki yung age gap, parang anak nila ako kausapin. :'(

And it's a small office so (population of 10) so it really hasn't helped my social life.  I really really want to connect with some HK yuppies as well, who might be in the same plight: naghahanap ng kababayan na puwedeng maging buddies.

So if anyone is just like me who wants to make some new friends, pls send me a message, or we can start here, maybe we can meet sometime (I live with my husband here who's also Pinoy and we're both 27) and hopefully form a bigger group like a barkada na rin. 

Never thought talaga that this would be my problem here, in the Phils kc I've always had lots of friends and always had kabarkadas everywhere I went so it makes me real sad talaga that it's so different here.

RichV

• Senior GirlTalker
Re: Any Hong Kong Pinoy Yuppies here???
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 02:12:45 PM »
I live between Hong Kong and Singapore (but mostly in Singapore these days.)

HK is a city that is a bit difficult to crack in terms of making new friends etc. But give it time, I'm sure you will eventually build a network of friends. In my case, I was fortunate that some of my former classmates from uni ended up living here, so I had an instant group when I moved to HK. And my fiance and I are in the same industry (finance) and we ended up running into the same people at events, parties etc and they eventually became our close friends. However, we also tried to broaden our circle and tried not to stick to only the same gang (e.g. in my case, I wanted to make sure I wasn't just hanging out all the time with my buddies from uni.)

Do you have hobbies? Or do you like sports? My fiance and I play tennis and he is into golf, running, etc. I took up many courses in arts (pottery making, an educational course on Chinese Art). We both made heaps of new friends this way.

The beauty and challenge of living in a new city is that it forces you to move out of your comfort zone and be proactive about finding news pursuits and making new friends.

What I love about HK is ang daming nationalities that live here so you are exposed to different kinds of people and it is a matter of time before you meet someone that you can connect with.

I would say broaden your interests and find new things to do or new hobbies to take up.  :)

candie

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 03:20:24 PM »
Yipee! may HK thread na...hehe

TheReason, I know how you feel kasi ages ago i was as desperate as you are. I'm working in new territories. how about you?

maricelserben

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 11:49:33 PM »
ask lang po... anyone knows or exprerienced mag backdoor from HONGKONG to other country like qatar?  kasi my hubby is working in UAE and he was hired by another company sa qatar. So mas pinili nya work sa qatar.Nag resign na sya sa uae at pauwi na sya sa PINAS sa FEB. 2009 para makapag bakasyon at dahil direct hire sya sa qatar... ayaw na nyang dumaan sa mahabang process ng POEA sa pinas  at doon na lang nya aayusin pag malapit na sya bumalik dito ulit.

So ang plan namin mag tour muna sa HONGKONG before sya pumunta ng QATAR. At ang HONGKONG  ang gagawin nyang backdoor papunta ng QATAR kasi kapag sa PINAS sya manggagaling papuntang QATAR ang daming hahanapin pa sa kanya sa NAIA. After ng pasyal... uwi na ko sa pinas at sya direcho ng Qatar. WALA PO BANG MAGIGING PROBLEMA PAG GANUN ANG GAGAWIN NYA? Please mga sis... reply naman po kau pls thanks in advance.

golivar2002

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 03:05:45 AM »
hi to all hongkong sisters! musta kayo. my family have plans to spend a few days in hongkong. baka may ma recommend kayo na budget hotel na maayos naman. tutulugan lang kasi. kindly advise po if meron kayo alam. thanks a lot!

candie

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 01:57:09 AM »
golivar2002, you can try chunking mansion in tst or hostels in causewaybay near times square. i think it's less than 300hkd a night but don't expect too much kasi maliit daw talaga.

OT: to ms.golddigger, pls pm me your email address kasi i can't send pm's pa.

blooming

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 09:00:35 PM »
Bakit nga ganun?  Mahirap magmake friends sa HK (as compared to SG)?

I was in HK for a while. Lagi ako na-h-homesick, nalulungkot. I guess I did not reach out then? kulang ang effort?  Mas hindi ganun ka-warm mga tao dun?

Now that I am in SG, am loving it!  Unlike my HK experience.  Do not know why. 

soulflygirl

• best things in life are free
  • GirlTalker
  • yo! spread kindness
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 12:30:38 AM »
yipee HK thread.
im going to hongkong this april,first week.
mainit na by that time?
gusto ko sana malamig parin.
Welcome to the GOOD Life =)

beck19

• addicted to photography, coffee, and TRAVEL. :) and an inspired
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Pay It Forward
    • beckster multiplies
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 05:48:21 PM »
^uy sis! kami sa august! share ng itinerary nio ah! and, uhm, according sa friend ko, nag Disneyland sila, better ask someone who knows someone na nagwork sa Disney, kasi may 3 complimentary tickets daw sila.

Sabi niya marami daw pinoy na nagwork sa Disney. So baka maka discount discount tayo. tee hee! :)
"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively "

http://beck19.multiply.com

apreal

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 02:16:27 PM »
ok napili nyo date ng pag alis ah...summer kc mainit nga lang but msarap mamasyal mraming sale... pag dating nyo sa airport marami silang map ng mga toutist spot. dont forget to go to NanLian Garden in Diamond Hill free admission and super ganda ng place.di kayo mahihirapan pagdating sa transportation i suggest mg MTR kayo pg bus kc mas mahirap ok dn taxi but mahal specially pg knonvert mo n sa peso.. Enjoy!!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 02:48:33 PM by apreal »
''Learn as if YOU were going to live forever, Live as if YOU were going to die tomorrow..''  -M.Gandhi

rovi

• Probationary
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 04:50:51 AM »
hello..for those who want to go to HongKong at gusto ng cheaper places to stay..meron akong kilala na pinoy ang may ari (at least feel at home kayo at safe)...advance lang dapat magbook kasi laging puno..its in Wan Chai-madaming night life duon at shopping...let me know..

ps..yung place is like ordinary apartment lang,dont expect a hotel like ..kung gusto ninyo makasave at ituro sa inyo ang mga places to go at hindi kayo maarte - then this should be ok..families is ok too kahit may baby pa :)

cheaca

• Go Gibo!
  • Super GirlTalker
  • GT Seller #154, I <3 HK and Paris
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 10:28:40 PM »
Sis rovi okay sana magstay diyan sa sinusuggest mo kasi lang hindi ako sanay sa Wan Chai mag stay.

Mga sis, help po, my dilemma is I already booked a ticket going to HK, pero I'm by myself lang. I usually go with my family and ako pa nga nagbibigay ng directions pero now that I'll be alone, I am feeling paranoid. Mga sis from HK, is it really safe to go there by myself? Would anybody like to accompany me kahit one day I'll make you libre or bring pasalubong galing  to sa 'pinas, pretty please? hehe I'll be going there on the second week of August.
Go Gibo! :-)

RedDelicious

• fulltime mom
  • Probationary
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 12:04:44 PM »
Uy may HK thread pala dito. I lived there for about 4yrs. before coming back to phils.last year lang. I suggest mga sis join kayo sa www.pinoyhongkong.com/forum

dun ako nakameet ng mga friends sa pinoy community.

OT: i will fly to hk tomorrow with my 7mo.old son.ask ko lang if ang mga babies ba magbabayad din ng airport travel tax 1,620pesos at terminal fee 750pesos?

tonette815

• LTS fanatic and a
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • need to save
    • just love pastel pink and purple!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 10:21:51 PM »
sis help naman magkano kaya ang ok na salary to get by living and working in hong kong? yung tipong makaka - cover ng cost of living plus being able to save of course.

kuLeTGuRL

• GirlTalker
  • 100% Action + 100% Belief = 100% Result!!! :0)
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 08:04:07 PM »
yeah okay din mag punta sa disney kahit matanda mag enjoy pa din naman kahit paano. then don't forget to go to victorias peak. ganda dun pwamis... better to take the MTR as suggested by sis apreal. minsan kasi pag nasaktuhan nyo na hindi marunong mag english [textspeak!] cab driver naku sigurado maliligaw kayo. plus color coding ang taxi duon. :)
We are all like the bright moon; we still have our darker side

sweetviolet

• GirlTalker
  • i can't sleep....... where's my coffee ?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 01:37:03 AM »
hello..for those who want to go to HongKong at gusto ng cheaper places to stay..meron akong kilala na pinoy ang may ari (at least feel at home kayo at safe)...advance lang dapat magbook kasi laging puno..its in Wan Chai-madaming night life duon at shopping...let me know..

ps..yung place is like ordinary apartment lang,dont expect a hotel like ..kung gusto ninyo makasave at ituro sa inyo ang mga places to go at hindi kayo maarte - then this should be ok..families is ok too kahit may baby pa :)
hi sis, how much at what type ng accomodation ang offer nila? para makatipid hi hi thanks ha

sweetviolet

• GirlTalker
  • i can't sleep....... where's my coffee ?
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 02:10:05 AM »
 mga sis na nasa hongkong , kumusta naman ngayon ang lagay ng h1n1 dyan? may alert pa ba? 

cheaca

• Go Gibo!
  • Super GirlTalker
  • GT Seller #154, I <3 HK and Paris
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 01:34:39 PM »
Mga sis, I'm planning on looking for a job there. How much ang rent dyan sis and san maganda tumira sa HK?
Go Gibo! :-)

delphinos2005

• GirlTalker
    • Pasion for los viajes
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 07:05:12 AM »
Sisses, I need your help please. My husband and I are moving to HK for work (Wan Chai area). I have a lot of questions re:relocation.

1. We'll be flying via Cebu Pacific (w/ 20kg baggage allowance). But since it will be a year long stay or more, ang dami namin dapat dalhin. Which do think will be more practical -- pay for excess baggage or have our things delivered via door-to-door?

2. Do you know any reliable door-to-door delivery service FROM Philippines TO Hongkong? (Mostly na nakita ko is FROM HK to Phils. Is it the same kaya?)

3. Any tips on apartment hunting?

4. Is it wise to rent an apartment in North Point/Kennedy Town/Tung Chung area? Or too far na?

5. Any recommendations re:real estate agent / apt owners?

Thanks a lot sisses! I am having mixed emotions about this move -- excited, scared, happy, anxious. Hope to meet some  of you there. =)

yuckywild

• Probationary
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 12:59:53 PM »
guys,

punta kami sa december..pede nyo ba ko tulungan sa iterinary ko..dec 22 3pm dating namin.dec 26 alis namin...

ito ang balak ko...

dec 22 check in
dec 23 ocean park
dec 24 ngong ping 360
dec 25 disneyland overnight
dec 26 check out then proceed to airport

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.