GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Do you lend your books?  (Read 54316 times)

shinta

• Super GirlTalker
Do you lend your books?
« on: October 09, 2008, 10:51:35 PM »
I always hesitate when some of my friends borrow my books. Ayokong magdamot pero minsan ayoko talagang magpahiram. Because most of them will just use it for casual reading and they won't take care of the book. Worst, yung iba di na nasosoli. Sometimes, I just buy another copy to replace them.

For book lovers, each book is important. Kaya talaga minsan pag nanghihiram sila, I always pretend na nakakalimutan ko palagi yung book.

Heatherette

• Super GirlTalker
Re: Do you lend your books?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 11:00:49 PM »
lol That's what I do most of the time. I love my books and they're so precious to me. So when somebody wants to borrow it, I always look into their personality. Are they the type who would seriously read the book or are they the one who would just borrow the book since they're not doing anything or they're not going to buy the book so they'll borrow mine. If its the former, I lend them my books with the following instructions: 1. never crease the spine or fold any of the pages; 2. don't dog ear, use a bookmark instead; 3. don't spill anything on it, if I see any yellow marks, you'll pay for the book; 4. don't tear any pages or even the plastic cover; 5. please return the book by this date. If its the latter situation, I always say that "someone" else already borrowed the book or I "forgot" to bring it and "promise" that I'll bring it the next time we see each other. I also have this policy that One Book Per Person. After you return it to me, I'll check the condition of the book and if its still in the good condition then I'll lend them another book. I guess I'm more stricter than the librarian lol ;D

jazz17

• GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 09:30:05 PM »
i only lend my books to people i know who is as OC as me. :D my family and friends know how i am with books so when they borrowed my books, they really handled them with care. i even apprehended my older sister when i saw her eating chocolates while reading my book. i told her to stop eating. though she ignored me and continued reading. :D

shinta

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 10:25:02 PM »
mga bad experiences ko with lending books to my friends:

i told my friend about a book i've read, sabi ko good read. di nya ako pinansin. but then one time, nagkita kami. she asked if she can borrow the book i mentioned before kasi she saw on tv na nirecommend sya ni ganito, so and so. so i lent her. after sometime, i asked her how was it? nagustuhan ba nya yung book and she said she didn't understand it. and she never return the book. tuwing magkikita kami sabi nya, naiwan nya sa bahay nila sa province. grrr.

then another friend, who thinks na "book lover" na sya since she was able to finish reading the harry potter book series, asked me to recommend and lend her a book. so i gave her one of my favorite and told her na medyo slow read yan, pero as you go along, madami kang insight na makukuha. then everytime i ask her how was it, she always says nasa simula pa lang daw sya at di nya matuloy yung pagbasa. napagod na lang ako ng kakatanong at kaka-intay na matapos nya yung book hanggan sa nakalimutan ko ng kunin sa kanya. gusto ko na ngang sabihin sa knya na if you can't appreciate it or read past the first five pages, sana ibalik mo na lang coz i really like that book. another grrr.

jazz17

• GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 11:28:55 PM »
^ hay sis, i also had friends who borrowed books from me but never returned them. i never lend my books to them anymore. kainis.

sima

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 03:11:30 PM »
Yep!  Gusto ko kasing mabasa nila yung mga magagandang librong nabasa ko na.

smash

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 04:04:32 PM »
The ones I really, really like - no. LOL. Nakakadala na kasi. Ang dami kong books na pinahiram na hindi na binalik sa kin. Or yung iba binalik nga pero ang pangit na ng libro ko pagbalik.

leily

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 05:37:38 PM »
I do but I'm very choosy with whom I share it with. I love my books and I want them to be taken cared of properly.
Knowing is better than wondering, walking is better than sleeping and even the biggest failure beats the hell out of never trying.

benchingko

• GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 06:17:15 PM »
my Harry Potpots, HB's and Gaimans are NOT for lending :)

dati ang hilig ko magpahiram, kase i want to encourage people I know to read. Pero ang dami ng di bumabalik kaya piling pili na lang talaga pinapahiram ko.
"Fairy tales, are more than true. Not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be defeated." Neil Gaiman

gwacie

• also known as Grace the Great
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • daydream believer
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 07:52:30 PM »
I'm very picky with who I lend my books to! I learned from experience - there are those who will return the books dog-eared, creased, stained, with ripped pages, etc. There are those who won't return them at all! And there are those who will lend it to others. Grrr....   >:(

I have only two friends who I can trust 100% with my books. One of them, I like really lending to, coz she always returns them with a plastic cover. teehee!  :D
I'll seek a four-leaved shamrock in all thy fairy dells,
And if I find the charmed leaves, oh, how I'll weave my spells!

Heatherette

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 10:04:44 PM »
^^Lol pareho tayo sis. Selected books lang ang pwedeng pahiramin, the not too expensive ones I lend pero pag may kamahalan at mahirap hanapin yung book, di talaga pwede. Buti nalang I'm the only Neil Gaiman fans sa mga friends ko ;D

chaucer19

• secrectly a tease and a
  • Super GirlTalker
  • It is an insult to yourself to envy someone
    • chaUcer
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 12:05:53 AM »
Twilight Series, Judith Mc Naught, Lisa Kleypas and Nicholas Sparks books bawal hiramin not unless sa bahay namin babasahin :p
Lead me not into temptation.... I already know the way..

Joycy

• Living life with integrity and order...
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • is in love with Kakashi Hatake
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 04:33:09 AM »
Haay naku...

I prefer lending money than my precious books.  :D
God tied u and I together by our little fingers with a long red string. This bond of destiny cannot be seen and there is no map leading to u. So i will fall in love with u when i meet u.

follow me @ www.twitter.com/Venus914

dolphingirl

• GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 02:10:23 PM »
yes, pero sa mga selected friends ko lang. kasi yung iba ang tagal bago magsoli. sometimes when they ask me if i have new books, i tell them none nalang. yung iba kasi pagbalik ng books, mukhang 2nd na lang talaga e, with folded pages pa.

jappsie

• The Globe Trekker
  • GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
mga sissies, nakakatakot naman humiram ng books sa inyo  ;D ;D ;D

I used to be choosy too in lending my books because I was worried they wouldn't be returned or they would be in a sorry state when I get them back. But later on, I just thought, fine,it's ok na nga as long as they really READ the book. And I actually find it more fun when after I read a good book, I recommend it to friends then we have a good discussion about it. Doesn't matter if they borrow from me or pagpasa pasahan nila.
I became the "librarian" because I they would always ask and borrow a book from me  :D

I'm proud to say that because of this, many of my "non-reading" friends were encouraged to read. They now enjoy book conversations and doing book reviews.  ;)

Paulo Coelho said: (paraphrase)
Books should not be punished to be left on the bookshelf
They have their own journey to make.

So, I only keep books that I know I will read again or my ultra favorites. Otherwise, I'm okay to lend them not minding if I get them back or not. I just always include a wishful thinking that they will be read and will reach many more eyes. Maybe through my books, more people will get hooked on reading.

I'm actually selling some of them because of lack of space. So my collection of hundreds have significantly dwindled...but I'm happy especially when I get some feedback na they enjoyed the books.
Feeling ko ako yung author hehe!  :D

To each his own...basta important thing...LOVE BOOKS and ENJOY READING!  :)

Promise sissies, di ako hihiram sa inyo hehe! ;D
The Earth is a book. If you do not travel, you have read only one page - St. Augustine

luisacart

• Senior GirlTalker
  • Never judge a book by it's genre.
    • My Adventures in Finding Mr. Right
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 05:55:25 PM »
me, too. I lend my books all the time. Sometimes, buwan bago i-return sa akin. As long as I have my favorites, 'yung tipong hindi lumilipas ang 6 months ng hindi ko nire-reread, I'm fine.
I'm not very O.C. with my books. Ndi nga ako gumagamit ng bookmark eh. I mean I like buying bookmarks lalo na pag may gusto akong quote na nabasa sa bookmark. But most of the time, I just end up marking the page i'm reading dog-eared style.
I also mark my books. I use a highlighter (bihira lang to kasi namamantsahan pati 'yung likod minsan ndi mo na mabasa 'yung nakasulat sa kabilang page) o kaya lalagyan ko ng underline 'yung quote na gusto ko from a particular book with a pencil.
Kapag nagbabasa ako ng fiction tapos may ginawa 'yung character na natatawa ako or kinaiinisan ko, nilalagyan ko ng comment na totally out of the blue about that particular scene sa bottom ng page. Tapos I'd forget about it and then after a while when I reread the book again, I'll see my comment and then I'd remember about it and burst out laughing. Kasi usually ang silly ng mga comments ko. halimbawa, when a character is totally obstinate, I'd put a comment like, "Ahhh! nakakainis ka talaga!" on that page where I just had about what I could take from that character. it's just a really silly weird habit I do with my books.
*WHEN YOU'RE FALLING, DIVE!~~

shinta

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 07:05:05 PM »
^^ siguro i wouldn't hesitate kung yung papahiramin ko ng libro eh talagang na-appreciate yung book. yung iba kasi, di naman nababasa talaga yung book tapos di pa sinosoli.

^ ganyan din ako sis, i wrote on my books. i feel they're personalized when i write on them.

FickleMinded

• ♥Proud Mom Of Two Boys♥
  • GirlTalker
  • I'm a B*TCH,Consider Yourself WARNED!
    • My Life UNSCRIPTED
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 06:19:14 AM »
dati oo,pero not anymore,some people don;t know how to take care of my books,they dog ear it or used pen as a bookmark and I hate it bec i also spent money to buy a great bookmarks para hindi masira ang mga books ko.

katie_21

• Senior GirlTalker
  • i love andrei
    • http://iloveandrei.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 02:53:47 PM »
i only lend my books to people i know na maingat but otherwise di na talaga ako nag papahiram esp. my fave books. Minsan kasi pag balik ng books daming creases and ripped pages.
I let the peace of God rule my heart and I refuse to worry about anything.

jyunho

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 05:09:38 PM »
I used to in high school. Nobody really borrows my books nowadays.

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.