Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day TUE 29 JUL 14
Learn more about your country while keeping fit! Take a walking tour in Intramuros or any historical landmark near you.
  • Good House Keeping
    The July issue is our Makeover Special! Be inspired by the weight-loss successes of The Biggest Loser’s Kayen Lazaro and Osie Nebreja, who entered the reality TV show simply wanting to lose weight but ended up gaining whole new (healthier!) lives.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Jumpstart your best body today with this month’s best foods special. Women’s Health shares over 100 of the best packaged foods for women, sourced from leading supermarkets, specialty stores, and delivery services.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Different Teaching Methods of Schools  (Read 4060 times)

chloebee

• GirlTalker
Different Teaching Methods of Schools
« on: August 18, 2010, 03:42:03 PM »
Hi! Please enlighten me on the different teaching methods being used now by schools and pre-schools. These teaching methods or approaches include Progressive, Montessori, Bank-street, Eclectic, Multiple Intelligence, etc. What are the differences and similarities? Please help! I am about to enroll my first baby in a pre-school and I need help in making the right choice. Thanks!

moiski

• Really now, I'm a
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • crazy for anything with style
    • Mary Kay
Re: Different Teaching Methods of Schools
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Any feedback on this? I would like some info also since i'm scouting for a toddler/pre-school for my almost 3 year old son.

Progressive is a philosophy that children should learn at their own pace. Multiple intelligence is not a teaching method but a concept that there is more to academic intelligence. This two are integrated. DAP naman or Developmentally Appropriate Practice means children are given instructions based on their level.

Any other input? Thanks! :)

schoolkidph

• Schoolkid.Ph
    • Schoolkid.Ph
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 12:27:40 AM »
Hi. I won't be able to say the similarities and differences among these teaching methods but I would like to make a comment on how this relates to choosing the school for your child. This is just my personal opinion and based from my experience..

When my oldest child was still a baby, I already had a target elementary school for him to attend. That target big school is a traditional school.  When my oldest son turned two, I went to each and every preschool in my area to inquire (I think at that time there were about 6 just in my neighborhood).  I got the chance to enroll him in UP-Child Development School, which is the first progressive school in the country (and still remains to be a laboratory school of the U.P College of Home Economics).  He enjoyed it very much, it was like play and yet they did learn many things. But still having that target school in mind, the year before he was to go to big school, I moved him to a traditional preschool. It was a good move, I think, because he was able to adjust to a traditional setting of learning and was able to prepare for the big school's entrance test. 

For my second son, I immediately placed him in the traditional preschool because he had a more "likot" personality and I figured the rigid structure of a traditional preschool would be good for him rather than one with a not-so-rigid one. For my third son, same thing... it kinda went automatic.

Many preschools now are in the "hybrid" mode, applying progressive teaching but as the child gets to the senior level (ages 4 or 5) in preschool (towards the big school" age), they introduce some traditional teaching methods. This is so the child can adjust and prepare for the traditional ways of the big schools.

If the preschool has their own grade school department (like Multiple Intelligence School, Centro Montessori, Maria Montessori), then maybe all this wouldn't be so important to consider. But there are more traditional grade schools and high schools now than other types.

The best really is to take the time to check out the preschools (offering different teaching methods) yourself. Some say they're a montessori school but actually have "modernized" montessori-style teaching already. Some hold "open house" where they invite parents to the school and they present their program. Many also offer trial classes and you might want to take advantage of that.

There are so many teaching methods now being marketed by preschools. I can imagine parents now getting so baffled at this. My way may not be common to others, but it's what worked for me.

...just my thoughts that I'd like to share  :)

Schoolkid.Ph
http://www.schoolkid.ph

- offers FREE printable worksheets for preschool and elementary level subjects like Math, Language, Reading, Filipino, Araling Panlipunan

Noni

• Probationary
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 02:14:08 PM »
Hi,

We have to first differentiate method from philosophy po.

Method, or pedagogy, determines how the school conducts its classes or teaches the students.  This is where we commonly have people referring to their schools as either progressive or traditional.  A more extensive discussion of the difference between the two methods are found in http://tinyurl.com/36lunos.  But suffice it to say that the main difference in the two is in the focus of education: in traditional schools, the teachers and the curriculum remain the focus (teacher-centric), and the students have the burden placed on them to keep up; whereas in progressive schools, the student/learner's unique (as much as possible) needs and paces are taken into greater consideration and much more individualized learning should ideally take place.

The hallmark of a true progressive school is not in its facilities or curriculum (so whether or not your three-year old can do fractions, or your five-year old understand the nuances inherent in a monocot and dicot plant shouldn't matter) but rather in the amount and level of personal interaction and involvement that your child's teachers are able to engage them in.  A true progressive school is able to actively stimulate the child's natural thirst for knowledge, and is able to satiate that thirst appropriately.  The curriculum and the facilities are tools which if used in conjunction with great and effective teachers are able to create a environment that provides a fun learning experience.

Based on this definition, there are "big" schools that are progressive, and there are small schools which are "traditional".  But more often than not, because of the economies of scale and cost, smaller schools are progressive schools.  But, again, not all small schools (whether these are preschools or grade schools or high schools) are progressive.

Now, the reason why most progressive schools are expensive is because they tend to have the best teachers, and they have to invest in their teachers' education and training.  The difference in the program between progressive schools and traditional schools is like the difference between a gourmet hamburger and one from a fastfood: both sandwiches have the same basic content (buns, burger, some garnish) but the difference lies in the preparation, execution, add-ons and presentation of the sandwich.

Now, the philosophy of the school/learning center/institution is the one which guides and instructs the program and the execution of the curriculum, the "method".  So it doesn't necessarily also follow that all "montessori" schools are progressive (but I believe all true Montessori schools are progressive), much as it doesn't follow that all traditional schools use outdated / in-appropriate means of education.

There isn't one sure-fire way to educate a child, that's why the better schools recognize that they're best served to be able to use and adapt the best features of the different theories around.  For the record though, I have to say that I believe ALL schools should have developmentally appropriate practices/procedures for their children.  That's non-negotiable for me.  It's like saying you have a chair without a backrest - that's a stool now, not a chair. 

All the other theories floating around: Reggio Emilia, Multiple Intelligences, Waldorf, Montessori, Bank-Street, eclectic (just means a mix of whatever; but, if this doesn't have a focus or hinge turns out to just be a big messy jumble of ideas) are theories and philosophies that guide how the preschools implement their program of education.

Good luck in your search to find a school which fits your child's temperament, learning style and personality! 

ichelie

• The Handy Mommy
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • I'm a Handy Mommy!
    • Handy Mommy, handy thoughts on on the journey as a wife, a mom, a counselor, and my own person.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 03:43:20 PM »
Well said Noni.

You have covered the teaching methods very very well. I would like to support your stance regarding my post in choosing the best school for our child:
http://handymommy.wordpress.com/2010/11/25/the-best-school-for-our-children/
The best life valuing the essentials - family, relationships, faith, & being my own person!
Parenting, Relationships, Mommy Wellness, Expert tips at: http://handymommy.wordpress.com

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.