Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day TUE 03 MAR 15
Throat feeling scratchy? Fill a shot glass with equal parts honey and freshly squeezed calamansi then drink up to soothe—and get some vitamin C!
  • Good House Keeping
    Get in the mood for romance with Good Housekeeping’s January-February issue and be inspired by stories of lasting marriages, plus we give you tips on how to look radiant in your 20s, 30s, and beyond!
    Good Housekeeping
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: SINGAPORE MATH  (Read 2355 times)

fibia

• Junior GirlTalker
SINGAPORE MATH
« on: September 02, 2013, 12:00:16 AM »
hi GT!

Do you guys know
1) any tutorial center (in Makati or Pasay area)  specializing in Singapore Math
2) any website which has plenty of practice exercises/activity sheets for Singapore Math (grade 1 level)

Pls  share with us how you teach this to your little ones.
my 6 yo daughter is in Grade 1 and they they are using singapore math, which is super hard to teach for me. I'm personally strong in math, but the way they teach SG Math is very different.

Thanks

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
Re: SINGAPORE MATH
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 09:01:19 AM »
Try Galileo or Mathemagis (not sure if meron sa Makati). :)

For websites, try schoolkid.ph or just google Singapore Math + the relevant topic - ang dami kong nakikitang exercises and even you tube videos explaining concepts and processes.

You may also try looking for the distributor of Marshall-Cavendish books in the Philippines.  My kids are using the "My Pals are Here" series in school and when I went to Singapore recently, I purchased the "Shaping Maths" series, also by Marshall-Cavendish, for practice and review.  I also have Longman's workbook.  Kung may kilala ka sa Singapore, pabili ka na lang either sa Popular Bookstore or Times Bookstore. :)

For me, Singapore Math is fun and easy to teach because it is process-oriented similar to the Montessori math that my children had during preschool.  In Montessori lang, the models used are actual materials that kids can touch.  In Singapore math, the models can be seen in the book, although may cups and sticks din na pinamimigay sa school ng kids ko.  Ang ginagawa ko lang, I also read the pupil's book (textbook) and understand the flow of the lesson.  Yung process important na i-break down mo sa kid mo into steps para hindi kayo mag-jump agad sa answer (which is ang nakasanayan natin sa traditional math).  It is crucial to explain to your child how you arrived at the answer by applying the process. :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:10:37 AM by marose17 »

sweety_paige

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 10:01:38 AM »
What topic are you in na?  My daughter is also in Grade One, maybe I can help you  :)
Remember my name, you'll realize how you let go of the one that has done nothing but just to love you.

ri-anne

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 01:45:32 PM »
sis fibia,  ok yung suggestion ni sis marose17. my eldest is currently in primary 1 here  in singapore, and they were given Marshall-Cavendish login accounts by the school for their homeworks/activities,etc online...marshall-cavendish din yung textbook and workbook na gamit nila sa school.

napansin ko lang sa singapore math, yes it's process oriented, and hindi straight forward like, a simple 10-2=____ will either be shown as a word problem (so dapat marunong na magbasa yung bata) or presented with pictures and number bonds.
 And sa mga simple addition and subtraction, they have to show the solution (ex.through number lines,etc)

recently they're already in multiplication and division....now sa gantong topics i find singapore math very useful kasi, aside from memorization, nakukuha nila yung principle behind..like 3+3+3+3 is like 4 grps of 3...and it will be in a word problem na everyday things ex. There 4 vases wth 3 flowers each. Howm many flowers altogether?
Division naman, "sharing" yung concept..ex there are 12 cookies and 3 children. How many cookies do each child get? Basta ganun....

dont worry sis kaya mo yan...iba lang sa nakasanayan natin....ero mas pabor sa kids...my daughter enjoys mathematics :)

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:22:29 PM by ri-anne »
Yes, it's true, (yes it's true) I'm so happy to be stuck with you
'Cause I can see, (I can see) that you're happy to be stuck with me

fibia

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 07:57:22 PM »
Try Galileo or Mathemagis (not sure if meron sa Makati). :)

For websites, try schoolkid.ph or just google Singapore Math + the relevant topic - ang dami kong nakikitang exercises and even you tube videos explaining concepts and processes.

You may also try looking for the distributor of Marshall-Cavendish books in the Philippines.  My kids are using the "My Pals are Here" series in school and when I went to Singapore recently, I purchased the "Shaping Maths" series, also by Marshall-Cavendish, for practice and review.  I also have Longman's workbook.  Kung may kilala ka sa Singapore, pabili ka na lang either sa Popular Bookstore or Times Bookstore. :)

For me, Singapore Math is fun and easy to teach because it is process-oriented similar to the Montessori math that my children had during preschool.  In Montessori lang, the models used are actual materials that kids can touch.  In Singapore math, the models can be seen in the book, although may cups and sticks din na pinamimigay sa school ng kids ko.  Ang ginagawa ko lang, I also read the pupil's book (textbook) and understand the flow of the lesson.  Yung process important na i-break down mo sa kid mo into steps para hindi kayo mag-jump agad sa answer (which is ang nakasanayan natin sa traditional math).  It is crucial to explain to your child how you arrived at the answer by applying the process. :)

Thanks marose. I was able to borrow the books of my officemate's children in Ateneo, they are using Marshall-Cavendish.
I might enroll her in Galileo or Enopi. Mathemagis is open na daw in Fort Bonifacio.

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 09:16:06 AM »
^ Is Enopi based on Singapore math?  From what I know, Galileo and Mathemagis are using Singapore math principles.

Maganda nga the "My Pals are Here" series.  It's also being used in the Singapore primary school system. I went to the booth of EdCrisch International (Philippine distributor of Marshall-Cavendish Singapore math books) at the Manila International Book Fair to purchase supplements pero ang mahal ng benta nila!  Definitely much more expensive than the books I paid at Ateneo and the ones I bought in Singapore.

I also attended an orientation for parents conducted by a Singapore official from their Deped counterpart and it is really very enlightening.  :)

tiggerlily

• Super GirlTalker
  • Whoa!
    • The Lazy Mama
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 06:50:03 AM »
I attended an orientation for homeschoolers about Singapore Math. We're using the curriculum for our Math kasi and how I wish na ganito ang Math ko before.

Traditional Math is full of rules, rules, rules that did not make sense before. As in, basta sundin mo lang kasi yun ang rule.

Sa SG Math, you get to know the logic behind it. And once you instill that into your child's mind, no more memorization. And Math becomes more enjoyable.

Medyo nahihirapan lang ako ituro kasi iba yung nakasanayan ko. The rules that we thought would make it simpler only made it look much more complicated. Heheh!

Anyways, I bought the teacher's manual na lang from the US along with the other textbooks and workbooks nya. I think mas mura sa US compared here in Manila. Not sure lang if compared with books from Singapore.

fibia

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 09:15:13 PM »
^correct ka sis, ang hirap hirap ituro kasi iba yung nakasanayan natin.

^^ sis marose i would also like to join any seminar kung meron pa, pls post here if there are any upcoming seminars in SG math :)

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 08:53:38 AM »
^ Sis, school kasi ang nag-sponsor ng seminar I attended.  It's jointly sponsored by Miriam and Ateneo.  The two schools invited an officer from Singapore's Ministry of Education to talk about Singapore Math and Science.  This is a yearly thing, I understand.  Sinasabay yata nila sa Manila International Book Fair (every September) because EdCrisch usually has a booth at MIBF. You can probably download a video of the talk in you tube.  Search mo rin the site of EdCrisch International.

Nakita ko rin sa Reedley School along Libis, nagkaroon din sila ng ganitong talk.  Nadadaanan ko kasi ang Reedley.

stormy

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 01:43:07 AM »
^^sayang nito ko lang nabasa post mo sis, last sat meron  ang mathemagis sa SSA hall. D naman ako nakapunta dahil sumabay sa school activity ng anak ko.

Malapit na yata magbukas yun sa fort nila.

tiggerlily

• Super GirlTalker
  • Whoa!
    • The Lazy Mama
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 08:49:40 PM »
Just found this from the galileo website:

http://www.galileoenrichment.com/events/?p=1355

stormy

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 10:24:39 PM »
Open na mathemagis sa fort. Nag-email sila kanina.

hunny_ally

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 09:13:09 AM »
in my daughter's school, although they don't want to explicitly say that the method they are using is singapore math, most of the techniques they teach are based on it. at first the parents are having a hard time adjusting since most of us know the old-school method. they scheduled a math workshop for parents to give us an idea how to go about reviewing our kids at home.

tiggerlily

• Super GirlTalker
  • Whoa!
    • The Lazy Mama
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 06:58:12 AM »
^that's nice. At least nag effort sila to teach parents. mahirap sya talaga ituro kapag hindi naman yun ang method na nakasanayan mo. Pero sa wordings lang naman sila nagkaiba. You use regular words instead of math words. like 1 and 1 more instead of 1 plus 1. I find that it is easier to learn for the kids dahil may practical application na sya agad which you can apply in real life. Kaysa theory muna tapos saka pa lang ang application.

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.