Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day FRI 25 JUL 14
Save money while getting the rest you deserve by visiting a resort during its off season.
  • Good House Keeping
    The July issue is our Makeover Special! Be inspired by the weight-loss successes of The Biggest Loser’s Kayen Lazaro and Osie Nebreja, who entered the reality TV show simply wanting to lose weight but ended up gaining whole new (healthier!) lives.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Jumpstart your best body today with this month’s best foods special. Women’s Health shares over 100 of the best packaged foods for women, sourced from leading supermarkets, specialty stores, and delivery services.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Starting Life in CANADA - Tips & Stories  (Read 118081 times)

brevity

• GirlTalker
Re: Starting Life in CANADA - Tips & Stories
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2008, 02:39:08 AM »
hi mga sis...i have read this thread and the other one which also discusses about Canada since i am planning to migrate there also.

i am thinking about applying as immigrant and finding and agency which can provide me a job and work permit.  which do you think is more advisable?  if i enter canada on work permit would it still be possible for me apply for residency?
Everybody needs someone to come home to...after the longest day - "Even Santa Fell In Love-Lea Salonga"

kikzzy

• Probationary
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2008, 12:09:22 PM »
so kung IELTS lang ang kailangan... gaano kaya katagal ang processing ng papaers to canada kasi diba [textspeak!] IELTS na-eexpire un..

abie

• GirlTalker
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2008, 05:19:16 PM »
sis kikzzy, i sent u 2 Personal Messages.......

starberry

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2008, 03:48:24 PM »
My family's set to migrate to Canada early next year. By that time, I am a college graduate na since I'll be finished with my schooling this March 2009. They'll be there by February, I guess. We'll be living in Saskatchewan and since I'm under Computer Studies, Information Technology to be exact, I understand that it needs continuous learning.

I'll join them by April and I would want to study short courses lang that is related to IT. Any schools/colleges/universities that you can suggest? It'll be fine kung hindi sya sa Sask because we have friends and relatives in British Columbia, Ontario, and Manitoba too.

kikzzy

• Probationary
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2008, 08:38:25 PM »
sis abie thanks sa PMs mo its a great help and nabalik [textspeak!] hope ko. haizz

abie

• GirlTalker
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2008, 10:20:59 PM »
^you're welcome, sis...

allredndizzy

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2008, 01:17:30 PM »
My family's set to migrate to Canada early next year. By that time, I am a college graduate na since I'll be finished with my schooling this March 2009. They'll be there by February, I guess. We'll be living in Saskatchewan and since I'm under Computer Studies, Information Technology to be exact, I understand that it needs continuous learning.

I'll join them by April and I would want to study short courses lang that is related to IT. Any schools/colleges/universities that you can suggest? It'll be fine kung hindi sya sa Sask because we have friends and relatives in British Columbia, Ontario, and Manitoba too.

Since you mentioned Ontario, I'd suggest University of Toronto (top school in canada) and Ryerson University (also a good school) because I go to both schools hehe! I've already finished university in the Phils. so I'm just taking continuing education courses to upgrade myself. Those two have different programs and I wanted to take advantage of both since I believe it will help me in finding a job.  :) It's both just a subway away from our place so it's no big deal... different days for different schools so I don't need to rush from one to the other LOL!
Life is suffering. It is hard. It is cursed, but still you find reasons to keep living.

Products I've tried

chinita8

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2008, 02:39:04 PM »
^sis, what course are you taking in both schools? can you give us an idea on how much these courses cost you? thanks!

ratacutie

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2008, 02:54:55 PM »
Kami naman, we applied under the simplified skilled worker application July last year.  We received the acknowledgment letter 3 months after stating that no processing will occur on our file for approximately 48 months.  So, I guess mga 5 years nga yan.  We dont have any relatives in Canada (well, meron but medio distant na although close to my Dad), but I have lots of friends there.  Ako yung principal applicant.  We are still unsure if we really want to go there...medio nagiging sure lang pag naiinis na kami sa gobyerno dito hehe. We just want to open the option for our daughter (and other future kid/s).  Pero, my husband and I discuss it a lot and more or less 85% sure kami na if Canada will allow us to migrate, we will.  I have siblings rin sa US, so ok na rin for us kasi malapit lang naman.  THis thread is very helpful for us din.

allredndizzy

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2008, 02:33:21 AM »
^sis, what course are you taking in both schools? can you give us an idea on how much these courses cost you? thanks!

Since I'm in the IT field, both courses I'm taking are geared towards web development (I used to work as an embedded systems eng'r in the phils & wanted to shift careers thus the upgrade). In both schools, the continuing education has certificate programs which requires you to take 6-10 subjects in order to get the "certificate".  As of now, I'm only taking 1 subject each school because it costs a lot. $599 PER subject and I think that's the minimum because my sister's subject which is more advance (mine is intro) cost $989. I can take the other subjects in the succeeding semesters. I think I just have to complete the whole thing in 3 years. While Masteral Degrees here cost around $7000-$8000 per sem.

But of course not all schools cost that much. Colleges are usually just half the price of those I mentioned but I prefer to enroll in universities for the same reason I would much rather enroll in universities than colleges in the Phils.  :P

And also even if you're still in highschool, students are already being classified on as to what type of school you'll get into. Depending on your grade or result of the exam... your subjects can either be categorized into "applied", "college" or "university". If your subjects are all for college, you can never apply to any university... ika nga pang-college ka lang. That being said, i think universities are the best choice.... mahal nga lang.  ;)
Life is suffering. It is hard. It is cursed, but still you find reasons to keep living.

Products I've tried

supergodesschai

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2008, 04:19:48 AM »
girls, would you recommend going through a college / university again in order to get a job in IT faster/easier? 

I'm in IT and I just got my immigrant visa for canada.  :) Im planning to move by March next year and will be staying in Surrey, British Columbia. Im just worried & confused if i could get a job in this same field or if i need to get some short course to get one....  ???

FickleMinded

• ♥Proud Mom Of Two Boys♥
  • GirlTalker
  • I'm a B*TCH,Consider Yourself WARNED!
    • My Life UNSCRIPTED
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2008, 07:11:09 AM »
here's all the information about Immigration(work,study,live,etc..etc..) application outside Canada.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/menu-outside.asp
it's their official site,you can also request/download all the application form.

FickleMinded

• ♥Proud Mom Of Two Boys♥
  • GirlTalker
  • I'm a B*TCH,Consider Yourself WARNED!
    • My Life UNSCRIPTED
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2008, 07:12:42 AM »
girls, would you recommend going through a college / university again in order to get a job in IT faster/easier? 

I'm in IT and I just got my immigrant visa for canada.  :) Im planning to move by March next year and will be staying in Surrey, British Columbia. Im just worried & confused if i could get a job in this same field or if i need to get some short course to get one....  ???

take your Diploma and all your training certificate with you and you have no problem getting a job you love.you don't have to study again.

allredndizzy

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2008, 11:59:46 AM »

I think it depends, some are lucky and so talented that they get jobs even with little experience but most companies require at least 3-5 years of work experience especially since you didn't get your education here. How many years have you been working? If you have a lot of experience and really good at what you do then it'll be easier for you to get a job. If not, there are "JSW" or job search programs that could help/assist you in finding a job. It's different from an agency because they really prepare you for a job like workshops on how to make Canadian style resumes, how to answer interviews, job laws, networking since most jobs in Canada are not advertised, they can provide you references and so much more which could really help you if you don't know how or where to start.  :) :)

Products I've tried

chinita8

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2008, 01:15:59 PM »
^sis, I hope you could guide us through this JSW or Job Search Programs that you mentioned. Is there a link or a website that you could share with us? I hope you could enlighten us on how this goes. Thanks, your insights are valuable.  :D

abie

• GirlTalker
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2008, 01:16:34 AM »
Im just worried & confused if i could get a job in this same field or if i need to get some short course to get one....  ???

hi sis. ang hubby ko sa IT din. software developer siya sa pilipinas. ganoon din ang job niya ngayon dito sa canada. natanggap siya agad sa first company na nag-interview sa kanya, luckily nasagutan niya lahat ng tanong sa technical interview kaya na-impress yung interviewer.

pagdating namin dito, bumili siya ng mga programming books. in-update niya muna ang sarili niya sa mga latest technology in programming, feeling niya kasi luma na ang mga alam niya.  nag-paid off naman kasi nagkataon na kung ano yung mga nabasa niya, yun ang tinanong sa technical interview. eh previously di naman niya talaga alam ang mga iyon.

goodluck sa pagma-migrate mo sis.....

kikzzy

• Probationary
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2008, 01:49:57 AM »
ei mga sis ganun ba talaga katagal un mga 3-5 years ang processing ng papers for migration?....

abie

• GirlTalker
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2008, 03:47:30 AM »
^according sa website ng canadian embassy manila, ang processing time for Permanent Residence Application (Skilled Worker category):

http://geo.international.gc.ca/asia/manila/visas/servstan-en.aspx

"Applications can be expected to be reviewed only 48 months (four years) from the date we acknowledge receipt of a complete application. 80 % of the cases are currently being completed within 62 months. For new applications, a letter acknowledging receipt will be sent within four (4) to six (6) months from the date the application is received, including a receipt for the processing fees. "

mas mabilis naman ang application under provincial nominee program.

pero sis kikzzy, di ba nurse ka? mas mabilis kang makakapunta sa  canada on a temporary work permit (TWP). kung IELTS passer ka na at may clinical experience (i'm not sure kung ilang years of experience ang required), pwede ka ng mag-apply sa mga recruitment agencies. tulad ng sinabi ko sa iyo sa PM ko, may mga nurses na nakakapunta sa canada na 6 months lang ang processing. tapos doon na kukuha ng licensure exam. then pag nakapag-stay na sa canada for 6 months yata (i'm not so sure), pwede na ring mag-apply doon for permanent residency.

allredndizzy

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2008, 05:08:14 AM »
^sis, I hope you could guide us through this JSW or Job Search Programs that you mentioned. Is there a link or a website that you could share with us? I hope you could enlighten us on how this goes. Thanks, your insights are valuable.  :D

Actually there are A LOT of government funded programs that could help you. You just have to decide and try to see what works for you and of course the location. Here are just some of the sites that I think would be really helpful:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/

http://www.jobfutures.ca/

http://www.tdsb.on.ca/_site/ViewItem.asp?siteid=9995&menuid=6511&pageid=5681

http://www.midaynta.com/aboutus.php  (this is the JSW we attended)

http://www.ymcatoronto.org/en/index.html (this is where I'm getting assessed and possibly apply for internships coz I have little experience)

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/tcu/etlanding.html

http://www.labourmarketinformation.ca/

Those are really good sites. Just browse around, don't get too overwhelmed. You will really learn a lot from those. I'm sorry that I couldn't narrow it down for you because you know what works for me might not work for you and all that. And at least you'll have a lot of choices. Once you're in Canada, you'll even have access to Employment Resource Centres which could provide you with a lot more information. Anyway, hope that helps. If you have any questions, just ask me.  ;)

Products I've tried

chinita8

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2008, 02:20:58 PM »
^thanks so much sis ... again very valuable information ... let me go through each link ... thanks!

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.