Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day MON 21 APR 14
Make sure everyone eats together at dinner every day so that no matter how busy you are, you always get even just a little quality time
  • Good House Keeping
    Find your bliss this summer! GH's guide to a calmer, luckier, and happier you. On stands now for only P120.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Real Living
    Real Living’s April 2014 issue is a thing of beauty, literally! The magazine’s Beautiful Homes issue features 43 pages which will inspire you to rethink your own space.
    Real Living
  • Women's Health
    Everything you need to score your hottest, sexiest summer EVER is in the Women’s Health March issue!
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: BAGHAGS: maintainance, storage and repair  (Read 95606 times)

avesoriano

• Super GirlTalker
  • Now a twitter newbie
    • AVE Organics
BAGHAGS: maintainance, storage and repair
« on: May 20, 2008, 07:34:04 am »
i want to start collecting those designer bags... but how do you actually maintain it store it and actually repair it? i read somewhere years back meron ata Dr.bag something sa shangrila? same owner as padudu i havent been there but they dont just repair vintage designer bags... from what i read they also restore them..

Oh and another thing? what do you do with stains? im sure you dont wash your bags? but how do you keep it clean?
either you hate me or love me...

0calorie

• GirlTalker
Re: BAGHAGS: maintainance, storage and repair
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 07:51:30 pm »
lv azur was the only problem i had sa lahat ng lvs ko. nagkastain yung base bec of my dark jeans. pero hinayaan ko nalang na mangitim.
after using any bag (branded or not), i always wipe it with damp cloth, inside and out. if may amoy (esp. resto food), i let it air overnight.
worse problem was my gucci which i only used 5times ata. nagbleed yung GG (navy blue) so i returned it to where i purchased it. they refunded me thru credit card pero lugi ako sa exchange rate. :(
another old gucci bag, nagbak bak yung loob so i had it fixed by mr. quickie. it was a big drawstring bag and i was charged 8thou for the lining.

prettynvain

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »
ako naman, di ko everyday ginagamit yung isang bag. i mean, if not everyday na nagpapalit ako ng bag, every other day. para lahat nagagamit ko, and di rin maluma agad. after using, pinupunasan ko if i know na nadumihan. then lagay ko dust bag tapos sa box. lahat ng designer bag ko naka-box, if walang box, naghahanap ako ng bag na pwede dun. pero with my pochettes na walang box, dun ko na rin nilalagay sa box ng malalaking bag. then never ko nilalapag kung saan-saan. as in todo ingat.

and since, dami na kong designer bags, actually not just designer, meron ding di ganun kamahal. it's just that i love bags, i have this cabinet/shelf na strictly for bag lang. pasadya yung cabinet, then glass facade. each layer for certain bag. pag yung mga hindi designer, samasama sa pinakababang layer. may humidifier (?) lang yung cabinet. i got the concept from ara mina.

sa marks or stains naman, nung bumili kasi ako ng gucci joy. limited edition yung color na binili ko. as in one color lang daw per gucci boutique (sabi ng SA). since friend ni hubby yun, may binigay siyang panlinis. but i can't read it eh. yung isa parang malapot na cream na for leathers (pwede daw sa LV) and then isa parang rubber lang, if tela yung bag, like gucci's.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 09:50:36 pm by prettynvain »
If yesterday didn't end up the way you planned it, always remember.. "if God had wanted your yesterday to be perfect, then He didn't need to create today..."

avesoriano

• Super GirlTalker
  • Now a twitter newbie
    • AVE Organics
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 08:55:50 pm »
OMG you mean you just let mr. quikie do the work? And do you leave it or you just watch? oh i will kill them if a girl will murder my gucci.. :)

anyone familiar with something Dr.bag... sounds like it.... the owner owns padudu of shang as well.... i read it in either inquirer or star newspaper... nagrerestore daw sila.

one thing good about lv nga parang meron silang lifetime insurance...once its damaged or stained theydo something about it 0calorie why dont you do that with your azur?

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 09:23:15 pm »
I keep all my bags in their dustbags,  all stuffed with their original stuffing.
These are kept in a big closet of shelves, each shelf with 1 humidifier (the 1s in plastic boxes from supermarkets).
Each dustbag is tagged with a pic of the bag inside.
It is only the Birkins that are kept in their boxes.
I put dessicants in each bag (at least 2 small pouches per bag -- which I buy at True Value in Rockwell).

Every month, I spend an hour to air the bags, inspect these; and general clean the closet.

The best way to maintain the bags, per the experts,  is to use the bag so that the leather doesn't harden.  So, do not buy bags to hoard -- enjoy these as often as possible. 

I have sent some bags for repair/replacement of the inner linings (even expensive designer bags' interiors get "sticky" or damaged due to age or continued long storage)  to Vintage Restore.  Personally, if  your bags just need cleaning -- use Applegard.  Vintage Restore charges too much just for cleaning -- it is their base price (depends on the bag size) then they add another/other  fee/s  on top of the basic cleaning for any repairs.   But if your bag is very damaged or has lost its luster due to prolonged storage -- Vintage Restore can resuscitate your bag.

Please share info on the alternative bag restorer; it would be nice to have a better-priced alternative to Vintage Restore.   (Thanks in advance)  :)

avesoriano

• Super GirlTalker
  • Now a twitter newbie
    • AVE Organics
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 09:47:55 pm »
honey... where is vintage restore?  ???applegard is available on hardware and diy shops right?

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 11:17:10 pm »
Vintage Restore is at the Dona Consolacion Bldg (2nd Floor) on Jupiter St.
PM you the cell no. (baka ma freeze ako dito, am not sure about the rules now on posting contact nos.  :D)

Applegard --  was given to me by a friend, from HK.  I am not sure if it is locally available. 

avesoriano

• Super GirlTalker
  • Now a twitter newbie
    • AVE Organics
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 11:26:17 pm »
^Thanks your really a peach :) ill let you know once i see one too... alam mo un you know something and then suddenly di mo maalala di ka mapakali... thats actually what i feel right now... nabasa ko na di ko pa maalala..

anyways... why are you looking for an alternative pla,,, very expensive ba to have it restored?

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 12:15:46 am »
^ Okay lang if the bag is damaged -- talagang kaya nila restore.

But if I just need it professionally  cleaned -- wala namang problema as walang stains or markings (ayaw ko naman risk with Besa's)  -- I find Vintage kinda expensive. 

The person manning the store is also kind of irritating.  Eh hindi ba Sis, mahirap naman padala lang sa helper --  hindi ma explain what you want done or ma - assess if what Vintage will do is okay.  Napaka tsismosa, as in talagang tsismosa -- and she takes such a looonnggg time to give  you that  piece of paper where she writes down the item you left for repair, the work to be done, and the charges (50% down).  I always have to cut her kwentos of other people/clients (alam kasi nya magkakakilala kami);  and stop her prying questions (alangan naman kwentohan ko pa sya ng buhay ko  LOL)  and tell her -- paki bilisan lang, I still have a meeting to attend.  Irritating talaga!   Pag inabutan mo naman ang may ari doon (sisters sila)  -- quiet si receiving person pero hard sell naman sa yo the sisters to buy their bags.

;D

jarjarbinks

• shame on you if you fool me once, shame on me if you fool me twice
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • life goes on
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 10:14:06 am »
sis aquacharly,  what is wrong with besa's?
"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future"

CoolChick

• Super GirlTalker
  • Well behaved women don't make history. :)
    • My Blogsite :)
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 11:23:38 am »
I keep my purses in their own dust bags. They said that it's not a good idea to store your bags in the boxes they came with because it won't give them the chance to "breathe" and that's not good for the leather. Dust bags are enough to keep the dust away and at the same time makakahinga sila. :)
What does not kill me makes me stronger.
But then again, what does not kill me sometimes makes me want to die. :)

Bloggitiy Blog Blog :)

avesoriano

• Super GirlTalker
  • Now a twitter newbie
    • AVE Organics
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 08:36:44 am »
dust bags are indeed great idea...i have some from the stores mismo pero some of the bags (the unbranded ones mostly) walang dust bags? any idea where i can get extra?

another thing i have some coffee stains lately with my rl houndstooth bag. how can i have it removed? so does with my burberry :(

CoolChick

• Super GirlTalker
  • Well behaved women don't make history. :)
    • My Blogsite :)
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 08:41:39 am »
Avesoriano, some people use pillowcases in place of dust bags. :)
What does not kill me makes me stronger.
But then again, what does not kill me sometimes makes me want to die. :)

Bloggitiy Blog Blog :)

trixie*tyra

• GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 09:00:18 am »
correct...   i use pillowcases pag walang dustbags.  Am now asking a bag designer friend to make me some dustbags.  As soon as I see its okay I will tell you guys

avesoriano

• Super GirlTalker
  • Now a twitter newbie
    • AVE Organics
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 09:12:18 am »
Avesoriano, some people use pillowcases in place of dust bags. :)

thats a marvelous idea... and i can make it in uniform... para di iba iba... although a printed katsa will be great

correct...   i use pillowcases pag walang dustbags.  Am now asking a bag designer friend to make me some dustbags.  As soon as I see its okay I will tell you guys

please please do..... will love to see your pictures as well for ideas.

anyway how about for the stain problem? is it a hopeless case na,,,aquacharly do you think vintage can accomodate my burberry?

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 07:28:06 pm »
sis aquacharly,  what is wrong with besa's?

Sis -- My perception is (personal ito at baka demanda ako LOL)  that they do not use top quality cleaning chemicals.  Naka sira kasi sila ng bag ko dati.  As in clean lang dapat -- wala namang diprensya -- eh nagka fading on 1 portion.  Tapos, my husband's shoes --  parang na over"treat" sa pagcleaning -- may parts na parang nabakbak.  Mula noon eh hindi na ako bumabalik sa Besas. 

But 1 sister says the 1 near UA&P okay. (Parang independent stores kasi yan -- franchisees so kanya kanyang tao)

If it is an expensive bag -- go to Vintage na lang parang sigurado Sis. 
Sana may alternative!  Mahal eh  :)

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 07:30:41 pm »
I keep my purses in their own dust bags. They said that it's not a good idea to store your bags in the boxes they came with because it won't give them the chance to "breathe" and that's not good for the leather. Dust bags are enough to keep the dust away and at the same time makakahinga sila. :)

Right, Sis COOLCHICK!  That  is why I keep all my bags in dustbags -- except for the Birkins (coz I often use them, sayang pera eh LOL).  I put them in their boxes coz sometimes, my helper is not careful in returning my bags -- eh baka patungan pa nya!  Ouch!!! 

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 07:34:21 pm »
Sis AVESORIANO -- Buti pa dalhin mo your stained bags to Vintage.  The LOL tsismosa receiving person there will be able to assess kung kaya nila or hindi.  Go, sayang naman the money you spent kung tambak mo lang in your closet.   :)

dcharmed1

• The Charmed One
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Forever Charmed
Is there a way to remove stains from leather bags?
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 04:15:20 pm »
I saw this really nice leather bag from Ukay but it has a stain at the back. It's like it was rubbed somewhere thus, the black color. It's not naman too black, parang dungis lang. Can it still be removed? How do you clean your leather bags anyway? thanks.
Hana wa sakura, kimi wa utsukushii

achengtarush

• Super GirlTalker
Re: Is there a way to remove stains from leather bags?
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 04:41:45 pm »
Naku ako din I'm waiting for your suggestions.

My Tita was a recent balikbayan. Binigyan nya ako ng brand new Marc Jacobs leather bag.  Kaso sabi ng Mommy ko sa kanya nakakahiya yong ginagamit nyang bag (kahit original Channel) kasi ecru yung color pero luma na at nanlilimahid.

Ayun peram daw muna ng uwi nyang bag.  Kaso pagbalik sa akin ang daming tinta ng ballpen :(

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
GIRLTalkers Talk about Shifting Careers in Their 30s
Before you take the big career shift, get some pointers from our GIRLTalkers who faced the career crossroads.
The Top 10 Legs in Local Showbiz
We round up the sexiest legs in local showbiz.
5 Quick Ways to Get Rid of Post-Bakasyon Blues
Get yourself out of bed and out the door.
FNites! What Reminds You of Summer?
Send us a photo and we might feature it on the website!
5 Ways to Reflect and Meditate When You’re Time-Bound
Whether you have five minutes or five days, a breather from all the deadlines and meetings will do you good.